PDA

View Full Version : continental market

young
20-Jun-08, 19:48
Anyone know if the continental market is coming to Wick or Thurso for the gala weeks?

ett23
20-Jun-08, 23:20
I was wondering that myself recently, but I'm afraid the answer is no. The furthest north it's coming this year is Dornoch, in August. The web link is here for their diary of events:

http://www.thecontinentalmarket.com/frameset/firstframeset.html

scorrie
20-Jun-08, 23:22
I was wondering that myself recently, but I'm afraid the answer is no. The furthest north it's coming this year is Dornoch, in August. The web link is here for their diary of events:

Pity, they did a damn fine wasp sandwich ;)

canuck
21-Jun-08, 00:25
I loved the Continental Market in Wick. I still remember the day that a huge storm came up and some bars of soap escaped in the mad scramble to get everything under cover. It was worse than a skating rink once the soap mixed with the rain water - one massive slippery slope in the market square.

Cattach
21-Jun-08, 04:08

Good news they are not coming. Grossly overpriced goods much of which you can get in local shops - especially Lidle and Tesco. Same cheese in the market twice the price as Tesco and no fresher.

northener
21-Jun-08, 08:34
Good news they are not coming. Grossly overpriced goods much of which you can get in local shops - especially Lidle and Tesco. Same cheese in the market twice the price as Tesco and no fresher.

Tsk, tsk Cattach! Such bad vibes.

Kindly direct me to the Wick purveyor of handmade pike terrine and boar salami, if you please. For I cannot obtain these from the two aforementioned hands-on, owner controlled small independent traders.....

Cattach
21-Jun-08, 08:55
Tsk, tsk Cattach! Such bad vibes.

Kindly direct me to the Wick purveyor of handmade pike terrine and boar salami, if you please. For I cannot obtain these from the two aforementioned hands-on, owner controlled small independent traders.....

Granted there may be the odd item in stock but that does not excuse the gross overpricing of pretty mundane products and not of a very high standard. For instance the brad and rolls on sale have been inferior to tha\t in two of ourT hurso sbakerys and much more expensive. Cheeses have been over the top in price and fresh fruit is no frsher than we get in our Thurso shops. Those are jst a few of dozens of products that are less appealing fom the market.
As for directing you to a Wick shop, I am sorry that you have such a limited range and I cannot be resposible for your local problems. I am talking of my purchases and observations at the Continental Market in Thurso and if the situation in Wick is diferent so be it.
Enjoy your handmade pike terrine and boar salami the former may not be all that it seems and as for the boar salami it is only made for a tough old, wild pig with which you will be well familiar with when shopping in Wick!
In case you think I have a vested interest here the answer is no. I have no connection with the Thurso rtail market and will take them to task also when necessary.

northener
21-Jun-08, 09:29
I'd agree about the bread, certainly. Don't recall any fresh fruit stall - so I couldn't comment.

My point is that the Continental Market provides access to a relatively diverse range of goods that are different and (in the main) difficult to come by up here.

At a time when the centres of Wick and Thurso are suffering a terminal decline in independant retailers, it is refreshing to see some colour and a range of goods that is not sat on another bloody edge-of-town national retailers shelf and it provides a bit of a focus for the town centres.

Regarding the cheese. Well, there were certainly a couple of makes I spotted (camembert and brie) that were available in the big supers.

But with your eagle eye for prices, I'm sure you noticed that although the prices were higher for these than in the supermarket, the rest of the cheeses were on a price parity with any decent independant delicatessen doon Sooth. But hey, if price is everything - don't complain when the town centres' even more desolate than it is now.

As for the quality of the pike terrine and the boar salamis, what an odd thing to say, Cattach. Do you know something I dont? Or are you promoting large retailers perceived quality over independant ones? With respect, I don't see where you're coming from with that statement.

Suffice to say that Pike tastes like Pike. I know what it's like!

(there's a song in there trying to get out...one for the Pike Marketing Board?:D)

Boar Salami tastes nothing like pork. It's a very dark and heavy tasting meat, very much an acquired taste.

