PDA

View Full Version : Highland Administration

blackcat
19-Jun-08, 11:33
Just read that the Highland Coalition has collapsed!

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/698368 (http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/698368)

Will bad decisions be reversed? Maybe Wick High will gain higher priority!!

peter macdonald
19-Jun-08, 13:07
You mean like putting the £5 million ++ that is earmarked for the "new" council building in Wick into WHS?? Oh yes I forgot it is from a different budget ...ah yes silly me I hope the councillors and officials remember who contributes the funds for these schemes and pay heed
PM

Venture
19-Jun-08, 13:19
I had this sent to me last week re the Campaign for a new Wick High School.

MSP promises action for Wick High School
Highlands and Islands Labour MSPs Peter Peacock, Rhoda Grant and David Stewart are asking the Scottish Government when the first brick will be laid for a new Wick High School.
During a debate in the Scottish Parliament this morning over the cuts in the education system the SNP’s depute Convener of Education, Rob Gibson said that his party’s Scottish Future’s Trust could “provide a way forward for” the school.
“What Rob Gibson has said is completely at odds with what SNP Ministers have been saying as it is clear the Scottish Futures Trust contains not a single penny of finance. However I am delighted that Mr Gibson has made this commitment in Parliament. I am sure the pupils, staff, parents and Education officials at Highland Council will look forward to hearing his detailed plans for when and how they will get the finance for the new school," said David Stewart.
“This is a remarkable statement given that the SNP has completely stalled all school capital programme spending for over a year while they tried to salvage their finance policy. It would have been far easier if they had just accepted a tried and tested way of delivering schools efficiently, such as we have seen in Dingwall and Portree in recent weeks.
"I would urge him to set out the detailed timetable for the new school, when it will start and when the first pupil will sit in the new school. I will be checking on progress and hope this is not just another empty promise waiting to be broken.”
Labour MSPs were also outraged that the minority SNP government today dismissed parents and teacher concerns over cuts to their school budgets as scaremongering.
“Highland wide we are seeing teaching numbers being cut back, class sizes rising, support staff not being replaced and head teachers local budgets being cut. Add to this the plans to cut back on janitors and cleaning and we are seeing a pretty sorry situation for the new term,” said Mr Stewart .
“As part of our cutswatch campaign in the Highlands we have heard concerns from schools across the area including Nairn, Dingwall, Grantown on Spey, Ullapool, and Brora. Parents fear for their schools’ capability to cope under tighter and tighter budgets and they are not scaremongering. The situation country wide is such a mess that the main teaching union last week authorised teacher protests over the widespread cuts affecting schools across Scotland. The Government must take responsibility in resolving these issues instead of sticking their heads in the sand.”

tootler
19-Jun-08, 13:48
Hi Blackcat,

I also read the article in the P&J today but I'm still none the wiser who's in charge while the SNP and the Independents argue... do the committees continue to run with the same councillors that were there before or does the work cease until they've regrouped?:roll:

Bill, perhaps you'd be kind enough to fill us in? (If anyone knows what's going on, surely you do!)

hotrod4
19-Jun-08, 13:49
You mean like putting the £5 million ++ that is earmarked for the "new" council building in Wick into WHS?? Oh yes I forgot it is from a different budget ...ah yes silly me I hope the councillors and officials remember who contributes the funds for these schemes and pay heed
PM

That £5 million+ will be used to set up a committee to look into what happens when you set up a committee to look into a committee looking into a committee!
Or something else randomly useless to knowone but hated by everyone :)

Pepsix
19-Jun-08, 15:21
[quote=tootler;398296]Hi Blackcat,

I also read the article in the P&J today but I'm still none the wiser who's in charge while the SNP and the Independents argue... do the committees continue to run with the same councillors that were there before or does the work cease until they've regrouped?:roll:

Yes they cease until regrouped and a convenor put forward. There is a council meeting on Thursday I would assume that some way forward would be found in the next 48 hours and that would be put up for ratification on Thursday.

SNP wanted the Independents to demand a resignation from Isobel McAllam for putting forward a suggestion which they were not happy about. She along with 5 other councillors meet on a Monday to discuss issues with SNP they said they would not continue with her around the table so they wanted her to resign from planning so she would lose her place at that table.

They also wanted the independent to sign a code of conduct which would basically mean we would be attending meetings 'gagged' if we did not adhere we would be treated in the same way they did with David Bremner.

Isobel agreed to resigning from planning and we put her forward as our leader would give her more power.

As we did not meet there demands they walked out.

tootler
19-Jun-08, 18:48
Yes they cease until regrouped and a convenor put forward. There is a council meeting on Thursday I would assume that some way forward would be found in the next 48 hours and that would be put up for ratification on Thursday.

Thanks for that clarification, Pepsix.

It all seems very childish - if they were schoolchildren refusing to co-operate in this way they'd be sent straight to the head teachers office and no mistake!

Here we are, trying to teach the next generation that co-operation is always the best way forward.... it's a pretty poor example.

Best of luck with finding a solution and here's to those individuals we elected being allowed to get on with their work once again - no more playground spats, eh?;)

robbain
19-Jun-08, 19:29
I think we should hold new elections and get rid the old lot as they don't listen to views and concerns of the people, some were voted in by us but they turned their backs on us, all they want is claim loads of expenses, also there is any easy option to cut expenses - 1 employ a mini bus driver with a salary, using a council mini bus or 2 use video conference - that means no expenses. And if they want to save money in the budgets get rid of senior management and not cut services and staff.

peter macdonald
19-Jun-08, 19:39
[QUOTE=Venture;398275]I had this sent to me last week re the Campaign for a new Wick High School.

MSP promises action for Wick High School
Highlands and Islands Labour MSPs Peter Peacock, Rhoda Grant and David Stewart are asking the Scottish Government when the first brick will be laid for a new Wick High School.
Well well does Mr Peacock not have a neck of brass?? As part of the last administration he didnt lift a finger to help WHS, he then tries to make cheap political capital out of the present situation
WHS has not suddenly got into this state Mr Peacock ...it got that way during the years of neglect/inactivity of your administation Why not ask about what it was like when you had a New Labour councillor / MSP candidate representing Wick ....it was not a heck of a lot better then ..
For those of you who dont know until about 15 months ago Mr Peacock was the Education minister in the previous administation and in fact visited the area in 2006 but noticably didnt visit WHS I would really like to know why the minister who had responsibility for the school did not visit given its poor condition??
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=398481&posted=1#post398481

PM

peter macdonald
19-Jun-08, 20:16
I think we should hold new elections and get rid the old lot as they don't listen to views and concerns of the people, some were voted in by us but they turned their backs on us, all they want is claim loads of expenses, also there is any easy option to cut expenses - 1 employ a mini bus driver with a salary, using a council mini bus or 2 use video conference - that means no expenses. And if they want to save money in the budgets get rid of senior management and not cut services and staff.

Spot one Robbain ..how can they justify spending money on new council buildings while cutting services??? Unfortunately local councils seem to be getting further and further from the reality of what the people who voted them in expect from them ...nothing fancy just getting the buckets lifted ,roads salted,etc ... just the basics ...not spending millions on white elephants
Get a grip councillors !!!!!
PM

benji
19-Jun-08, 21:32
Some of them are too concerned with their high-heels (member for Invergordon) or selling off property at truely knock-down prices (Aberdeen city) to even worry about the people that voted them in. It is endemic accross Scotland.

Who I do feel sorry for (apart for those of us who pay for their "expenses") are the few members of the council who are there to make a difference, they are suffering because there are a number of very poor representatives spoiling the goodwill of the public....

robbain
20-Jun-08, 12:38
Some of them are too concerned with their high-heels (member for Invergordon) or selling off property at truely knock-down prices (Aberdeen city) to even worry about the people that voted them in. It is endemic accross Scotland.

Who I do feel sorry for (apart for those of us who pay for their "expenses") are the few members of the council who are there to make a difference, they are suffering because there are a number of very poor representatives spoiling the goodwill of the public....

Also this into todays Press and Journal http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/699664

Cleaning cutbacks starting to bite at Caithness schools
Staff shortages adding to woes

HIGHLAND Council cutbacks in cleaning are starting to bite at the two high schools in Caithness.

The region-wide budget savings are aggravated in the far north by recent staff shortages, which have led to complaints about the cleanliness of Thurso High and Wick High.

Morale among cleaners is low as they find themselves over-stretched at work while facing a cut in pay.

The new regime, introduced on May 19, involves many classrooms and corridors being cleaned every other day, rather than daily.

Staff rooms are now done weekly, though toilets and the special education units continue to get daily attention.

Cleaners throughout the Highlands were earlier this month informed that the “deep cleans” of schools during the Easter and summer breaks were being stopped. It will come in next year.

Cleaners have been told that the end to the deep cleans will mean a pay cut, while new staff are being given less hours.

Thurso High is meantime operating with a staff of seven, with three who have left not having been replaced.

One local cleaner said yesterday: “We were assured that if anybody went off sick, we’d get a replacement straight away, but that has never happened.”

The cleaner added: “We’ve been treated really badly and we’ve been told to expect a pay cut in September. The teachers are also complaining about the changes.”

Alister Traill, head teacher at Wick High, said: “The cleaners are doing the best job they can, but they are now working to a different regime.”

A council spokesman said yesterday: “The education, culture and sport budget proposals include a £400,000 reduction in the cleaning account. The school cleaning programme is under review and negotiations are still under way, but the main proposals will not be implemented until next financial year.”

She said that vacant posts were either not being filled or filled with staff working less hours.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/699369

caithness councillor blames some local authority colleagues for backlash
Pro-Gaelic ‘zealots’ stoking row over bilingual signs – claim
Published: 20/06/2008

A Caithness Highland councillor has blamed pro-Gaelic “zealots” on the local authority for stoking the controversy over bilingual signs in the county.

Wick member Graeme Smith believes they are responsible for a backlash which has made some outsiders believe the area is anti-Gaelic.

He said the latest instruction to use Gaelic on signs on Wick’s CCTV street cameras can only further inflame the situation.

Mr Smith was speaking at a meeting in Thurso of far north Gaelic activists who are concerned the row is damaging the image of the venue for the 2010 Royal National Mod.

They were later warned that the first bilingual signs could be targeted by paint-spraying protesters.

Another local councillor, landward representative Willie Mackay accused some of his county colleagues of paying lip service to the authority’s promotion of Gaelic.

Mr Mackay was one of only two of the 10 Caithness councillors to support the recent successful move to extend the council’s bilingual signs policy to include Caithness.

Raymond Bremner, chairman of the Caithness branch of An Comunn Gaidhealach, is concerned the controversy over the signs has coincided with the start of preparations for the county’s hosting of the 2010 mod.

Mr Bremner said damage has been done to the area’s image through some national media coverage, which has associated opposition to bilingual signs with a general anti-Gaelic feeling. He cited a Sunday newspaper columnist who questioned why the Mod is being held in an area where so many are opposed to Gaelic.

The article suggested people in the area were happy to reap the spin-offs from the festival, while bristling at Gaelic being used in local signs.

Mr Bremner did not believe that bilingual signs caused confusion or a danger to motorists and said their provision in Caithness would not be at the expense of other local government services.

Mr Bremner respected the right of local councillors to represent the views of their constituents, but he urged them to take a higher profile in separating their stance on the signs from their support for Gaelic.

He said: “It’s not being broadcast across the Ord that our councillors are supporting our efforts to promote Gaelic.”

Mr Smith said he took issue with the new policy when it was proposed to use Gaelic on signs to interpret Caithness sites of Neolithic, Pictish and Norse origin.

He said: “We thought that was wrong as it would give a false impression to the tourists.”

Mr Smith said the council’s Gaelic committee had caused the current furore.

He said: “The committee forced this by its move to do away with the long-established Caithness opt-out.

“They forced this as an issue, and made it an issue against 85% of people in Caithness who I have a duty to represent.

“After all, I represent more Polish speakers than people who speak Gaelic, and I don’t see why one part of our community should get preference over another.”

and finally
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/698290

fears conflicting budget priorities following coalition split may mean rewrite of four-year plan
Council new care homes and cheap housing pledges at risk
Published: 20/06/2008

Highland Council’s four-year manifesto featuring pledges of five new care homes and 2,000 “affordable” homes could be radically rewritten following the SNP’s decision to quit power-sharing with the authority’s Independent group.

Amid frantic efforts yesterday by the two groups to form new allegiances, each claimed the document could remain largely unchanged.

But the prospect of the 21 Liberal Democrats – the second largest grouping – entering a new administration might dictate otherwise because of conflicting budget priorities.

The Lib Dems were locked in late talks at council headquarters in Inverness last night, apparently weighing up approaches from both of the former coalition partners. Watching events from the sidelines, Caithness councillor David Bremner, who was expelled by the SNP for refusing to toe the party line, forecast a potentially substantive rewrite of the four-year plan.

He said: “There are certainly differences in party policy between the SNP and Liberal Democrats that would probably work their way up and I would imagine that the Independents would try and exert a more significant input.”

Most of the 34 Independent councillors attended an emergency Inverness meeting yesterday afternoon to discuss tactics.

Describing the talks as “very positive,” council convener and Independent group spokesman Sandy Park later revealed that he had received the group’s “100% backing” to continue as a minority administration and to open negotiations with “partners”. As for revising the four-year plan, he said: “There may be modifications, but I would think of a minor rather than major nature.”

Dismissing persistent complaints from numerous colleagues about SNP “pressure,” Mr Park said the experience of power-sharing had been “a learning curve,” adding: “There are no doubts the political partners are very ambitious, but as far as ‘bullying’ is concerned I wouldn’t agree.” Council chief executive Alistair Dodds said staff had been advised that it was “business as usual” and that he would provide councillors with procedural advice over the coming days and ensure the day-to-day business of the council was delivered. Next Thursday’s full council meeting goes ahead as scheduled.

Its seems the council is having a good day????

peter macdonald
20-Jun-08, 19:34
On the Gaelic signs issue I find the performance of some of our local councillors hypocritical to saw the least
John O Groat Journal 12/3/2008
Thurso councillor John Rosie accused the Highland Council of "riding
roughshod over the people of Caithness" and "ramming the issue down
their throats". when commenting on Highland councils pro Gaelic sign stance

John O Groat Journal 25/5/2007
John Rosie, one of the Highland Council's Thurso members, said it would be one of the biggest events attracted to the town.

Mr Rosie said: "The National Mod is a very prestigious event and it would be wonderful if it were to come to Thurso."

In other words we want the hoped for couple of million boost to the economy but you can stick your language
Dear me
PM

peter macdonald
20-Jun-08, 19:44
HIGHLAND Council cutbacks in cleaning are starting to bite at the two high schools in Caithness.

The region-wide budget savings are aggravated in the far north by recent staff shortages, which have led to complaints about the cleanliness of Thurso High and Wick High.

Morale among cleaners is low as they find themselves over-stretched at work while facing a cut in pay.

The new regime, introduced on May 19, involves many classrooms and corridors being cleaned every other day, rather than daily.

Staff rooms are now done weekly, though toilets and the special education units continue to get daily attention.

Cleaners throughout the Highlands were earlier this month informed that the “deep cleans” of schools during the Easter and summer breaks were being stopped. It will come in next year.

Cleaners have been told that the end to the deep cleans will mean a pay cut, while new staff are being given less hours.

Thurso High is meantime operating with a staff of seven, with three who have left not having been replaced.

One local cleaner said yesterday: “We were assured that if anybody went off sick, we’d get a replacement straight away, but that has never happened.”

The cleaner added: “We’ve been treated really badly and we’ve been told to expect a pay cut in September. The teachers are also complaining about the changes.”

Alister Traill, head teacher at Wick High, said: “The cleaners are doing the best job they can, but they are now working to a different regime.”

A council spokesman said yesterday: “The education, culture and sport budget proposals include a £400,000 reduction in the cleaning account. The school cleaning programme is under review and negotiations are still under way, but the main proposals will not be implemented until next financial year.”

She said that vacant posts were either not being filled or filled with staff working less hours

And how much are they going to spend on a new/rebuild council building for Wick ??? £5 million + I notice no councillor was quoted on this topic !!!! No sign of Mr Smith commenting about the cost here..
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/4733/Council_staff_to_stay_in_Wick_town_centre.html
PM
PM

tootler
20-Jun-08, 20:37
On the Gaelic signs issue I find the performance of some of our local councillors hypocritical to say the least
John O Groat Journal 12/3/2008
Thurso councillor John Rosie accused the Highland Council of "riding
roughshod over the people of Caithness" and "ramming the issue down
their throats". when commenting on Highland councils pro Gaelic sign stance

John O Groat Journal 25/5/2007
John Rosie, one of the Highland Council's Thurso members, said it would be one of the biggest events attracted to the town.

Mr Rosie said: "The National Mod is a very prestigious event and it would be wonderful if it were to come to Thurso."

In other words we want the hoped for couple of million boost to the economy but you can stick your language
Dear me
PM

There was a meeting last Tuesday night about this issue as reported in the Groat & it is a very tricky situation for councillors and Mod organisers alike. Both wish the Gaelic signage issue would just vanish overnight but it's not going to unless Inverness can see sense!

It is common for Caithnessians to be fully supportive of the Mod coming to Caithness in 2010 and yet not be supportive of Gaelic signage in Caithness, and this is the stance that 8 out of 10 of our councillors took when they voted in Inverness. John Rosie's just representing the views of his constituents - that's his job.

If only 10/10 councillors had taken that stance then the organisers of the Mod 2010 wouldn't be in such a sticky spot now - the vote would have gone through no problem, we wouldn't be facing the prospect of unwanted mandatory Gaelic signage and we'd be making ready to welcome the fantastic musicians and singers of the Mod with open arms.

Maybe next time Bill & Willie will choose to vote the right way and we'll see the back of this issue for a few more years - it's best for Caithness folk and it's best for the Gaels, too, although they might find that hard to see just now. ;)

If Gaelic signs are ever to be appropriate in Caithness, there's a lot more groundwork to be done in educating the locals first to avoid a backlash - experiencing the Mod 2010 will be part of that education.

It's not all about money. It's all about hospitality and we're a very hospitable county - there's no doubting that. Of course we're looking forward to the Mod and of course our Gaelic friends will be made very welcome. Only two bilingual signs will be needed - the one at the Ord and the one out West - with the Gaelic translation of "Welcome to Caithness" and also the literal English translation of the Gaelic: "Welcome to the Land of the Non-Gaels!" Says it all - they already know why we don't want our signposts in Gaelic - they don't call us "non-Gaels" for nothing!:lol:

We can appreciate a neighbouring culture and embrace it without adopting it - that's the stance of most of the Caithness population regarding Gaelic at the moment and it's not at all hypocritical or unfriendly - it's just good old common sense.

We need more of that from Highland Councillors, not less!

peter macdonald
20-Jun-08, 23:54
Sorry Tootler but I have to disagree it really is hypocracy ,in fact if I was one of the organisers of the Mod i would be ringing up Oban Cape Breton Winnipeg Stornaway in fact anywhere where the Gaelic culture and language would be welcome and letting them get the benefit of the Mod We in caithness complain about the economic situation within the county
and yet we seem hell bent on driving away something that would pump about 2-3 million in to it Mr Rosie welcomed the Mod and yet does not want Gaelic on our roadsigns ,,,did he not know the language of the Mod???
PM

ywindythesecond
21-Jun-08, 00:28
[quote=robbain;398714]Also this into todays Press and Journal http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/699664

Cleaning cutbacks starting to bite at Caithness schools
Staff shortages adding to woes

Originally Posted by ywindythesecond http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=336170#post336170)
Bill, I am surprised to see you post this in the general forum.
ywy2

I posted it in the forum as I was in Inverness and do not have access to the front page etc when away. I thought folk would be interested to hear confirmation that the HC was not putting up the council tax for the first time ever

End quote

For about thirty years, politicians have been telling us that we don't need to pay for the services we get.

No money in, no services out. Simple.

peter macdonald
21-Jun-08, 02:09
Yes Windy very true but that does not mean existing income has to be thrown away on projects like the re build of offices in Wick ,,,,or for that matter what was spent in Golspie etc Does it??
PM

tootler
21-Jun-08, 09:32
Sorry Tootler but I have to disagree it really is hypocracy ,in fact if I was one of the organisers of the Mod i would be ringing up Oban Cape Breton Winnipeg Stornaway in fact anywhere where the Gaelic culture and language would be welcome and letting them get the benefit of the Mod We in caithness complain about the economic situation within the county
and yet we seem hell bent on driving away something that would pump about 2-3 million in to it Mr Rosie welcomed the Mod and yet does not want Gaelic on our roadsigns ,,,did he not know the language of the Mod???
PM

Oooh, sorry Peter, but having spoken to the organisers of the local Mod, some of whom are very good personal friends, they are very keen to stress that these are two separate issues and they fully understand that it's possible to be a wholehearted supporter of the Mod coming to visit Caithness but not want Gaelic roadsigns locally. If fact they'd like people to stop connecting the two issues - they are absolutely separate.

