PDA

View Full Version : What will it take?

Thumper
19-Jun-08, 08:54
Ok so I am trying to teach my son who is 8 to cross the road himself to get to school,now many of you will say thats too young but both my others have walked to school alone since that age and the youngest wants to be the same.Now here's the problem,although we have 20 restrictions on the roads beside the school hardly anyone sticks to it![evil] Today I stood beside him and he told me when it was safe to cross and I agreed then out of nowhere came some woman in a car who must have been doing about 50!!!!!!!!!The police sometimes come and check but thats just a short term fix that lasts for the day they are there and no longer.So my question is what would make you think twice and slow down?Some people seem to think that they can do what they want and completly ignore the speed limit and every day the same people are the ones doing it!Report them?Well you can BUT if the police can't prove they were speeding they can't do anything (or so I have been told).I actually considered jumping out infront of the car to make my point but at the speed she was doing she would not have been able to stop and I would have been hit!This makes me so angry all it takes is for people to leave a little earlier and adhere to the speed limits!!!!!x

Rheghead
19-Jun-08, 09:06
Also be aware that the 20mph speed restrictions outside schools at peak times are very unreliable. Just lately, I've been taking a keen interest in the school speed restriction in Reay. I don't know how it is triggered, either manually or timer, but it doesn't always come on.:mad:

NickInTheNorth
19-Jun-08, 09:12
Outside schools is one of the few places I can think of where I think speed cameras SHOULD be installed. Unfortunately they never seem to do that. I wonder if that is because they would not generate sufficient revenue in such a location. They claim that speed cameras are to aid road safety, but they always seem to site them were maximum revenues are likely to be generated!

Thumper
19-Jun-08, 09:14
I agree with you Nick,and by the way they drive past my sons school I think that the cameras would take in a fair few!It would also stop speeding full stop because when they get a ticket and points they might just think twice about doing it.....before they kill a child :( x

Mr P Cannop
19-Jun-08, 09:39
Ok so I am trying to teach my son who is 8 to cross the road himself to get to school,now many of you will say thats too young but both my others have walked to school alone since that age and the youngest wants to be the same.Now here's the problem,although we have 20 restrictions on the roads beside the school hardly anyone sticks to it![evil] Today I stood beside him and he told me when it was safe to cross and I agreed then out of nowhere came some woman in a car who must have been doing about 50!!!!!!!!!The police sometimes come and check but thats just a short term fix that lasts for the day they are there and no longer.So my question is what would make you think twice and slow down?Some people seem to think that they can do what they want and completly ignore the speed limit and every day the same people are the ones doing it!Report them?Well you can BUT if the police can't prove they were speeding they can't do anything (or so I have been told).I actually considered jumping out infront of the car to make my point but at the speed she was doing she would not have been able to stop and I would have been hit!This makes me so angry all it takes is for people to leave a little earlier and adhere to the speed limits!!!!!x

a wee boy got hit by a car in the spring park area a few weeks ago

changilass
19-Jun-08, 09:46
Does it have to be police that put up the speed cameras??

Just asking cos I was wondering if we could do some sponsorship or collection or something so we can pay for the cameras and the upkeep, after all they are our kids.

grandma
19-Jun-08, 10:04
Or what about trying to get speed bumps on the road? If you hit them at speed you know all about it. Soon slows folk down.

NickInTheNorth
19-Jun-08, 10:06
Or what about trying to get speed bumps on the road? If you hit them at speed you know all about it. Soon slows folk down.

Why should we all have our cars damaged for the sake of the idiots?

Thumper
19-Jun-08, 10:15
Changi,I am not too sure but I seem to remember asking about this a few years ago and was told it was do-able but very expensive? I am not even sure how we could go about finding out more about it,but it would definately be a good thing to do!
Nick,I agree that although speed humps do help,they do damage cars and as you rightly said,why do we have to put up with damage for the sake of a few idiots?I would love to see ALL speeders named and shamed publicly,that may help them to think twice about doing it!I would also like to see changes in the penalty,so that if somebody speeds in a restricted area like that of a school they get a MUCH higher fine and more points! This really is a bugbear of mine and you will quite often find me standing at the side of the road screaming slowdown like a madwoman,but all that happens is the driver looks at me like I am an idiot :roll: I did consider throwning a schoolbag out infront of one car one day but then thought better off it,although it would have made my point if they had hit it! x

grandma
19-Jun-08, 10:16
Why would there be any damage if you were going at the proper speed?

NickInTheNorth
19-Jun-08, 10:23
Why would there be any damage if you were going at the proper speed?

Nature of the beast I am afraid, cars are not really designed to take the shocks provided by driving, even at the correct speed, over speed bumps. If the bumps are ok to drive over at say 20mph then they are not that bad to drive over at much higher speed.

Cost to install a gatso camera - approximately £20k, cost of damage to a child, priceless!

Get on to your local councillor and see what they have to say. Maybe ask Bill for his views on here?

Thumper
19-Jun-08, 10:27
Great idea Nick, I cant believe I didnt think to ask Bill for his views...I guess I was just too worked up about the whole thing!
Bill any advice you can give would be great,I really want this dealt with before a life is lost!Not just at my sons school but all schools,especially ones that are unfortunate enough to be beside a main road :( x

jings00
19-Jun-08, 12:07
or speak to Lorna Simpson of the Ormlie Community place, I'm sure she would be more than happy to advise on community fundraising, sponsors,etc, if that were the way to go...

MR J
19-Jun-08, 13:55
Does your school have a lollipop person on duty at the relevant times? If so your son should be crossing at that point which is about as safe as you can get within the 20's

Thumper
19-Jun-08, 14:02
No lollipop person :(,no zebra crossings.....no anything apart from the 20MPH restrictions that most ignore.Infact one of the most annoying things are the drivers that slow down at the sign,then as soon as they pass the school they speed up again,well before they are out of the 20 signs,what about the kids walking to school in the opposite direction do they not deserve to be safer as well?

Tighsonas4
19-Jun-08, 17:32
Does it have to be police that put up the speed cameras??

Just asking cos I was wondering if we could do some sponsorship or collection or something so we can pay for the cameras and the upkeep, after all they are our kids.
im inclined to think your right on that one but a call to the police station would soon clarify they put sleeping police men in the back street in golspie years ago
if you want to save your springs you just drive accordingly had a gd child in plaster for about 8 weeks although not at the school but feel quite strongly for this post regards tony

thebigman
19-Jun-08, 18:13
No lollipop person :(,no zebra crossings.....no anything apart from the 20MPH restrictions that most ignore.Infact one of the most annoying things are the drivers that slow down at the sign,then as soon as they pass the school they speed up again,well before they are out of the 20 signs,what about the kids walking to school in the opposite direction do they not deserve to be safer as well?

Try this crowd over here Thumper - http://www.sustrans.org.uk/default.asp?sID=1094226578046