PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the Loch Ness Monster really exists?

Sporran
02-Dec-05, 00:11
All the recent discussions we've had about fairies, etc., has made me curious to know what people think about Nessie!

Do you believe there really is such a thing as the Loch Ness Monster???

Astra
02-Dec-05, 00:17
Yes i live with a monster

_Ju_
02-Dec-05, 00:24
Yes i live with a monster

AHHHHH.....but do you live at Loch Ness?

angela5
02-Dec-05, 00:28
I am unsure about this one, there has been so many so called sightings you would think in this day that nessie could of been detected by now.

As for fairies well you are brought up being told they exist the same as santa! nessie never really got a mention maybe that's why i'm indecided.

crayola
02-Dec-05, 03:14
Of course it doesn't exist. If it did we would have spotted it by now. It's supposed to be BIG for goodness' sake!

And how would it breed? With geezer's faires? :rolleyes:

I don't know, some people are so gullible sometimes.

Chillie
02-Dec-05, 03:23
It does exist what planet do live on Crayola,loch ness is vast expance of water.

There many underground caverns still to be discoverd that's were nessie hides.

paris
02-Dec-05, 08:36
Ok so over the years many people say they have seen nessie. who first reported seeing her/him?? I would like to belive its out there somewhere.

brandy
02-Dec-05, 09:42
there has been loads of research done on nessie.. and all of it points towards thats the species does exist but that theres no physical proof.
unfortunatly loch ness is so deep and full of silt that they cant plumb the depths.. no divers no sonar.. they just cant see!
as far as no one catching "her" yet there are many new species of animals being discovered that were just "myths" in recent years..
what about the "big scottish cat" that everyone is seeing that isnt suppose to be here?
oh and yup i belive that there is a "nessie" just dont know what it is.. there was a sea creature that washed up years ago on an island.. but before the scientists could get to it the local villagers ate it.. *laughs* the scientists were not chuffed! if anyone can find those articles would love to see them again!

Murdina Bug
02-Dec-05, 09:58
Of course it doesn't exist. If it did we would have spotted it by now. It's supposed to be BIG for goodness' sake!

You know, I thought a self-proclaimed witch would have more faith in myths like this!!

angela5
02-Dec-05, 10:19

crayola, maybe you are an extinct old dinosaur.

krieve
02-Dec-05, 10:37
Check this site out it has a list of people who have seen nessie it is www.nessie.co.uk (http://www.nessie.co.uk)

lassieinfife
02-Dec-05, 11:07
Cant understand how someone who believes herself to be a witch and a medium can totally dismiss something like this.........look at the strange and wonderfull things they have found in the sea's and oceans of the world before dismissing poor old Nessie.:p

The Pepsi Challenge
02-Dec-05, 13:56
Drain the loch and be done with it. You'll have your answer then.

weeboyagee
02-Dec-05, 14:15
OF COURSE IT EXISTS!!! ;) How can a true Scot deny the fact? I have seen her many times on my travels up and down the road. She has three eyes, two humps and a wart on her tail, you can't miss her - don't deny it - those of you who have seen her admit it! She leaves tins of tennents and booze bottles at the side of Loch Ness after a party and other bits of litter too. I have photos of her and occasionaly she sings in the soprano section of Melvich Gaelic Choir! :D

Tugmistress
02-Dec-05, 15:16
The human race as a whole know more about space than we do our own oceans & depths :)
i like to believe there is a 'nessie' and have certainly had a strange encounter on the loch back in 2000 that no logical explanation covered - and i used to be a sceptic.

Moira
02-Dec-05, 16:06
Of course Nessie exists! Nessie is also female which makes her clever enough not to have been "caught" - apart from on the odd camera lens.

Come on Tugmistress - don't torment us with half a story here :)

Tugmistress
02-Dec-05, 16:28
Of course Nessie exists! Nessie is also female which makes her clever enough not to have been "caught" - apart from on the odd camera lens.