You mentioned Thurso retailers. Well, I can't say anything about Thurso centre during the CM, but certainly in Wick, there were more people in the square than I've ever seen on a Saturday daytime in the past 5 years - this must have had a positive effect for the retailers in the immediate vicinity.
Once people get out of the habit of going into town centres - they don't see any reason to go back. We need to promote the centres more - not less.

Cattach
21-Jun-08, 09:57
Northerner says - You mentioned Thurso retailers. Well, I can't say anything about Thurso centre during the CM, but certainly in Wick, there were more people in the square than I've ever seen on a Saturday daytime in the past 5 years - this must have had a positive effect for the retailers in the immediate vicinity.
Once people get out of the habit of going into town centres - they don't see any reason to go back. We need to promote the centres more - not less.

Lots to talk about on the interesting and full posting but I copy this section above as I think it is where we would almost totally agree. Though local shops in Thurso have claimed that their sales are down when the market is here despite the streets thronged with people.
I was in Wick yesterday afternoon and evening and all I saw the town centre was 'a man and a dog'. So far Thurso, despite some comment to the contrary from some retailers, is not as bad and indeed can be quite busy at time. The areas lacking in shoppers seem to be at the Wollies and Arcade end of town and getting worse as the 99p shop closes. Maybe not a big draw but nevertheless not an empty boarded up window.
The Co-op has a loyal following in the county and the fact the Thurso branch is more or less in the twon centre helps to keep a steady flow of shoppers. Also having three excellent bakers and a good fish shop in the town centre is valuable. Finally the shops that have branched out into niche markets have helped in Thurso - Mackay's (Grocery not clothing) continue to extend their range of 'different' products and there are excellent Coffee Shops making shoppibng a pleasure - well almost. Cafe Cardosi and the Bistro plus all three bakery coffee shops draw town centre customers and eatin out at Central, Holburn and Pentland are good value.
If Wick and Thurso town centres are to retain shoppers they need to diversify - niche markets and items and experience not provided by the big supermarkets. Good examples of such shopping experiences can be found in Beauly and Nairn who are holding their own against the Invernes giants.

joxville
21-Jun-08, 12:09
-one massive slippery slope in the market square.

Such a shame no local councillors were passing through at the time. :lol:

Or maybe they were and relied on their experience of dealing with slippery slopes.[lol]

balto
21-Jun-08, 12:52
the continetal market was to expensive, i for one aint sad that it isnt coming back

telfordstar
21-Jun-08, 12:59
All i can think of on tis topic is those yummy little pancakes yummmmmmm

Kevin Milkins
21-Jun-08, 13:00
the continetal market was to expensive, i for one aint sad that it isnt coming back

Anything for sale is about supply and demand.
It is a bit diferent and nice to have a look at new products and some like northerner dont mind sticking hand in pocket to try them. If most folks in these parts are not prepared to pay then they wont come.
Its simply driven by the choice of the people.

Cattach
21-Jun-08, 14:20
Anything for sale is about supply and demand.
It is a bit diferent and nice to have a look at new products and some like northerner dont mind sticking hand in pocket to try them. If most folks in these parts are not prepared to pay then they wont come.
Its simply driven by the choice of the people.

They get a big financial incentive to come - they get paid by the community - in Thurso it is the Town Improvements I am told so what they make from the pubilc gets a good start.

Margaret M.
21-Jun-08, 15:51
Sounds like it may be worthwhile for someone to open an International market in one of the empty shops in the town centre -- stock the more exotic items that Tesco et al do not carry.

Kevin Milkins
21-Jun-08, 16:01
Sounds like it may be worthwhile for someone to open an International market in one of the empty shops in the town centre -- stock the more exotic items that Tesco et al do not carry.

Thats a very possitive idea Margaret ,the only downside to that I can see is that everybody will give you lots of praise and tell you what a great idea ,and then when you have gone to trouble and expense be told you are to dear or the opening hours are not quite right:confused

Thurso Town Improvements
21-Jun-08, 21:36
They get a big financial incentive to come - they get paid by the community - in Thurso it is the Town Improvements I am told so what they make from the pubilc gets a good start.

The Continental Market did not get paid to come up to Thurso by The Thurso Town Improvements Association or anyone else, they funded themselves.

