PDA

View Full Version : Information on an old Wick Fishing Boat

catherine nicol
01-Dec-05, 18:47
Calling all you old sea dogs out there !

Can anyone provide me with information on a Wick registered fishing boat WK 270 with registered name of Maureen.

I have been left a photograph of this boat and her crew but cannot remember this boat myself.

My dad Pat Nicol had the Enterprise back in the 1970s and I can recall some of the older fleet such as The Sceptre, Morning Star, Ajax, Girl Angela, Day Star, etc, but not Maureen.

I would appreciate any information you can furnish me with as I would like to know a little about the picture before having it framed for display.

Thank you in anticipation.

Catherine

peedie man
01-Dec-05, 19:02
the maureen worked out of scrabster,she was owned by willie simpson who died a young man. she was later skippered by nicky simpson

dozy
01-Dec-05, 19:27
hi

my dad was a crew member of the Maureen when Willie Simpson was skipper and owner when she was first launched. Other members of the crew were Robbie Sinclair, Jimmie Mackay (Birdie), Frankie Oag and I think the fourth was Danny McIntosh. I hope this is of some help to you.

Rhubarb
01-Dec-05, 19:44
Wrecks Of The Pentland Firth 1934 - 1981
W. Bremner and D. G. Sinclair

1965 "RADIANT OUEEN", an Orkney fishing boat, struck the rocks on the north coast of Caithness. She was towed off by the Thurso seine-net boat" Maureen" and managed to make Scrabster, badly damaged.

Note found on the Caithness.org web site

Rhubarb

jm.mack
01-Dec-05, 19:52
If my memory serves me right I think Hugh Calder of Wick skippered the Maureen from Wick at one time. I was really young at the time but do remember this boat & I'm sure Hughie skippered it.

catherine nicol
01-Dec-05, 20:11
Thank you for the information provided so far, that certainly clears that up.

I will save this information with the photograph for later use.

If you think of anything else then feel free to keep responding.

Thanks again

Catherine

peedie man
01-Dec-05, 23:28
the calders had a boat called the Moira if i remember right