PDA

View Full Version : Slow computer

Sandra
17-Jun-08, 19:40
I have a HP desktop PC, which is running very slowly. It has a 256 MB DDR and 2.4 GHz Intel Celeron processor.

It takes ages for Windows to start. I have AVG, ZoneAlarm and Spybot running from start-up.

Also, it takes IE or Firefox ages to start up when icon is double clicked.

It's been like this for a couple of months now.

I stopped using AOL a couple of months ago, could there still be some AOL software lurking in the background?

Is there any diagnostic checks or similar that I can run to check the PC and get it to run quicker?

Sapphire2803
17-Jun-08, 20:40
Are you running the latest AVG? (version 8) If so, it has antispyware built in. I have never got on with zonealarm myself, I found it slowed things down too much. Are you "behind a router"? if so, does it have a firewall that you could use instead?
I assume you've done all the usual things like de-fragging, clearing the cookies, cache etc.....
Have you considered getting more memory? Also, how big is your hard drive and how full is it?

To be honest, my bet is that you could do with more memory.

blueivy
17-Jun-08, 21:41
I have a HP desktop PC, which is running very slowly. It has a 256 MB DDR and 2.4 GHz Intel Celeron processor.

It takes ages for Windows to start. I have AVG, ZoneAlarm and Spybot running from start-up.

Also, it takes IE or Firefox ages to start up when icon is double clicked.

It's been like this for a couple of months now.

I stopped using AOL a couple of months ago, could there still be some AOL software lurking in the background?

Is there any diagnostic checks or similar that I can run to check the PC and get it to run quicker?

Hi Sandra,

First thing to find out is if it was slow before you took the AOL software on. Knowing the dreadful software that they install I would have expected it to be slow before the uninstall rather than after.

Standard things to try are full virus and spyware scans using multiple products if possible. Also if you have AVG that has antispyware then turn SpyBot off running at startup as it's unnecessary.

One other thing to look into is Zonealarm itself. Zonealarm has a 'product suite' including firewall, antivirus etc. Make sure you only use the firewall part as running two on-access antivirus products will cause lot's of problems (slowdowns being one of them). My suggestion is actually to ditch Zonealarm in favour of Comodo (http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/) if you're not too tied to it. It will be both smaller and faster.

Other things to try that have already been suggested are finding out how full your hard drive is, what is actually running at startup, how much memory you have left after you've started etc.

256Mb RAM isn't really sufficient to be running Windows these days for anything more than very basic stuff. I know Windows will 'run' ion 64Mb RAM, but you're running a fairly beefy apps at startup there and the more memory you have, the less swapping needs to take place and therefore the faster your machine will be. I'd recommend 512Mb RAM as an absolute minimum and 1Gb preferably. More than 3GB is usually a waste of money (unless you're running a 64bit Windows OS).

Sandra
19-Jun-08, 12:18
Thanks for your replies.

It was never this slow with AOL installed.

I think the slowness seemed to happen after I upgraded spybot and it started running on start-up. I stopped that and am trying Comodo in pace on ZoneAlarm.

PC seems to be running better now.

I'm only using it for surfing and emails, but will think about upgrading the memory.

blueivy
19-Jun-08, 12:24
Thanks for your replies.

It was never this slow with AOL installed.

I think the slowness seemed to happen after I upgraded spybot and it started running on start-up. I stopped that and am trying Comodo in pace on ZoneAlarm.

PC seems to be running better now.

I'm only using it for surfing and emails, but will think about upgrading the memory.

For just basic surfing and emails 256Mb RAM you will probably get away with 256Mb RAM. When you start adding antivirus, firewalls etc. which all eat up memory it then starts to slow down. Each time something wants memory that isn't available,. part of the memory is swapped to disk to make way for it's request. When something else wants that bit of memory that's been swapoped to disk back, it has to swap out another bit and so on and on and on ... this is why more memory (up to a limit) is always good for you computer as it stops parts being swapped to disk. The disk is the slowest part of your computer so keeping away from it is always good.

If you download a program called Autoruns (http://www.microsoft.com/uk/partner/learningpaths/?id=licensing.mlss) it will let you see what your computer is running at startup (there are a lot of other programs like Autoruns too). Also look into your Startup folder to see what is starting up there. For a computer with 256Mb RAM I would switch off everything that you don't need. Be careful though you know what you are turning off!

