PDA

View Full Version : Wick Gala Week

COACHMAN
18-Jun-08, 21:10
Does anyone know if the Gala is going ahead this year as i am informed there are Matters wrong with the Funding for the Gala.
I have tried to get a copy of the accounts but it is impossible to get one just now.

COACHMAN
20-Jun-08, 05:44
It seems now the Gala will take place BUT the Police are making Enquires into the Finances.(Source THE Groat 20 June 08)
The Figure quoted in Todays P&J is £17000.00

Cattach
20-Jun-08, 07:49
It seems now the Gala will take place BUT the Police are making Enquires into the Finances.(Source THE Groat 20 June 08)
The Figure quoted in Todays P&J is £17000.00

I have to ask the question would I give to money to a Gala collection/event not knowing where money is or has going and what is happening regarding a police enquiry. Part of the money, allbeit small, that seems to be missing is mine given for the promoted good causes. More info is required before I will give this year.

Tighsonas4
20-Jun-08, 10:43
if that amount of money is small then someone must have added to the ooo.regards tony

Cattach
20-Jun-08, 12:25
if that amount of money is small then someone must have added to the ooo.regards tony

My reference was to my small 'investment, as part of the £17000 and not suggesting the figure quoted was small in the P & J.

sprint95m
20-Jun-08, 13:02
I have to ask the question would I give to money to a Gala collection/event not knowing where money is or has going and what is happening regarding a police enquiry. Part of the money, allbeit small, that seems to be missing is mine given for the promoted good causes. More info is required before I will give this year.

Running the various events that make up the Wick Gala will require funding. Is it not fair and reasonable that money donated should go towards this running cost, the surplus then being donated to "promoted good causes"?

dandod
20-Jun-08, 14:19
this is absolutly disgusting.the money is supposed to be for the community not for some thief to fill their pockets. i will never give money to this cause ever again.

Thumper
20-Jun-08, 14:44
I agree that is is terrible if somebody has taken the money,but to not support the gala because of somebodys greed isn't right either,the person responsible should be made to pay dearly for it but the gala shouldn't have to suffer for it x

Cattach
20-Jun-08, 15:00
Running the various events that make up the Wick Gala will require funding. Is it not fair and reasonable that money donated should go towards this running cost, the surplus then being donated to "promoted good causes"?

No argument with that but lining someones pocker, allegedly, to the tune of many thousands is hardly a good cause or reasonable expenses for running the gala. Quite clearly the gala requires a percentage and probably quite a substantial percentage for running costs. Those are not at issue. It is seeing the posibility of money given for legitimate use bythe Gala Committee appearing to have gone in th wrong direction.

COACHMAN
20-Jun-08, 17:12
Wick Town Improvements who run Wick Gala in the Financial Year to end of 2004 had Income of £22865.00 .
To year end 2006 Income of £15429.00
Just where does all this go after COSTS have been taken off.
I have asked a member of WTIA for Accounts but am still waiting.
This is money given by the Public so they should make there accounts available to the Public.:confused
These figures were obtained from the SCOTTISH CHARITY REGISTER .
www.oscr.org.uk (http://www.oscr.org.uk)

Tighsonas4
20-Jun-08, 17:28
will be interested to see what comes out of all this and how it was so loosely run
no one person should have access to administer monies of this sort its a pity to see this as i think the gala was really an ongoing of the herring queen days and has run for many many years are there loop holes in everything these days tony

rainbow
20-Jun-08, 20:35
I am aware that the WTIA has large overheads - hire of assembly rooms, prizes,gala outfits, fireworks display (not cheap) etc, but I'm sure the OSCR records can confirm this.
If there is financial irregularities and an individual is responsible then we can not criticise the rest of the committee. They work hard every year to ensure the Gala week goes ahead - how would Wickers feel if it was cancelled. Lots of 'exiles' return on an annual basis for the weekly event. Lets hope the reports in the papers do not put a dampner on the Gala week and make it a success again this year.
Roll on float night, one of the best nights of the year - great fun wouldn't miss it for the world.

Cattach
21-Jun-08, 04:16
I am aware that the WTIA has large overheads - hire of assembly rooms, prizes,gala outfits, fireworks display (not cheap) etc, but I'm sure the OSCR records can confirm this.
If there is financial irregularities and an individual is responsible then we can not criticise the rest of the committee. They work hard every year to ensure the Gala week goes ahead - how would Wickers feel if it was cancelled. Lots of 'exiles' return on an annual basis for the weekly event. Lets hope the reports in the papers do not put a dampner on the Gala week and make it a success again this year.
Roll on float night, one of the best nights of the year - great fun wouldn't miss it for the world.

