PDA

View Full Version : Does hilarity wind you up?

hotrod4
19-Jun-08, 07:39
After reading through a number of posts it got me thinking.
If your involved in a debate and someone reacts with a "funny" or humourous response, does it wind you up, or does it lighten the mood?
I have read witty return posts but it seems to wind some people up,whereas with some it lightens the mood somewhat.
Personally i sometimes use "witty" posts to get my point across as I feel lifes too short to be bitter, what do other orgamites think?

(p.s I am not going to compile a hit-list of people to wind up,the thought never even crossed my mind ;))

Julia
19-Jun-08, 09:08
I love a witty response! ;) Fairly cheers me up it does

Thumper
19-Jun-08, 09:16
I think that it can sometimes help to "diffuse" a situation which is great!Although I suppose there are times when hilarity is not the way to go x

grandma
19-Jun-08, 10:24
Witty or funny every time. Humour is great for getting a point across without sounding as if you're on a soap box.

Kevin Milkins
19-Jun-08, 10:35
I like witty as it seems it can get very serious on here somtimes , however I have noticed that my sense of humour is not to everybodys taste.
So if I wind anybody up I apoligise in advance:roll:

AfternoonDelight
19-Jun-08, 10:41
I like witty as it seems it can get very serious on here somtimes , however I have noticed that my sense of humour is not to everybodys taste.
So if I wind anybody up I apoligise in advance:roll:

Me too KM, I think it can be very difficult to get the tone accross when you write something - thank goodness for smileys!! :Razz

Ps - why is it hailstoning in June?? :confused

Rheghead
19-Jun-08, 10:42
I'm the first to take humbrage about frivolous posts but I'm also too well aware that I try it on as well so I shouldn't get too worked up about such things. It is a messageboard afterall...:Razz

emb123
19-Jun-08, 11:59
I'm the first to take humbrage about frivolous posts but I'm also too well aware that I try it on as well so I shouldn't get too worked up about such things. It is a messageboard afterall...:Razz
That is actually a really intriguing comment actually Rheghead and uncommonly honest - thank you :)

I find it strange that someone can actually resent levity and humour and found myself agreeing that it is a great way of getting a point across without sounding like one is on a soapbox.

I generally favour light humour myself for conveying more difficult messages, and although I'm generally very bad at it, brevity too (I'm hopeless at brevity in fact).

I found when I was in Sixth form that my foreign history teacher, Mr Davidson was utterly devoid of any sense of humour whatsoever. Any form of levity or flippancy gained lots of red ink, yet I am sure, lurking beneath his crusty exterior was a mischievous streak just dying to get out; he had the look of someone with an exceeding dry and likely very vicious sense of humour - but one that I reckon did actually exist.

It seems odd to think that someone can resent humour and levity to be honest but we cannot help it if that's the way we are wired.

Is it just misplaced humour than annoys ? and if so what makes it to be 'misplaced' ?

Probably the only example I can recall of irritating levity was the character Doctor Prunesquallor from the BBC's production of Gormenghast. (Amazing and superb production btw.)

Gleber2
19-Jun-08, 12:23
Humour??? I thought humour was aginst the rules. How well I remember the time in the distant past when to even mention the word 'elephant' meant the removal of the post and to write 'Holy Lighter' was met with an even faster response.
I must admit that there are a few posters who can wind me up with very few words but on the whole, I am all for frivolity and humour.:):D:lol:

hotrod4
19-Jun-08, 13:42
Holy lighter

AfternoonDelight
19-Jun-08, 13:44
By the beard of Zeus!!

joxville
19-Jun-08, 17:44
Well, being one of the guilty one's I'd have to say humour in a debate is a must. I don't care whether I'm dishing it out or taking it, as far as I'm concerned say what you want, I'll still laugh anyway.:)

the_count
19-Jun-08, 18:03
does hilarity wind me up? my god yes ....... NOT lol :lol:

northener
19-Jun-08, 18:47
There are some threads that would be wrong to treat lightly.

I'm all for robust argument, but sometimes it does help to inject a bit of humour here and there.