Come on Tugmistress - don't torment us with half a story here :)

okay, though make of the story what you will ;)

We hired a cruiser for a week doing the Caley Canal which was fitted out with fish finder and deep sea sonar (we where basically spending the week fishing for our supper)
On the way back through Loch Ness from Fort Augustus we had got to about 3 mie from the entrance to the loch when the fish finder started 'going on the blink' which had happened before but we thought nothing of it. Within the next few seconds, the sonar that had been reading between 90m and 95m depth below us started jumping to 45m 90m,30m,90m,20m,90m then 1.4m! As i was 'driving' i could see we were nowhere near either edge of the loch but was concerned to say the least as to what i was about to run into. anyway, this depth carried on for about a mile and a half then all of a sudden the sonar dropped back off to about 130m at which point something broke the surface off to the left of the boat and made a wake for a few seconds (about 30ft off)
Both myself and husband at the time saw this and we just looked at each other - when we got back to the boat yard we asked about underwater features, looked at charts of what is known of the area and no such pinnacle or anything exists.

you tell me what we saw :)

RandomHero
02-Dec-05, 16:41
i think there is a certain amount of truth involved in this tale. i am very much into cryptozoology and marine life for that matter. i think it's a possability that nessie does exist. i mean, we've only explored round about 1% of marine life and the deeper we go the more things we discover. i don't think people should be so quick to shoot down nessie, after all the creature is a huge part of scottish culture.

DrSzin
02-Dec-05, 17:33
there has been loads of research done on nessie.. and all of it points towards thats the species does exist but that theres no physical proof.
unfortunatly loch ness is so deep and full of silt that they cant plumb the depths.. no divers no sonar.. they just cant see!
Just to restore the balance a little, take a look at this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3096839.stm).

Of course the claim that the BBC has 'proved' that "Nessie does not exist" is almost as daft as some of the claims above. But not quite. ;)

I once saw a monster on a calm day on Loch Long whilst crossing on the ferry to Dunoon. It had several humps, its head rose out of the water several times, and there was lots of splashing every now and then. It moved very quickly across the loch, far more quickly than I've ever seen anything else swim. I watched it for about a minute until it disappeared into the distance. I wish I'd had a camcorder with me -- it was truly amazing.

brandy
02-Dec-05, 18:07
sorry dr sizn should have said most of it *laughs!*

gleeber
02-Dec-05, 18:10
Of course Nessie is real. Hes as real as God or the devil or the fairies that fly aboot Caithness.org. Just when I wiz beginning to take Crayola seriously she blows it. Disbelievers anonymous for ye all.

paris
02-Dec-05, 18:15
Thanks for the site krivev, on nessie. Yes im convinced she lives. Just think if someone actually saw it today how excited they would be,or frightened come to that.

htwood
02-Dec-05, 18:24
Always been interested in marine biology, and also the power of the mind. I've seen things that I cannot explain, yet the memory of them remains clear and undiminished by my attempts at logical explanation. It's a mystery to me.
There is something unusual about the waters of Loch Ness, not sure whether is the darkness of the waters themselves, or the way the wind ripples the surface. I doubt there is a monster living there, but I do not doubt for one second the experience that Tugmistress had.
The world is a wonderful amazing awesome place, full of the inexplicable. -Helen

crayola
02-Dec-05, 23:43
Of course Nessie is real. Hes as real as God or the devil or the fairies that fly aboot Caithness.org. Just when I wiz beginning to take Crayola seriously she blows it. Disbelievers anonymous for ye all.Dinna be daft man! Nessie's as real as the man in the moon. Where's your rational judgement now? I dinna really believe in fairies or vampires either. They're mere human fantasies of the kind you're so fond of dismissing so readily. Just read the previous posts. With one or five honorable exceptions they're the wishful thinking of bored underemployed brains.

But witchcraft is different. It's no human fantasy. It's no part of a bored housewife's wishlist. I've seen it with my own eyes. I've felt the results with my own skin. I've experienced it, I've lived it myself. You seem to be in touch with your inner self. Can you not feel it gleeber?

