PDA

View Full Version : Afghanistan

TBH
17-Jun-08, 14:32
Why are we there? Is an oil pipeline through Afghanistan the right reason and a worthy cause for the deaths of our kids or is it about stopping drug production at source and stopping it from reaching our country?

AfternoonDelight
17-Jun-08, 14:43
Heroin is still readily available and no dent has been made in the production and supply. This government has lied to us about everything to do with these illegal wars and all they have acheived is an increase in hatred of the west and our brave soldiers being killed overseas.

It's wrong - they lie. I don't see us invading Columbia to stop the production of Cocaine.

Gleber2
17-Jun-08, 14:58
The Taliban had stopped the growing of poppies when they were defeated by the West. When the Talban was removed, the Afghans started to produce opium again. We invaded Afghanistan several times in the 18th and 19th centuries at a time when opium trading was legal and this latest invasion has exacerbated the problem, not helped to stop the trade in drugs. We have no right to meddle in the affairs of any sovereign power.
If we are fighting for the civil rights of the Afghans and Iraqis, why are we not fighthing a similar fight for the people in Tibet, Zimbabwe, Rowanda, Burma, Chechnya and all the other unfortunate countries who are victims of oppressive regimes?

TBH
17-Jun-08, 15:09
The Taliban had stopped the growing of poppies when they were defeated by the West. When the Talban was removed, the Afghans started to produce opium again. We invaded Afghanistan several times in the 18th and 19th centuries at a time when opium trading was legal and this latest invasion has exacerbated the problem, not helped to stop the trade in drugs. We have no right to meddle in the affairs of any sovereign power.
If we are fighting for the civil rights of the Afghans and Iraqis, why are we not fighthing a similar fight for the people in Tibet, Zimbabwe, Rowanda, Burma, Chechnya and all the other unfortunate countries who are victims of oppressive regimes?My thoughts exactly, we are either there for right or we are there for profit. Profit is not what our soldiers gve their lives for.

balto
17-Jun-08, 15:18
i wont pretend to know why we are fighting here, but i do know that seeing these you men arrive home in coffins is the most heartbreaking sight,seeing 5 more arrive home yesterday, was just terriable, and now gordon brown is pledging to send more, thought tony blair was george bush's lapdog not gordon brown'

TBH
17-Jun-08, 15:35
i wont pretend to know why we are fighting here, but i do know that seeing these you men arrive home in coffins is the most heartbreaking sight,seeing 5 more arrive home yesterday, was just terriable, and now gordon brown is pledging to send more, thought tony blair was george bush's lapdog not gordon brown'Unfortunately where big money is concerned we are little more than casting couch material in the eyes of the Powerful countries of this world.[disgust]

joxville
17-Jun-08, 18:28
I thought we were there under the orders of Dubya Bush to find Osama bin Laden. He was hiding behind a grassy knoll. However,just like the WMD report's there was no substance to those rumours.

The oil supplies have nothing to do with it but since we're there why pass up the opportunity?

Venture
18-Jun-08, 08:46
Another four soldiers killed in Afghanistan.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7460617.stm

When is this madness going to stop?

Rheghead
18-Jun-08, 09:06
As far as I am aware, the vast majority of soldiers can't wait to get to Afghanistan to be soldiers so the risks don't seem to put them off very much.

MadPict
18-Jun-08, 14:56
As far as I am aware, the vast majority of soldiers can't wait to get to Afghanistan to be soldiers so the risks don't seem to put them off very much.

As far as you aware? I don't think anyone would be lining up to go do some fighting with an enemy who are fighting a guerrilla war, certainly doing increasingly more frequent tours in pretty extreme conditions.
The Americans lost in Vietnam.
The Russians lost in Afghanistan.
Will the British loose there too?

I think Brown's words at PM QT this morning are hollow - he doesn't care how many service personnel are sent home in boxes or crippled. If he did then he would do something positive about the care of the injured and the families of those lost, instead of leaving it to charitable organisations like the RBL or Help for Heroes. He would ensure that those fighting the Taliban or other enemies are give the proper equipment and support to do the job.

Or does having 8 Chinooks sat doing nothing indicate a government doing the right thing?......
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/jun/04/military.defence

Gleber2
18-Jun-08, 15:00
He would ensure that those fighting the Taliban or other enemies are give the proper equipment and support to do the job.

The Taleban only became an 'enemy' when we decided to interfere in Afghanistan.

MadPict
18-Jun-08, 15:03
Not going to bite.......