PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre Facts

AfternoonDelight
18-Jun-08, 16:29
I read somewhere there are not enough lighthearted threads so here you go... This thread is a lighthearted look at amazing and often unbelievable facts. Here's one to start:

If you were locked in a sealed room, you would die from carbondioxide poisoning before oxygen deprivation...

Go...

Phoebus_Apollo
18-Jun-08, 16:36
Your thumb is the same length as your nose....fact.

Cattach
18-Jun-08, 16:38

Rubbish I must have a short thumb or maybe its is a long nose! However, first fact that is definitely wrong.

The Angel Of Death
18-Jun-08, 16:39
Its impossible to lick your own elbow however if you tell someone this the feel the need to try and prove you wrong

Sapphire2803
18-Jun-08, 16:40
Your foot is the same length as the distance between your elbow and your wrist

AfternoonDelight
18-Jun-08, 16:42

*in a sing songy kinda voice*

You're listening to the radio, aren't you..?? :cool:

Cattach
18-Jun-08, 16:43
Your foot is the same length as distance between you elbow and your wrist

Another wrong fact. I am beginning to think I am not normal - OK, I know your going to tell me I'm not normal.

AfternoonDelight
Goldfish are the only living creatures that can see in ultrviolet and infra-red... FACT!!!

And before anyone asks me how I know, my best friend is a goldfish and he told me. So there.

Phoebus_Apollo
*in a sing songy kinda voice*

You're listening to the radio, aren't you..?? :cool:

mmmmm...The average mp3 player has 800 illegal songs...and yes I am:lol:

Sapphire2803
Another wrong fact. I am beginning to think I am not normal - OK, I know your going to tell me I'm not normal.

You are not normal ;)

Cattach
18-Jun-08, 16:44
You are not normal ;)

Thanks - you have fallen into the trap - another wrong fact!!

Phoebus_Apollo
18-Jun-08, 16:44
Rubbish I must have a short thumb or maybe its is a long nose! However, first fact that is definitely wrong.

Have you told a lot of lies in your lifetime?;)

rfr10
18-Jun-08, 16:47
Its impossible to lick your own elbow however if you tell someone this the feel the need to try and prove you wrong

This is also not fact. Many people have prooven this statement to be false. It IS possible.

Cattach
18-Jun-08, 16:48
Have you told a lot of lies in your lifetime?;)

Lots on the Forum and that is a fact!! But it helps to wind folk up and get a response and it has worked again.

Phoebus_Apollo
18-Jun-08, 16:49
When you sleep you die for 7 hours.

rfr10
18-Jun-08, 16:50
FACT- If you farted consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.

Sapphire2803
18-Jun-08, 16:50
Thanks - you have fallen into the trap - another wrong fact!!

Okay, it's not funny any more..... Let me OUT!!!! :~(

armanisgirl
18-Jun-08, 16:51
You can't sneeze and keep your eyes open - apparent fact, which no doubt I will be told is wrong [lol] (Apprently your eyes will pop out if you did??????[lol]) I haven't tried to disprove this 'fact' for fear of losing my eyeballs! [lol]

rfr10
18-Jun-08, 16:55
You can't sneeze and keep your eyes open - apparent fact, which no doubt I will be told is wrong (Apprently your eyes will pop out if you did??????[lol]) I haven't tried to disprove this 'fact' for fear of losing my eyeballs! [lol]

WRONG!!!! I tried this myself and managed to do it and I still have my eyeballs! :D

joxville
18-Jun-08, 18:10
I read somewhere there are not enough lighthearted threads so here you go... This thread is a lighthearted look at amazing and often unbelievable facts. Here's one to start:

If you were locked in a sealed room, you would die from carbondioxide poisoning before oxygen deprivation...

Go...

Actually, the first fact is true.

This is false, you CAN do it, as proven by many viewers of Brainiac.

You can't sneeze and keep your eyes open - apparent fact, which no doubt I will be told is wrong [lol] (Apprently your eyes will pop out if you did??????[lol]) I haven't tried to disprove this 'fact' for fear of losing my eyeballs! [lol]

This is false, refer to Brainiac answer above.

joxville
18-Jun-08, 18:12
63% of Britains barbers are partially or totally bald.

joxville
18-Jun-08, 18:22
1. Buzz Aldrin's mother's maiden name is Moon.
2. All the planets in our solar system could be placed inside Jupiter.
3. Neutron stars are so condensed that a fragment the size of a sugar cube would weigh as much as all the people on earth put together.
4. The Earth weighs approximately 6,588,000,000,000,000,000 tons.
5. Uranus is visible to the naked eye.:D

mccaugm
18-Jun-08, 18:35
If you stand with your arms straight out from your shoulders the length from your longest finger tip to longest finger tip is the same as your height.

mccaugm
18-Jun-08, 18:44
http://www.liquidice.co.uk/joke/strangefacts.html

Duelling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.

If you are chased by a crocodile, run zigzag, a crocodile is not good at making sharp turns.

Winston Churchill was born in a ladies' room during a dance.

In Tokyo, they sell toupees for dogs.

It is possible to lead a cow up stairs but not downstairs.

Lobsters have blue blood.

George Brims
18-Jun-08, 20:22
This is also not fact. Many people have prooven this statement to be false. It IS possible.
There was a lad on "America's got Talent" last night who licked his eyebrows. I bet he could reach his elbow.

