PDA

View Full Version : Google car

telfordstar
18-Jun-08, 18:44
Did anyone else see a car going around wick today with google on the side and like cameras on the roof of it?

loobyloo
18-Jun-08, 18:46
I did aye. I thought all that Google Earth stuff was done via satellite. Maybe we'll be able to look in people's cupboards now......

Julia
18-Jun-08, 18:59
I saw it parked at the bottom or Northcote Street around 1.30pm, it was the cameras that caught my eye, did not notice Google

telfordstar
18-Jun-08, 19:03
I did aye. I thought all that Google Earth stuff was done via satellite. Maybe we'll be able to look in people's cupboards now......

Aye i think that you might be right there that will be next. Not sure what it was doing at all

Thumper
18-Jun-08, 19:05
I saw it today as well,I think that although most of googles info comes via satellite they still need the car to do some of the other images ect x

dirdyweeker
18-Jun-08, 19:08
I too saw a car with a camera on the top (did not notice google as was driving) turning into the Railway Station in Wick.

joxville
18-Jun-08, 19:26
It's most likely filming for Google Earth Street Level. However I read recently that there could be a breach of privacy laws with people being photographed without permission and their image being published on the internet.

Kevin Milkins
18-Jun-08, 20:30
It's most likely filming for Google Earth Street Level. However I read recently that there could be a breach of privacy laws with people being photographed without permission and their image being published on the internet.

I was at a junction when it went up Henrietta Street. It said google maps on the door of the car.
If you really want to know what it is all about ,just google it .:lol:lol

rfr10
18-Jun-08, 20:38
Was the car a grey matallic colour by any chance?

rfr10
18-Jun-08, 20:43
Whatever the colour, apparantly, google are going to be going around the whole world taking street level images with their 360 degree cameras mounted on top of their car for Google maps.

Kevin Milkins
18-Jun-08, 20:45
Was the car a grey matallic colour by any chance?

The one I saw was a dark colour.
The guy driving had a pencil in his mouth and was reading a map as he drove past.:confused

rfr10
18-Jun-08, 20:47
It is likely to be one of these-

http://gesterling.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/screenhunter_897.jpg
http://gesterling.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/screenhunter_899.jpg
http://www.stormbear.com/wp_images/google-streetview-map-7preview_0.jpg

joxville
18-Jun-08, 20:51
Whatever the colour, apparantly, google are going to be going around the whole world taking street level images with their 360 degree cameras mounted on top of their car for Google maps.

Cost a fortune in fuel but just think of the Nectar points. I'd advise them not to get a strimmer though.[lol][lol]

MadPict
18-Jun-08, 22:47
I believe the French are challenging the publication of individuals images on the net using their "droit à l'image" laws - Google have said they will blur the faces of anyone captured during their surveys but this coukld involve a lot of processing...

They were in Thurso in February........
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=42191

poppett
18-Jun-08, 23:04
Met car at Latheron this morning before 7.30am and again heading south this evening about 7.30pm near the north end of Helmsdale.

MadPict
18-Jun-08, 23:13
Thing that makes me laugh is that the views of Caithness on Google Earth are such poor quality you cannot make out anyhting of detail (unlike most of UK) so for them to be mapping at street level before they improve the aerial view is pointless. Unless they are working on higher resolution aerial images at the same time...

joxville
18-Jun-08, 23:48
Thing that makes me laugh is that the views of Caithness on Google Earth are such poor quality you cannot make out anyhting of detail (unlike most of UK) so for them to be mapping at street level before they improve the aerial view is pointless. Unless they are working on higher resolution aerial images at the same time...

That's what they are doing MP. Some of the recent images of the UK have been added/updated but when you consider they are dealing with larger populated areas first before lesser areas then lastly open spaces. Will still take a few years when you consider how much of the earth needs to be done. There is MSN Virtual Earth but they also have a lot of area still to update.

the_count
19-Jun-08, 00:12
yeah spotted it going up murchison street this afternoon :lol:

jambo
19-Jun-08, 07:45
going up murchison street did it still have the camera when it left.

The Angel Of Death
19-Jun-08, 10:52

Prob came out the other end after a "murchie" pit stop being a yahoo car with it all being stripped and sold in the process

northener
19-Jun-08, 19:08
Prob came out the other end after a "murchie" pit stop being a yahoo car with it all being stripped and sold in the process

I was offered four cameras mounted on top of a pole (metal - not Eastern European) for £10 yesterday in Wick.

What a spooky coincidence.....

MadPict
19-Jun-08, 19:28
Is George still around? I can just see him stood on Bridge Street giving the Google car driver directions....

Now there was a character...