We can, of course, criticise the rest of the committee as if the figure unaccounted for is as high as quoted then there has been a serious failure in the way the committee regulates itself. There should be no way that one person has access to such funds. There should be backup systems and even triple accounting of withdrawal and deposting of funds.
There are ways a committee can protect itself and if such figures are missing then those procedures are not in place or have not been followed.

dogman
21-Jun-08, 09:42
perhaps the committee should come out and name the culprit, they surely know who has access to this account.

telfordstar
21-Jun-08, 10:23
perhaps the committee should come out and name the culprit, they surely know who has access to this account.

Thats a pretty good point I for one who buy raffles and put money in tins at gala would like to know where it has gone. One things for sure until its sorted out i wont be putting my hand in my pocket for gala this year

loobyloo
21-Jun-08, 10:47
I was told that there are two suspects but I wasn't listening that closely (I didn't know them anyway). It's being investigated and I'm sure the truth will come out. Obviously the news is out in the town....... Of course, that doesn't mean it's true.

katarina
21-Jun-08, 11:00
Thats a pretty good point I for one who buy raffles and put money in tins at gala would like to know where it has gone. One things for sure until its sorted out i wont be putting my hand in my pocket for gala this year

Come on. We can't NOT give because of this. now that the case is being investigated, surely more will be done to ensure that it does not happen in the future and the people responsible punished. (severely, I hope) I think this is the safest time to give, before someone else finds another way to dip their grubby paws into the till. My worry is that because of this negative publicity, there will not be enough donations to fund future galas.
However i do feel that the accounts should be made available to the public - perhaps a break down of exactly what has been done with the money could be published in the groat?

pat
21-Jun-08, 11:50
Do not live in Wick but I believe now is the time for Wick folk to pull together and give as generously as they usually do to support their local community.

Whoever may be responsible for what I read in the P&J about money will be severely punished - no doubt the people concerned are already hanging their heads and wondering what they can do to show their remorse to the communitiTy. Main thing for them to do is to recompense WTIA and serve whatever sentence will be coming from the Sheriff.

The accounts will be in the future completely crystal clear, completely see through from now on and everyone taking on a position on Wick Town Improvements Association will ensure a repeat or any doubt on finances will never be allowed to happen again.

Wick it is time to put this behind you and move forward to a clearer cleaner financial WTIA

So Wickers - all of you - at Wick Gala Week

DIG DEEP AND GIVE GENEROUSLY
IT IS YOUR COMMUNITY

telfordstar
21-Jun-08, 13:03
Thats all very well but i was always believing that my hard earned money which i was giving quite generously was getting put back into the town not lining someones pockets.

Sizzled&Stirred
22-Jun-08, 17:20
I understand the community's shock to this recent revelation, I too am furious that someone has seen fit to make a personal profit out of a charity that has done excellent work for our town for the last 50 plus years. I have gone out as a footwalker for the gala since I was an infant in a pram and I will continue to do so because I am incredibly proud of my town. I believe it will be positive action that will restore our faith with those involved in the organisation of what must be one of the finest galas/festivals in the U.K, not the negativity which seems to have arisen over this matter. Someone once said that a house divided surely will not stand,now is the time to prove that Wick IS a community and that we will NOT let our community spirit die. My final thought, those who are quick to criticize are often slowest to respond. Get up and prove your mettle. We are Wickers and we will NEVER give up.

balto
22-Jun-08, 19:16
its such a shame that the stupitity of one person, can put the whole gala at risk they should name the culprit.

Sairheed
22-Jun-08, 19:44
The following extract from the OSCR website suggests that WTIA has taken it's 'eye of the ball' if it can not even get the address of it's principal office, correct.

This shows the latest contact address that OSCR has been given for the charity.
Address: 41 Girnigot Street
Wick
Caithness

This is the latest postcode which the charity has supplied.
Postcode: KW1 4HP
This shows whether the address supplied by the charity is:
their principal office
the address of one of the charity's trustees
neither of the above (not known)

Office/Home address: Principal Office address

pat
22-Jun-08, 20:04
Is this forum a court and you (some members) are judge, jury and witnesses combined - has Wick now got a vigilante group too, certainoly appears as if this is the case from the postings on this site?

If you want to name and shame before any court has found the person or persons guilty start by naming and shaming all the people caught without a TV licence, caught for speeding, drink driving, beating their partners, etc - before they appear in court and see what reaction you are going to get.

Please give police and the judicial system the time to go through the correct procedures.

Fran
24-Jun-08, 23:40
Well said Pat, people are too quick to judge these days. "Innocent till proved guilty". Lets just hope the culpit is caught and dealt with.

COACHMAN
09-Jul-08, 14:03
Any one got an update as to the amount missing ?