They are not returning to Thurso this year due to distance, the high price of fuel and a couple of other reasons.

They paid for their own accommodation, food, advertising and pitch plus donated prizes for the Gala and money towards the TTIA's advertising.

A Councillor put a bit in the local paper (last year or the year before) advising everyone they did not fund the market.

The market had the backing of most of the businesses in Thurso.

The town was certainly buzzing and some of the Thurso traders say their trade was up the last two years when the market was here.

Some of the things were indeed expensive but a lot of people wandered into the local shops instead.

Doreen Macleod TTIA Chairwoman.

JamesMcVean
23-Jun-08, 23:33
We bought some smoked garlic bulbs from the market when it was in Wick a couple of years back...mmmmm

But now Maxwell's in Thurso do it!

Yipee:)

Oh and when it was in Thurso last time...we got nuts! Lots and lots of nuts...very nice but EXPENSIVE Nuts!!

AfternoonDelight
24-Jun-08, 11:02
This is yet another example of the small mindednesss and insular attitude of people in Caithness. How many people do you hear saying things like "nothing ever comes here" or "there's nothing to do"or "well WE have to go 100 miles to get a decent shop"...

I do, I hear it the whole time. Then the big shops came and we got choice but that wasn't good enough because the town centres suffered.

Now people don't want the continental market because it's "too expensive"...

Blah blah blah...

We should be welcoming things like this with open arms! It gets people out and about, it gets them into local shops, it brings people together with a sense of community. Even if you only buy a tub of olives or a bracelet, it's worth a look and a couple of pounds. So what if you can get the stuff in Tesco for cheaper... they are already taking over the world, help them if you must!

We should be embracing things like the continental market, what with this and the gaelic road signs, we are in real danger of becoming a county of moaners that are so apposed to change and different experiences, soon nothing will want to come here at all... ever...including tourists...

Then we'll have a good moan about that as well, no doubt... :roll:

gardeninginagale
24-Jun-08, 22:46
AfternoonDelight, I don't quote, 'cos your post is just above this, so no need to waste webspace.

I don't think I have ever read a post I so fully agree with.

But may I just add something? Never mind the continental market, where is the local market? Why is there no Farmer's market in Caithness? We have small local producers, who struggle to make a living because they can't supply supermarkets, and they are not wealthy enough to grace the table of the elite and exclussionist Mey Selections. Mey Selections is for an elite few, what about the rest? What about the small producers? Surely a farmer's market is the answer?

There may be many for whom price is the only consideration, and they will always go to Lidl. Tell me about it, I have that tee shirt. Times, I have had no option but to go to Lidl. And a cheap supermarket is essential to any community.

But there are a helluva lot of people in Caithness who just want to buy good, local food, and they are being denied the opportunity. Whose help do we need? Case, obviously. And our Local Authority. Neither of which seem inclined to support the idea.

So is there support for the concept of a Farmer's Market in Caithness? Or are we so Tesco-ised that I am wasting my time by even thinking aloud?

northener
25-Jun-08, 08:38

So is there support for the concept of a Farmer's Market in Caithness? Or are we so Tesco-ised that I am wasting my time by even thinking aloud?

Alas, I think you only have to look at the amount of Webspace on the forum devoted to Tescos discussions to provide an answer your question.

Gogglebox
25-Jun-08, 18:26

It always amazes me when i hear this rubbish and i am curious as to who starts it and why?
Of all the subjects to make up incorrect rumours the Continental Market is a fairly long shot and again Why?!!

However, in the interests of fairness, Cattach I challenge you to prove your claim or as they say in the press reveal your source!!! lol

The difficulties with the Farmers Market is not just getting the appropriate licence but ensuring local producers comply with all the health & hygiene rules there now are. Plus then youve got to ensure that everyone is working within the cooperative.

A lot of the local shops are sometimes a bit iffy about the thought of a regular market a one off Continental Market type idea is ok but regular is not often appreciated the same

Tony
25-Jun-08, 20:42
I seem to recall the last time the Continental Market was in Thurso the Town was thriving including many tourists. This would have been about teatime and most of the shops were closed/closing.:roll: