PDA

View Full Version : Hungry Midges

neepnipper
19-Jun-08, 09:16
Midges have had a good feast on me this morning, must have 30 bites around my neck even though I had a fleece on zipped right up my neck.
Little wotsits!:mad:

chaz
19-Jun-08, 09:19
Midges dont usualy bother me but yes this morning i was bitten to pieces!Very hungry midges i agree dont know why they are different this year.

The Angel Of Death
19-Jun-08, 10:17
Snap i got bitten to death after sharing a sporting draw with a exploding lawnmower (it broke and i got singed and cut)

Geo
19-Jun-08, 11:56
They've been fierce the last couple of days. Keeping me out of the garden the wee beasties!

Phoebus_Apollo
19-Jun-08, 11:58
Midges have ruined my last two camping trips - they are truely the most annoying creatures to grace the planet.

AfternoonDelight
19-Jun-08, 11:59
Doesn't anyone have a natural rememdy for keeping the little blighters away. None of those repellant sprays work...

silverfox57
19-Jun-08, 12:07
Doesn't anyone have a natural rememdy for keeping the little blighters away. None of those repellant sprays work...
yes try avon skin -so- soft,must be woodland fresh,it only helps the best, have been uses it for years,

Angela
19-Jun-08, 12:09
We don't usually get the little blighters here but something certainly bit me last night and today I have a sore and itchy swelling the size of Arthur's Seat right beside my nose....:o

It's a bad day for hay fever too....:(

Mik.M.
19-Jun-08, 15:49
The Midges don`t usually touch me,however they had a feast on me on Monday. My arms and head itch like mad,got some repellant but too late.Got one of those After Bite pens that stings like mad too. Grrrrr Midges![mad]

tigger2u
19-Jun-08, 15:53
Midges!:confused
Surely they have to be servants of the devil [evil]

mostlyharmless
19-Jun-08, 16:42
From croft lotions and potions, nothing else in it..apart from spring water! www.croftlotionsandpotions.com

MadPict
19-Jun-08, 16:55
Many 'moons ago' I got badly bitten by midges while on holiday at Loch Maree - I was only young and am sure it set me up for the rest of my life of having really adverse reactions to insect bites...

I did read that Marmite is a good repellent - not sure if you smear it on or eat it, but as I loath the taste of plain* Marmite I guess I'll try wearing it!!!

* Strangely I can stomach the limited edition Guiness and Champagne Marmites...

bekisman
19-Jun-08, 17:13
Do these things actually work? anyone got one?
http://www.midgemonster.co.uk/?gclid=CIGRz-7zgJQCFQ8nEAodQxItXQ

Often thought places like Plockton could have two or three in the village and it would be clear - be a magnet for visitors/tourists..

MadPict
19-Jun-08, 17:37
The unit emits a combination of CO2 gas from an attached canister with pheromones.

Haven't we added enough CO2 to the world?......

the_count
19-Jun-08, 17:42
i think i must excrete midgey repelent cos they dont bother me at all :D I put it down to cigarettes and 20 cups of coffee a day lol i was stripping out a kitchen with a mate some time ago and we were skipping the rubbish at 10pm. i walked out topless through clouds of midges and never got bitten once lol my mate got bitten to death lol poor sod :lol:

bekisman
19-Jun-08, 18:37
MP: Haven't we added enough CO2 to the world?......

It aint that much but Haven't we enough midges in the world?:lol:

MadPict
19-Jun-08, 18:49
Seems my wee winky got chopped off - I wasn't be serious. Damn midges, I hate them so anything that eradicates them is fine by me ;) - here's the one I missed off earlier too - ;)

Julia
19-Jun-08, 19:17
For a daily forecast...

http://www.midgeforecast.co.uk/2008/

pat
19-Jun-08, 19:18
just bought a midge machine about a month ago - have now started catching quite a few in the last few days - idea is to catch them so reducing the female population thus less to reproduce.
They are territorial beasties I am told, so if you reduce you females you reduce the entire population. Have to wait a few weeks to see if the population is decreased - or more to the point - can I go outside without the beggars biting me?

All I can say is - I hope it ruddy well works, if not it is an expensive bit of nonsense.

Will keep you advised BK

Tugmistress
19-Jun-08, 20:19
The tubes of stuff from lidl *seem* to work well enough if you cover yourself liberally on all exposed areas and slightly up sleeves/legs/down the neck, smells ok too :D

George Brims
19-Jun-08, 20:27
My solution to biting insects is to bring my wife with me. As long as she is around I am safe, as they are all biting her.

northener
19-Jun-08, 20:33
Squaddies swear by 'Skin So Soft' and nope, I'm not having a wind-up.

neepnipper
19-Jun-08, 21:36
Tried the Avon stuff, didn't work for me I'm just too tasty:D

We used to holiday in Turkey and there they drive up and down the streets spraying insecticide to kill the mosquitos, that didn't work for me either, ended up in hospital after getting back one year, I'd swollen up like a balloon from the bites!

pat
19-Jun-08, 22:41
nothing works for me either - tried everything I can find - that is why I have now resorted to buying a midge machine to see if that will work for me

Skin so soft, neem, you name it I have tried it - nothing works at keeping them at bay and from biting

sweetpea
19-Jun-08, 23:12
yes try avon skin -so- soft,must be woodland fresh,it only helps the best, have been uses it for years,

Ditto, I'l second that.

Bomber 1
20-Jun-08, 00:57
skin so soft used it on golf course and it works

windswept
12-Sep-08, 19:38
For years I have been plagued by midges - when they bite I come out in hard itchy lumps that can last for weeks. I would like to know if reaction is something to do with blood group. Is any one group affected worse than others?

Im B+