Do the Gaelic community and the organisers of the Mod a favour and stop comparing these two issues in the same breath. Thanks!

Pepsix
21-Jun-08, 09:46
Yes Windy very true but that does not mean existing income has to be thrown away on projects like the re build of offices in Wick ,,,,or for that matter what was spent in Golspie etc Does it??
PM

PM you make a couple of references to the Wick Offices being a waste of money in this strand. The fact is the offices are not fit for purpose, they are expensive to run, and do not meet the required standards. There is over 120 people working in these conditions on a daily basis.

There is an alternative we could relocate all the jobs to Drummui and just let the building in the middle of the street sit and rot. Do you think that locals would mind? Maybe shop keepers wont miss a 100+ people coming through there doors every day.

Silly councillors here was us thinking that not only would our offices be fit for purpose but it was an opportunity to revitalise the heart of our town centre and inject some much needed investment into the town. If we think it is a waste of public money to invest in the town centre why would the private sector?

It is recognised as the worst council offices in the highlands - a waste of money to invest in them? Does the council staff in Wick not deserve the same working standards as other areas? This will be the biggest single investment in the town centre in some 50 years I dont think it is a waste of money.

it would be interesting to see what other Wickers think? :Razz

blackcat
21-Jun-08, 09:47
[quote=tootler;398296]Hi Blackcat,

SNP wanted the Independents to demand a resignation from Isobel McAllam for putting forward a suggestion which they were not happy about. She along with 5 other councillors meet on a Monday to discuss issues with SNP they said they would not continue with her around the table so they wanted her to resign from planning so she would lose her place at that table.

They also wanted the independent to sign a code of conduct which would basically mean we would be attending meetings 'gagged' if we did not adhere we would be treated in the same way they did with David Bremner.

Isobel agreed to resigning from planning and we put her forward as our leader would give her more power.

As we did not meet there demands they walked out.

How independent will the Independents be??? Pity they didn't see fit to question the Budget back in February when they gave it their blessing without questioning the lack of information on cuts in services!

peter macdonald
21-Jun-08, 10:01
Pepsix some questions Are these offices safe?? have they passed fire inspection?? are the unions happy to let there staff work there?? It appears the answers are all yes or else it would be shut down
Why has something got to be done now ?? at a time of financial constraint
You are comparing what council staff deserve ..dont school cleaners count ?? their hours and wages are to be cut
I think if you asked people in Wick where their council tax should go then I think WHS and service cuts might come a bit farther up the tree than council buildings ...
PM

gollach
21-Jun-08, 10:19
PM you make a couple of references to the Wick Offices being a waste of money in this strand. The fact is the offices are not fit for purpose, they are expensive to run, and do not meet the required standards. There is over 120 people working in these conditions on a daily basis.

There is an alternative we could relocate all the jobs to Drummui and just let the building in the middle of the street sit and rot. Do you think that locals would mind? Maybe shop keepers wont miss a 100+ people coming through there doors every day.

Silly councillors here was us thinking that not only would our offices be fit for purpose but it was an opportunity to revitalise the heart of our town centre and inject some much needed investment into the town. If we think it is a waste of public money to invest in the town centre why would the private sector?

It is recognised as the worst council offices in the highlands - a waste of money to invest in them? Does the council staff in Wick not deserve the same working standards as other areas? This will be the biggest single investment in the town centre in some 50 years I dont think it is a waste of money.

it would be interesting to see what other Wickers think? :Razz

So many of the tests being applied in the above post could be pointed in the direction of Wick High School and yet i don't see the council wasting money on a new school for the town.

peter macdonald
21-Jun-08, 10:29
Tootler Well I had hoped to go to the meeting on Tuesday as well but could not make it I agree with you the two issues should be kept separate but for people on the outside looking in its becoming quite blurred , comments reported in the John O Groat about an anti Gaelic backlash has not helped Its not showing caithness in a good light at all
PM
http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/4767/'Zealots'_blamed_for_Caithness_signs_controversy.h tml