PDA

View Full Version : Property Selling Advice

linksys
01-Dec-05, 19:13
Hi

I've been advertising my house in Halkirk for sale for the past couple of weeks in the Groat, Courier, Dounreay Bulletin Board, Caithness.org property section etc and have had 8 interested parties come forward asking for further info. Unfortunately I didn't only provide a telephone number but I gave an email address also and everyone has been emailing to date (no phone calls or viewings). I know at least 2 of the people who have contacted me are only interested in interior design tips and have no intention of buying (it's a small world in Caithness). As such I reckon I have encourage people just interested in a look at the interior of your house!

I had decided to give it a couple of weeks selling privately but now I've got to look at selling through one of the estate agents - Georgesons, Young Robertson, McPherson or The Mortgage Shop. The question is - Which one would you guys and girls recommend and what experience have you had with them?

Cheers

Alan

paris
01-Dec-05, 19:16
Brought and sold through young robertsons , very good service.

colmac
01-Dec-05, 19:18
We have used Young Robertson twice and have been very happy with them both times! Ewan Thoms is their property man.

badger
01-Dec-05, 19:26
Young Robertson seem to have the biggest portfolio and probably the best reputation but neither they nor Macpherson have their own websites and are not much use online. Georgesons have a website but their virtual tours are hopeless. Mortgage Shop are the best online but not sure what they're like otherwise. I tend to go off any company that doesn't have a decent website but that's just me! You could always get them all to value it and see which one you like best.

krieve
01-Dec-05, 19:38
Hi when we bought our house we went with dunnet& co big mistake by us we had a few problems. But the most memorable was the day we were getting the keys and dunnets were ment to put our cheque to Young robertson to be given to the owner. We went to get the keys and were told sorry we have not recieved the cheque but we will phone you when its arrives .The phone rang about 5 to 5 so we went down and were about to get the keys .When they looked at the cheque and they found that dunnets had put the the wrong amount on the cheque. Young robertson phoned dunnets but they had gone home so we had to wait over the weekend and got the keys on the monday. I can tell you i was not impressed. When we do go to sell our house in the future i will not be going to dunnets i will go to young robertson we were'nt the first to have problems with dunnets probably wont be the last.

Doleve
01-Dec-05, 19:50
In the past i have found that,Young Robertsons to be competitivly priced, but ewen thoms to be slow and needing constant encouragement( they all do but he has been the slowest ive found).Others find him good though.
Georgesons appeared to me to as good as i could get in caithness but their charges were astrononical in comparason to the others(nearly double).If you go to the wick office and pull up at the front door in a fancy car you instantly get their full attention!
Dunnet and co in wick used to be good when it was Christine Ball, but the new bloke has driven me up the wall with his arrogance.hehas been nearly as slow as Ewen Thoms.But i think they are still offer value for money.
Ive never worked with macphersons or Pollards.My experiances are you have to find the best of a bad bunch!

catherine nicol
01-Dec-05, 20:04
We have had experience of firstly buying and secondly selling a home via The Mortgage Shop and have no problems with Ian and Donald atall. Highly recommended.

Give them a ring and ask their fee/advice etc. I am sure that they charge 1% of the selling price as their fee but not sure, I remember it was by far the cheapest and we were very happy with the service we received.

If you pop in tell them that I recommended them to you.

We use Bruce de Wert of DWGeorgesons as our solicitor and again can recommend Bruce. He was extremely helpful when we bought our house.

Good luck.

concerned resident
01-Dec-05, 21:11
I used MacPherson & Co when I brought my property, and have used them on several other occasions, and every time it has been a smooth efficient Job, reasonably priced, I would recommend them.

caithpal
01-Dec-05, 21:46
Hi

I've used Young Robertson before and they are pretty good.

Where is your house as I'm looking for one in Halkirk. There is one down near Camilla Street on Bridge Street but they are looking for way over what I think it is worth although it does have a conservatory and a detached games room at the back. Still most houses are very expensive for some reason in Halkirk.

