PDA

View Full Version : this is sad

K dragon
02-Dec-05, 18:39
okay, this is getting sad.

is anyine else having this problem of finding a fricken drummer?

one that will A: answer the post or ad.
B: keep up email contact.
C: manage a yes no answer.

im starting to think i might have to pick one out of the bloody high school through the music dept.

uugggh!!

Uppiebalad
02-Dec-05, 20:37
I have notice that communication problem elsewhere. Caithness people are bad for it I have to say and I'm one.
I always prefer a flat no from people when they are not interested. I've seen people reply to forum request yet having nothing to offer making me wonder why they replied in the first place.
another trait common in our area is the unwillingness of person to work as a group. They all want to be little starlits in their own play/band/movie. (delete as appropriate). Ego's alas get in the way of talent and possabilities.

K dragon
03-Dec-05, 13:54
i remember back years ago, everyone was in to performing, and although it was just for fun and what not, they took it way more seriously than they do toady. its all a major popularity bid, espicially the high schoolers.

dont get me wrong very talented, but lets face it, everyone wants to get on stage and be seen not heard.

Uppiebalad
03-Dec-05, 20:53
There does seem to be a lot of that. Perhaps it's all those get famous TV shows influencing the youngsters. If you want to make a real mark in the music world or film or theatre even, ability is the most important ingrediant.
There is a lot of talent in Caithness but people often underestimate their own abilities or fear ridicule. Caithness is frequently bad to it's own. When a youngster shows interest and/or ability it is often crushed with negative comments. Our geographical position is put up as an excuse for not being able to do things. CFT Group often complain that the only thing that causes problems for them getting films off the page is the lack of people willing to take part. They are even aware of an active contingent who deswade people from taking part in their work. This year they have still finished a film, and assisted in several others while continuing to film local events and activities. They encourage original creativity and want people to get involved but often find attitudes towards their work very negative. I agree with their views and I think the music side of things suffers up here for the same reasons.
Although CFT Group have that constant complaint the one thing they don't do is let it stop them getting on with the job.
The bottom line is if you are any good (or totally bad) you will be noticed and if fame is your prime target you will get there.

The Pepsi Challenge
07-Dec-05, 05:10
I see your point(s).

In a lot of ways Caithness is like an architect's model: lots of people doing things on their own in different places, yet not coming together for the greater good. (In my day - he says...) There was no fear of ridicule, in fact, it was ridicule and criticism that inspired me - and the many other creative people I was associated with in the Caithness area - to be creative, confront and challenge people with something, we thought at least, was new and original. I urge all young bands and creative people in Caithness to put aside pride and any self-consciousness and not be afraid to try something original and inventive. Anyway, my point is...

Caithness once had a thriving music scene, was one of the top places for breakdancing, had a BMX, skateboarding and surfing culture to rival that of major cities, and has produced many winning receipients in the Queen's honours list. Granted, the surfing 'scene' enters prominence in fits and starts, and it is encouraging to see at least some bands (whether they play original music or not) trying to generate some get-up-and-go. So let's keep the fires buring, shall we, eh?

Uppiebalad
07-Dec-05, 22:10
People are often at their most productive and or creative when raging like a bull. It's caused by the adrenalin rush that accompanies anger. There's no business like show business! Let's go on with the show!