Kevin Milkins
19-Jun-08, 19:38
I had a chat with my brother in South Wales and he said "when they did the estate were he lives it became like a ghost town ". People cleaning windows ,painting doors ,laying patios,etc they all scarperd as they thought it was the DHSS with some new equipment.:lol:

The Angel Of Death
19-Jun-08, 20:45
I had a chat with my brother in South Wales and he said "when they did the estate were he lives it became like a ghost town ". People cleaning windows ,painting doors ,laying patios,etc they all scarperd as they thought it was the DHSS with some new equipment.:lol:

Sure that wasn't glamis road ?

thejudd
26-Jun-08, 12:13
spotted the google car in inverness last fri
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll85/thejudd432/P1050281.jpg

Tighsonas4
26-Jun-08, 12:50
they wont take long to google mine then [lol] [lol] tony

Fran
27-Jun-08, 01:48
Always thought google earth was done from the sky

angela5
27-Jun-08, 02:30

[lol] Very good

loobyloo
27-Jun-08, 05:36
they wont take long to google mine then [lol] [lol] tony

They'd take a long time to google mine but would leave with a distinct feeling of dissatisfaction!!!:) Never been one to through anything useful away, or in fact, anything at all away. Note to self, must watch one of these self-help programmes about de-cluttering........

loobyloo
27-Jun-08, 05:37
They'd take a long time to google mine but would leave with a distinct feeling of dissatisfaction!!!:) Never been one to through anything useful away, or in fact, anything at all away. Note to self, must watch one of these self-help programmes about de-cluttering........

Meant to say throw, sorry, it's early in the morning. Now you can see the extent of my clutter, brain wise ;)

MadPict
27-Jun-08, 10:40
Always thought google earth was done from the sky

Google Earth uses a mix of satellite imagery and aerial survey imagery - when you are viewing an area watch the copyright titles at the bottom change as you zoom in.

joxville
06-Jul-08, 10:44
Concerns about privacy in Google Street View:

http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/262784.html

MadPict
06-Jul-08, 13:08
As I mention in my post here (http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=398079&postcount=14) the French seem to be sticking two fingers up at Google too!!!

To be honest is there any difference between a tourist driving around taking pictures and posting them on the web and Google creating images for Street View?

Filming in a public place is permitted - is this any different?

Metalattakk
24-Jul-08, 12:28
Saw the Google car again in Thurso yesterday, and it's been spotted today at the back of Thurso Police Station (not lifted though :D).

Mind and smile as it goes past. ;)

mrsmo
24-Jul-08, 14:37
When it passed me this morning I waved and gave it my best cheesy grin!!:lol:

buggyracer
24-Jul-08, 17:16
it was in scrabster today.

Fesman
24-Jul-08, 18:05
Sad

I never saw it.

We don't get Google Cars in NZ, or at least, if we do, they don't warrant a glance.

You folk, in The Highlands, should be pretty well used to people nosing around with cameras, taking pics of your beautiful countryside.

I was just discussing, yesterday, the lack of detail that Google Earth offers for Caithness... with one of your local folk... different forum to this one.

I'm particularly interested in history and I would like to see closeup images of the various graveyards and churches in your region.

If any of you spot the Google Car again, would you please ask the photographer to pay attention to the places I just mentioned :)

Much appreciated.

webmannie
24-Jul-08, 18:54
Seen him today in Thurso on Castlegreen Road with Ordnance Survey map in hand asking directions. Obviously hasn't heard of Google maps then?

northener
24-Jul-08, 19:51
Well, looking at the photie that Thejudd has posted, I would say that there is definitely a violation of privacy going on.

The pole is set so it can see straight over the wall and down the rabbit burrow at the foot of the tree directly in line with the cameras.

No doubt on Google Earth will appear a picture of Peter Rabbit sat watching Judge Judy, dressed only in his unwashed skidders and clutching a can of superstrength lager........

Metalattakk
24-Jul-08, 23:19
I was just discussing, yesterday, the lack of detail that Google Earth offers for Caithness... with one of your local folk... different forum to this one.

I'm particularly interested in history and I would like to see closeup images of the various graveyards and churches in your region.

If any of you spot the Google Car again, would you please ask the photographer to pay attention to the places I just mentioned :)

Much appreciated.

http://peoplesmap.com/

Much better resolution than Google Maps for Caithness and Sutherland. Enjoy. ;)

dan67
25-Jul-08, 16:01
i saw it today in brora and i was talking to the driver it is google earth filming from street level and it will not be updated to next year he said

Rheghead
25-Jul-08, 16:51
I find google earth ok but it is incomplete over the flows and other unpopulated areas.

Metalattakk
25-Jul-08, 22:45
I find google earth ok but it is incomplete over the flows and other unpopulated areas.

Then use www.peoplesmap.com as I've already posted. :roll:

MadPict
26-Jul-08, 13:21
Latest concerns over Google Street View are that criminal gangs will use it to find expensive vehicles to steal...

DeHaviLand
26-Jul-08, 15:35
Latest concerns over Google Street View are that criminal gangs will use it to find expensive vehicles to steal...

That would be understandable, but only if your car never moved from where it was when the photo was taken:confused.

MadPict
29-Jul-08, 10:47
Which might be the case if you have to park your expensive car outside your home?...