PDA

View Full Version : St Kilda

highlander
19-Jun-08, 22:21
Just finished watching Britain's Lost World on BBC 1, it is a three part programme, so if you missed it well worth to catch it again on BBCi.
Its hard to imagine how life must have really been, to have only fish and birds to eat, for the men to climb down steep rock edges in thier bare feet just to catch these birds in all weathers. Today we are so spoilt with all our mod cons, probably the nearest we get to roughing it, is when we go camping. lol

Kevin Milkins
19-Jun-08, 23:57
Just finished watching Britain's Lost World on BBC 1, it is a three part programme, so if you missed it well worth to catch it again on BBCi.
Its hard to imagine how life must have really been, to have only fish and birds to eat, for the men to climb down steep rock edges in thier bare feet just to catch these birds in all weathers. Today we are so spoilt with all our mod cons, probably the nearest we get to roughing it, is when we go camping. lol

I didn't see it but willl catch it on BBCi. I like those type of programes as it does help you to not take for granted the easy lifstyle we have.
I here shouts in the distance "We were poor ,but we were happy" lol

Rheghead
20-Jun-08, 09:38
There is actually a quirky Caithnessian connection with St Kilda. There was an official mix up with a Sunderland flying boat crash on St Kilda and the one at Dunbeath. In some reports, the Duke of Kent died on St Kilda in that crash that happened 2 years later. Weird or what?

Kenn
20-Jun-08, 09:45
Was fascinated by the programme will definitely be watching the next episodes.

Tighsonas4
20-Jun-08, 20:19
only got the last 15 minutes but good to know it will be on again
wonder how much of that determination to survive exists today tony

Angela
20-Jun-08, 20:47
I found it very interesting - there was so much I hadn't known about the place and its inhabitants and I'm looking forward to the next two episodes. Maybe I'll finally get round to starting at least one of the two books I have sitting unread on a shelf- the titles might be of interest to someone.... :)

Tom Steel - 'The life and Death of St Kilda'
Charles Maclean - 'St Kilda, Island on the Edge of the World.'

embow
20-Jun-08, 23:10
Tom Steel's book is thee definitive book on St Kilda.
Look inside it and find a picture of a young lady in headscarve with a scythe in her hand and you are looking at Rachael Gillies. Rachael was a family friend and married a Bob Milne. They lived in Culross in Fife for many years. Rachael's only sister(no brothers) lived nearby in Kincardine-on-Forth. In all the years I knew Rachael she never ever spoke about her early years on Hirta. It was a memory locked away from a different era and way of life so different to what she came into on the mainland. Just too painful to recall in all honesty.
Why were they in Fife? They went to join the Ferguson family who had the Post Office on St Kilda. The Ferguson's were put there to work in Devilla forest. Ironic given that no trees grew on St Kilda!
More info at www.kilda.org.uk

A good site.

embow
20-Jun-08, 23:18
Forgot to mention that there are only two native St Kildans still alive. One is Norman Gillies(I think) age 86/87 who lives in the Ipswich area. The other is a lady whose name I can't immediately recall. I think she stays in the Glasgow area. Both were but young children when they evacuated the island archipelago.

Angela
21-Jun-08, 12:06
Tom Steel's book is thee definitive book on St Kilda.
Look inside it and find a picture of a young lady in headscarve with a scythe in her hand and you are looking at Rachael Gillies. Rachael was a family friend and married a Bob Milne. They lived in Culross in Fife for many years. Rachael's only sister(no brothers) lived nearby in Kincardine-on-Forth. In all the years I knew Rachael she never ever spoke about her early years on Hirta. It was a memory locked away from a different era and way of life so different to what she came into on the mainland. Just too painful to recall in all honesty.

embow, I've just found her picture, that's amazing. She does look like someone from a very different time. I'd not really given much thought to what happened to the islanders after they left St Kilda and it's fascinating to see Rachael's picture and to know something of her later life.

Thanks a lot!:) and thanks for posting the link as well.:)

Cattach
22-Jun-08, 12:52

Would love to go there. I was tempted when work groups were being set up years ago toreinstate walls and tidy up various aspects of the island but did not get round to it. Presuure of work and finding the finance but maybe someday!