Sandra
10-Jul-08, 12:50
Can you recommend anywhere where I can purchase some more RAM?

Thanks.

blueivy
10-Jul-08, 13:04
Can you recommend anywhere where I can purchase some more RAM?

Thanks.

Hi Sandra,

There are a thousand places to purchase RAM (as you probably know). If it's for a branded computer (ie. Dell, Compaq etc.) I'd try Crucial (http://www.crucial.com/uk)as you can put in the make and model of the PC and they guarantee it will work (if not they will exchange it). Even if it's not branded, they also have a tool that you can install that will tell you what RAM you need and what you already have (so you can buy the right parts).

I've used them in he past without problems.

Brizer2k7
10-Jul-08, 16:48
Or try mrmemory.co.uk for memory

justine
10-Jul-08, 17:05
suggest more ram memory. should be able to pick a 2gb memory from ebay for less than 20 quid..

blueivy
10-Jul-08, 17:12
suggest more ram memory. should be able to pick a 2gb memory from ebay for less than 20 quid..

I'd caution against doing this unless you know what you're buying.

You can't just go out and buy 2Gb of RAM (or any other size) unless you know the answers to these questions:

Speed of the memory?
Module type?
Number of chips per module (most likely this doesn't matter, but you never know)?
Is it ECC or Non-ECC (most likely Non-ECC but again you never know)?
Do you have to install in pairs?
What is the maximum memory you can install?
What do you have now in terms of number of modules?
How many slots does your motherboard have?

router
11-Jul-08, 12:05
Originally Posted by justine http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=405985#post405985)

we had similar problems like this with pc running slow taking ages to load things or having to wait for a couple of minutes for pages etc to load or it would just freeze up!
obviously we didn't just stick a card in ,i called supplier first to check,much easier than going round sites to find correct one.
supplier told us it could take 2gb and type to install,i was going to just stick 1gb in it,bobovonich suggested 2gb,what a difference! like a whole new pc

justine
11-Jul-08, 13:12
I'd caution against doing this unless you know what you're buying.

You can't just go out and buy 2Gb of RAM (or any other size) unless you know the answers to these questions:

Speed of the memory?
Module type?
Number of chips per module (most likely this doesn't matter, but you never know)?
Is it ECC or Non-ECC (most likely Non-ECC but again you never know)?
Do you have to install in pairs?
What is the maximum memory you can install?
What do you have now in terms of number of modules?
How many slots does your motherboard have?

I know i should have put more info on but it is logic to most that you find out details of your own computer before adding anything or even uploading anything. Pc incompatiability is most annoying.ours works so much better now we have brough up the mem status.

phil_moonbeam
15-Jul-08, 09:16
for good cheap parts ram etc try this site www.aria.co.uk i buy a lot of bits of them no probs and fast delivery to the north

bluenose
15-Jul-08, 16:41
I may have missed something but if it's Vista, then a memory stick or photo memory cards will add RAM.

Bobinovich
15-Jul-08, 19:18
Think you're getting a bit confused BN - RAM is something which has to be fitted into special slots on the motherboard.

When Windows starts up, it loads from the hard drive into the much faster RAM where it is used by Windows, other programs and data - so the more RAM you add, the better the system works (up to a point anyway).

Plugging in a USB memory stick or camera memory card only adds a storage area - and those are usually temporary at that as, in general, they are unplugged in between uses.

blueivy
15-Jul-08, 20:16
I may have missed something but if it's Vista, then a memory stick or photo memory cards will add RAM.

You're thinking of Vista Ready Boost? Works to a point but is no where near as good as adding more RAM.

If you're going to use devices for Ready Boost, you need to make sure they are certified for it.

Bobinovich
15-Jul-08, 20:31
Well you learn something new every day! I didn't even know Vista had that facility :roll:. Thanks Paul for the explanation, and I agree that adding RAM is still the best way to go and is both relatively cheap to buy & easy to install.

Sandra
18-Jul-08, 18:18
Thanks for all your help. I used the Crucial scan. Ordered some more memory Monday evening and it arrived Wednesday. Very impressed.

Installed memory today and it's working like a dream.