George Brims
18-Jun-08, 20:23
Well only if you use a mirror. Which I would rather not. [lol]

joxville
18-Jun-08, 20:46
1. Every U.S. president with a beard has been a Republican.
2. Martin Van Buren,(1837-41),was the first president to be born a US citizen.
3. Gerald Ford,(1974-77), & Bill Clinton,(1993-2001), were both adopted as children.
4. George Washington was the only president not to belong to a political party.
5. Theodore Roosevelt's,(1901-1912),wife & mother both died on the same day.

Julia
18-Jun-08, 22:46
You can't sneeze and keep your eyes open - apparent fact, which no doubt I will be told is wrong (Apprently your eyes will pop out if you did??????) I haven't tried to disprove this 'fact' for fear of losing my eyeballs!

I can sneeze with my eyes open, I have to in case I sneeze while I'm driving.

My contribution is a duck's quack does not echo

The average person's skin weighs 9lb

Your hand is the same size as your face

AfternoonDelight
19-Jun-08, 13:11
Vindicated! Thanks Jox!! :Razz

AfternoonDelight
19-Jun-08, 13:12

Mine's not! :lol:

AfternoonDelight
19-Jun-08, 13:13
A pregnant goldfish is called a twit!! [lol]

AfternoonDelight
19-Jun-08, 13:16
According to Genesis 1:2022 the chicken came before the egg

Belter!! Now you know... ;)

joxville
19-Jun-08, 18:23
My contribution is a duck's quack does not echo

Sorry Julia, it's just an urban myth.

http://www.acoustics.salford.ac.uk/acoustics_info/duck/

"A duck's quack doesn't echo" is a much quoted scientific myth. In spring 2003 it was quoted on Home Truths on BBC Radio 4 and Shooting Stars on BBC 2. You can listen to our sound files on Home Truths by going to the BBC4 web site and "listening again". Salford Acoustics was the source of the story being presented in the national and international media when we proved that a duck's quack does echo as part of the British Association Festival of Science.

(c) University of Salford, www.acoustics.salford.ac.uk (http://www.acoustics.salford.ac.uk)

armanisgirl
19-Jun-08, 19:17
Frogs levitate if there is a strong enough magnetic field! FACT [lol]

(I saw it on the back of a bus that was advertising a science website hahaha)

joxville
19-Jun-08, 19:32
Frogs levitate if there is a strong enough magnetic field! FACT [lol]

(I saw it on the back of a bus that was advertising a science website hahaha)

Here it is armanisgirl:

http://www.physics.org/facts/frog.asp

2little2late
19-Jun-08, 23:57
There are 336 dimples on a regulation golf ball.

2little2late
20-Jun-08, 00:07
Cat's urine glows under a blacklight

The ant can lift 50 times its own weight, can pull 30 times its own weight and always falls over on its right side when intoxicated.

Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds, while dogs only have about ten.

A pig's orgasm lasts for 30 minutes

The name Wendy was made up for the book "Peter Pan."

In "Casablanca", Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam".

No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver and purple.

The "you are here" arrow on maps is called an ideo locator.

The average person will spend two weeks over their lifetime waiting for the traffic light to change

Only one-third of the people that can twitch their ears can twitch only one at a time.

joxville
20-Jun-08, 07:54
The average person will spend two weeks over their lifetime waiting for the traffic light to change

I've been there, eventually they went green.:D

teenybash
20-Jun-08, 21:37
If a star fish loses one of its limbs....it simply grows another !!! True.

teenybash
21-Jun-08, 13:01
Did you know that turles can breathe through their BUMS !!!!![smirk]

2little2late
22-Jun-08, 21:26
The name of all the continents end with the same letter that they
start with.

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

gillian17
13-Jul-08, 08:06
Can I get the 'phone number of the lad who can lick his eyebrows!!!
Robert Louis Stephenson coined Wendy because his daughter had a "friendy wendy"
111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321 is part of (I think) Pascal's triangle which begins 1, 11, 121, 1331 etc.
Not all the planets in the solar system could fit inside Jupiter as that would include Jupiter in the set but the other seven could. And before anyone says there are eight Pluto has been reclassified as a plantetoid or something similar.
The Earth does not, strictly speaking, have a weight but it has a mass of 6.588 x 10^18 tons.
Subcontinental is one of five words which have the five vowels in reverse order. The other four are the Latin names of nematodes. No I don't know.
And finally, most of the men in Wick have more than the average number of testicles.

gillian17
13-Jul-08, 11:46
On a pedantic note I am pretty sure North America and South America are regarded as two separate continents. At least they were last time I looked about 20 million years ago.
All the countries that begin with A end with A except two. Until recently one did not exist and the other one very few people had heard of.
Also, only one country begins with O.

2little2late
13-Jul-08, 19:58
Not if you keep it covered up [lol] [lol]

2little2late
13-Jul-08, 20:09
ALMOST is the only word in the English dictionary with all its letters in alphabetical order.

FOUR is the only word that has the same amount of letters as its value.

rockchick
15-Jul-08, 05:19
ALMOST is the only word in the English dictionary with all its letters in alphabetical order.

er....methinks you are mistaken...:

ab
abe
beg

just to name a few

2little2late
15-Jul-08, 17:57
er....methinks you are mistaken...:

ab
abe
beg

just to name a few

O.K. then Aegilops is the longest English word having all its letters appearing in the alphabetical order.