PDA

View Full Version : help me find my way

tigger2u
19-Jun-08, 23:28
hello again all.
I'm finding some areas of Caithness difficult to track down so again I ask for you help. I know a family memeber was born in a place called Fisherbiggings, Thurso.
I tried looking it up on the maps but not had any success yet.

Thanks all for all the help so far with finding my way around lol

gollach
19-Jun-08, 23:36
That's the area near Thurso Harbour. Get your map out and look for places like back shore street, kirk view and you will be in the right part of the town.

2little2late
19-Jun-08, 23:39
Maybe this is what you are looking for.
http://www.scotland-index.co.uk/tighna/abhainn.htm

futurelegends
19-Jun-08, 23:40
Follow this link below and you can see the Fisherbiggins area of Thurso, near old St. Peters Church (recognise the round building?).

http://www.picsearch.com/pictures/travel/cities/north%20and%20central%20america/canada/cities%20r-z/thurso.html

Baconbuttie
19-Jun-08, 23:43
Head up shore street from thurso harbour towards woolies and its the first cottage on the left

tigger2u
23-Jun-08, 03:13
Thanks for those links I'll be looking further into the pics too

If its around Back Shore St, does that mean Fisherbiggings is an area around there and if so would that include Wilson St ?

I have just found Fisherbiggings marked on as a birth place but wouldnt they just put Wilson St ?

Thanks

Cattach
23-Jun-08, 07:26
Thanks for those links I'll be looking further into the pics too

If its around Back Shore St, does that mean Fisherbiggings is an area around there and if so would that include Wilson St ?

I have just found Fisherbiggings marked on as a birth place but wouldnt they just put Wilson St ?

Thanks

Caertainly not. Ther Fisherbiggins was a very distinct area of the town inmhabitated by the fishing community of Thurso who plied their trade from Tghurso Harbour - a very bus harbour in the 19th C. I may be wrong but I do not think Wilson Street was in min part of the Fisherbiggins and may indeed have ben as close to the Cowgate as the Fisherbiggins.
The Fisherbiggins had a culture and society structuire all of its own. Shore area is and around there is my impression of the area. As the mention of a cottage in isolation by one posting I am sure this is not a Fisherbiggins your reference is to. It may be in the Fisherbiggins and there may even by a residence call ed that but that is all.