The same goes for mediumship. I've received messages from other worlds, from other dimensions, from other life forces. I know they're out there. They're not some silly fantasy overgrown water slug that's reputed to pollute our fair country's grandest stretch of inland waterway.

Take a leaf out of htwood's book. She's on the glorious road to enlightenment, but she has much to learn. I suspect she's one of us, a glorious Scottish Witch.

Read my lips. Nessie is purely human fantasy.

phoenix
03-Dec-05, 00:11
I said in a previous thread about driving up Loch Ness side in a car with 5 people, one person in the car saw Nessie and I believe her, but I wondered why we all didnt see her. The conclusion I came to was that if the conditions are right and you have the ability ie ESP You can tune into a time in the distant past and see what was once there, either that or someones been playing magician and created the monster for some reason only known to them.........the energies at and around Loch Ness are very powerful, it is on a major fault line which again may trigger of ESP in some people......and may also explain why tugmistresses equipment went a bit wonky:}

Astra
03-Dec-05, 01:13
She looks like a lassis from keiss usetil date

Moira
03-Dec-05, 02:03
okay, though make of the story what you will ;)

We hired a cruiser for a week doing the Caley Canal which was fitted out with fish finder and deep sea sonar (we where basically spending the week fishing for our supper)
On the way back through Loch Ness from Fort Augustus we had got to about 3 mie from the entrance to the loch when the fish finder started 'going on the blink' which had happened before but we thought nothing of it. Within the next few seconds, the sonar that had been reading between 90m and 95m depth below us started jumping to 45m 90m,30m,90m,20m,90m then 1.4m! As i was 'driving' i could see we were nowhere near either edge of the loch but was concerned to say the least as to what i was about to run into. anyway, this depth carried on for about a mile and a half then all of a sudden the sonar dropped back off to about 130m at which point something broke the surface off to the left of the boat and made a wake for a few seconds (about 30ft off)
Both myself and husband at the time saw this and we just looked at each other - when we got back to the boat yard we asked about underwater features, looked at charts of what is known of the area and no such pinnacle or anything exists.

you tell me what we saw :)

Thanks for posting this Tugmistress - I'll come back to this thread when all the "Dimbo/Dumbo" rubbish has been sorted out by the Administrators in the morning - seems like the board is hi-jacked on at least a weekly basis now as a matter of course. Darn nuisance really for all the genuine members & posters here - but - such is life !

angela5
03-Dec-05, 02:28
I was reading on another post how someone thought they'd seen a fairy in the bushes,what nonsense.
Every xmas we see santa in fact more than one in shops etc,some of these santa's rattling charity tins, now we know he does'nt exist.
Nessie is another fragment of the imagination, all this is a money making business, notice they all cost us money!!
fairies-money under the pillow.
santa- money to fill his sack.
nessie- take the souvenir shops in Drumnadrochit.

crayola
03-Dec-05, 18:52
I said in a previous thread about driving up Loch Ness side in a car with 5 people, one person in the car saw Nessie and I believe her, but I wondered why we all didnt see her. The conclusion I came to was that if the conditions are right and you have the ability ie ESP You can tune into a time in the distant past and see what was once there, either that or someones been playing magician and created the monster for some reason only known to them.........the energies at and around Loch Ness are very powerful, it is on a major fault line which again may trigger of ESP in some people......and may also explain why tugmistresses equipment went a bit wonky:}
:eek: And there was lil ol' me thinkin' I was pushing some edge of the envelope ideas on collective consciousness. Now we have Nessie being conjured up by ESP across time, or ESP from powerful energies around the loch. Where do these energies come from?

I think I'll stick to safe, verifiable topics like present-time ESP and wiccanism.

Last weekend I learned how to recognise witches or potential witches so I'm scanning the threads looking for tell-tale signs. You don't show any. Does that surprise you? Not sure about Moira. Probably not, she'd resist the temptation to try it all out.

phoenix
03-Dec-05, 21:26
:eek: And there was lil ol' me thinkin' I was pushing some edge of the envelope ideas on collective consciousness. Now we have Nessie being conjured up by ESP across time, or ESP from powerful energies around the loch. Where do these energies come from?