If it is on the right hand side along Camilla Street where Norscot built a few years back you’ll have some cracking views of the country. I’m sure you’ll sell that no bother.

Would anyone recommend Halkirk to live or is it true that it is the alleged "Wife Swapping" capital of Caithness?!?!?!?

daviddd
01-Dec-05, 22:43
Hobson's choice really - I had a poor recent experience with Y&R's estate agency when I found them very unhelpful, I felt like a bit of a nuisance trying to find out about the property I was interested in. I finished up doing all my own research and got much farther.

Mortgage shop might be a better bet, they haven't had time to get complacent yet. I found them quite helpful when I put a bid in some time ago, although the solicitor from Glenrothes was a waste of space as he gave me no feedback whatsoever, even on the morning of the deadline date - very stressful. Happily I didn't get charged any fees (just as well!!).

Getting off the track a bit, I once used a solicitor in Kirkwall who I used in a divorce case, he hadn't managed to achieve the desired state inside 5 years, whereupon I went to the court myslef, paid £70 and DIY'd it. he must have been the absolute dregs of the legal world (and there are plenty of bad ones!). I've truly never had a decent one in mant attempts in my life.

stekar
01-Dec-05, 22:45
When we bought a property recently we used an Inverness solicitor and he was fantastic. He had to constantly chase Young Robertson, but from putting in our offer to getting the keys it only took 4 weeks!!

If we ever decided to sell, think I would use them as they were very efficient and reasonable fees.

linksys
01-Dec-05, 22:52
Thanks everyone. Looks like they are all as bad as each other!

In response to caithpal it is one fo the "new" Norscot houses (5 years old) on the right as you drive down from Bridge Street. Feel free to come and have a look the house name is "Torremar".

Thanks

crayola
02-Dec-05, 02:29
Still most houses are very expensive for some reason in Halkirk.
That depends on where you're looking from. I've just looked at that house on this website. It would go for at least £400,000 in my neck of the woods, possibly reaching half a million in a good location.

linksys
02-Dec-05, 20:37
Crayola - I fully agree! £123k won't buy you much anywhere South of Inverness!! I recently say a 2 bed flat in Reading for £340k

Thanks again for all your replies!

margesimpson
02-Dec-05, 21:08
A few weeks isn't long to be trying to sell a house in Halkirk at the moment.
There are a few £100K+ properties that have been on the market a good few months and you are bound to get the sunday buyers who are just out for a nose around.Isn't there any other free property journals that you could try. What are your colour schemes anyway.:)

crayola
02-Dec-05, 23:05
Crayola - I fully agree! £123k won't buy you much anywhere South of Inverness!! I recently say a 2 bed flat in Reading for £340k

Thanks again for all your replies!
It won't buy you an awful lot in Inverness either. Prices have gone up a lot there in the last few years.

I'm going to look at a couple of houses near here this weekend. They both look really nice, but neither leaves much change out of half a million. I don't think I can afford either of them so I'll likely end up being one of the Sunday buyers who're just out for a nose around. :rolleyes:

Rheghead
02-Dec-05, 23:11
I'm going to look at a couple of houses near here this weekend.

Have you tried 'Witch Property Magazine'? :)

Sorry, that was my poor attempt at humour...

crayola
03-Dec-05, 01:22
Have you tried 'Witch Property Magazine'? :)

Sorry, that was my poor attempt at humour...
Why are you apologizing? I see you as a potential convert.

angela5
03-Dec-05, 01:26
Do you think you really are a witch then?

fed-ex
03-Dec-05, 01:29
Why are you apologizing? I see you as a potential convert.Can someone be converted into a witch. Is it not something you would be from birth?

AR
05-Dec-05, 23:08
When i bought my last house a cople of years ago i used Young Robertsons. .I priced with them, Dunett &Co, Macphersons and D W Georgesons.Young Robertsons were the cheapest. I used their services because they were recomended, not on price.They were not as informative as Dunett &Co were when I bought my previous house, the developer was using them so I couldnt.