PDA

View Full Version : R/C aircraft

dessie
19-Jun-08, 18:51
is there any one interested in flying model aircraft..and is there a club..

the_count
19-Jun-08, 19:36
not seen anyone flying them around here dessie but i know that they have a R/C boats club :D

EDDIE
19-Jun-08, 20:43
Only thing u have to watch for if u get a nitro or petrol model aircraft there noisy and u cant fly them anywere the electric ones u can fly them anywere were there aint public people going about.
The reckon its better to buy a model flight simulater first and learn on that saves a lot of money in crash repairs

the_count
19-Jun-08, 21:21
crash repairs are what makes the hobby so much fun lol i spenhours and hours repairing wings and tail parts on my gliders :lol:

EDDIE
19-Jun-08, 22:40
Well i bought a bladecx2 indoor helicopter to start with and its a very controllable helicopter doesnt like any wind i take to my work and fly it in the workshop were there is plenty space and its fun to play but i have lost track on how much blades i have bought for it to be honest about it takes about 7 sets of blades before u start getting the hang of it but i do enjoy playing with and im going to have to get an outdoor helicopter now from what i gather its the bigger the size and weight determines how stable it is in the wing but i will find out shortly.

dessie
25-Jun-08, 15:46
also EDDIE.dont forget that helicopters are a lot harder to fly than helicopters..and its also advisable to learn to fly model aircraft.so as to get used to the controls...they are very sensative......i have 6 model planes i dont fly them because its very dificult to get the fuel up here..also you need a licence to fly them,,,,,,Dessie:lol:

the_count
26-Jun-08, 17:33
Gawd do ya have to have a license for em these days ... never had one when i was flying gliders :roll:

EDDIE
26-Jun-08, 17:59
also EDDIE.dont forget that helicopters are a lot harder to fly than helicopters..and its also advisable to learn to fly model aircraft.so as to get used to the controls...they are very sensative......i have 6 model planes i dont fly them because its very dificult to get the fuel up here..also you need a licence to fly them,,,,,,Dessie:lol:

You dont need a licence all you need is permission of the land owners and its advised to get insurance if u fly them in case of any accidents a lot of people ar moving onto electric now because there more park friendly and less noisy as long as you fly your model in an area were there is no public going about there isnt a problem thats what i have been told

dessie
27-Jun-08, 12:10
EDDIE..you do need a insurance licence.for flying nitro aircraft..i have been flying them for 20 yrs and needed the insurance..its not very dear maybe about 30£ just not to sure....since i moved from n/ireland....also ..R.C.M.E..were the group that you got your cover from.....Dessie.....:lol:

EDDIE
28-Jun-08, 16:25
Dessie i dont have cover im not that far on yet ive been playing with bladecx2 its indoor helicopter ive grown out it im wanting an outdoor helicopter now but i cant make up my mind what to go for i think its going to be an outdoor electric one i do fancy the nitro but i think we bit to intimdating for me with the noise and the speed the blades go at i think its about 200 mph so i have been told and i dont fancy that crashing into me i think the electric helicopter u can fly it in more places because its not so noisy only trouble with that is you only get 1o mins of fly time were a petrol u can 20 to 25 mins thats the downside of an electric.I Know if u join any model club u can get insurance that way

the_count
28-Jun-08, 18:12
OK did a bit of digging on the internet and apparently there used to be a caithness aeromodellers club that used to fly at Thurdistoft airfield (not sure where that is) but other than they no longer fly from there now there is nothing up this far north (i will keep looking) so does anyone know anywhere that could be used for starting up some sort of club? :D

EDDIE
28-Jun-08, 18:41
OK did a bit of digging on the internet and apparently there used to be a caithness aeromodellers club that used to fly at Thurdistoft airfield (not sure where that is) but other than they no longer fly from there now there is nothing up this far north (i will keep looking) so does anyone know anywhere that could be used for starting up some sort of club? :D

Just as a suggestion if it was indoor flying like indoor helicopters if there were a demand for it u could hire a hall for like a morning or afternoon and charger an entrance fee for people to come in and fly there indoor aircrafts to pay for the hire failing that u would have to ask the local council if they had any area that they would give u permission to fly or failing that u would have to get permision of a landowner. im lucky there is 2 clubs in aberdeen that do outdoor flying.

octane
12-Oct-08, 12:38
I was so tempted to get something similar to this ages ago

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/28218/the_hydro_foam/

Even Chance
12-Jan-09, 10:50
The Caithness Model Aeromodellers Club is still going strong and flying regularly.
I will find a contact address/number and post it here.
They now fly from the west end of the runway at Dounreay, and there is also a site at the Wick end of the county, at Sarclet, that I fly from regularly.

castlehill
24-Jan-09, 23:21
I probably still have all the contacts tucked away somewhere, if you pop into the Bike Shop in Thurso Sam will give you all the info you need though. If you pay a small membership fee you can purchase a Scottish Aeromodelers Assossiation insurance for about 35 pounds a year, takes care of all your public liabilities issues.