I think I'll stick to safe, verifiable topics like present-time ESP and wiccanism.

Last weekend I learned how to recognise witches or potential witches so I'm scanning the threads looking for tell-tale signs. You don't show any. Does that surprise you? Not sure about Moira. Probably not, she'd resist the temptation to try it all out.

Where do these energies come from ... maybe its got something to do with the man that once lived by Loch Ness who was a "friend" of the guy who founded Wicca!

Im not surprised you dont "see" any tell tale signs of a Witch in me crayola.... Thats probably because Im not one!:}

willowbankbear
03-Dec-05, 23:01
Of course Nessie is there alive & kicking, have a deek at the post about the dangers of drugs people-Ill let ye make up yer own minds on this one

mr bean
05-Dec-05, 00:52
I seen nessie today in inverness while filling up with petrol and also seen santa so it just shows dont believe everything told. lol

Moira
05-Dec-05, 02:12
[QUOTE=crayola Last weekend I learned how to recognise witches or potential witches so I'm scanning the threads looking for tell-tale signs. You don't show any. Does that surprise you? Not sure about Moira. Probably not, she'd resist the temptation to try it all out.[/QUOTE]

Oh dear, Crayola - I've been called many a thing but never a witch - what makes you think I have "witchy tendencies" ?? I think your description of Nessie as a "silly fantasy overgrown water slug" is rather unkind, although I did find it funny. I believe that Tugmistress had a close encounter with the real Nessie - hope you never meet her - she'll certainly want to rock your boat if she finds out what you called her :) Am I a very strong-willed witch, in your opinion, then - going by your comment ?

crayola
05-Dec-05, 02:32
Oh dear, Crayola - I've been called many a thing but never a witch - what makes you think I have "witchy tendencies" ?? I think your description of Nessie as a "silly fantasy overgrown water slug" is rather unkind, although I did find it funny. I believe that Tugmistress had a close encounter with the real Nessie - hope you never meet her - she'll certainly want to rock your boat if she finds out what you called her :) Am I a very strong-willed witch, in your opinion, then - going by your comment ?
As you well know, a strong-willed witch wouldn't need to ask. ;)

George Brims
05-Dec-05, 20:41
If you're down that way the Loch Ness Monster Exhibition in Drumnadrochit is worth a visit. We had been there years before and it was a very pro-Nessie-exists sort of display. Now the whole thing has been modernised and is much more critical, displaying a wide rangre of pros and cons. Overall the feeling is of "It's such a big murky place there's no telling what's down there but a big monster like the postcards and souvenirs we're happy to sell you when you're through here ain't it!"

My personal feeling is there is some kind of big creature living in there (and by big I mean bigger than me, not bigger than a bus!), but any chance of serious discussion of it has been ruined by all the hucksters and charlatans who have got involved over the years.

catherine nicol
05-Dec-05, 23:06
There is a new book out by Helen Campbell, a local lass.

It is for sale in D R Simpson and Bews, it is called 'Brodie McHaggis in search of the loch ness monster'. I hear it is a good read for all from 7 to 77 years old.

Go on give it a go, support a local writer. It is selling like hot cakes already.

hails4
06-Dec-05, 11:55
whats happens if your 78?

highlander2222
07-Dec-05, 22:19
Yes i do thonk there is some thing

fed-ex
07-Dec-05, 22:23
Yes i do thonk there is some thingYes I thonk so too......

highlander2222
07-Dec-05, 22:25
Yes I thonk so too......

THINK THINK THINK THINK

Chillie
07-Dec-05, 22:31
Yes I thonk so too......

Any relation to the policeman on Alo Alo.

Sporran
16-Dec-05, 05:51
I've enjoyed reading everyone's opinions on the Loch Ness Monster, and found Tugmistress's experience rather intruiging!

My mind is open to the possibility that Nessie exists, but I'm not 100% convinced that she does.