PDA

View Full Version : What are do-gooders?

sweetpea
16-Jun-08, 23:49
I've seen mention of these people on a few threads lately. What is a do-gooder?

Venture
17-Jun-08, 00:00
Someone who advocates or performs what they believe to be the morally superior course of action even in the face of overwhelming opposition or apathy.

That's the official explanation sweetpea but Im sure many on here will come up with a few choice words in its place. [lol]

Foxy
17-Jun-08, 00:02
To me a do-gooder is someone who sticks there nose in where it isin't wanted. :roll:

angela5
17-Jun-08, 00:14
Do-gooders think they are above everyone else.[disgust]

Anne x
17-Jun-08, 00:20
To me a do-gooder is someone who sticks there nose in where it isin't wanted. :roll:

very true and can also twist the truth to there own ends but always being reminded "It was for there own good " whoe's good ? nearly always the person who has interfered in the first place !!!

there are the other do gooders who beaver away in local communties doing all sorts of good fund raising knitting cuddly toys , making tablet organising raffles for the church sale or whatever charitable thing they are involved with so I suppose there are two kinds of do gooders really

oldmarine
17-Jun-08, 00:22
To each his/her own on this one!

Lord Flasheart
17-Jun-08, 01:26
Someone who goes out of their way to make excuses for those who feed off rather than contribute to society.

Torvaig
17-Jun-08, 06:18
There are lots of people out there who "do good" quietly, efficiently and without trumpet but the phrase has evolved into a derogatory term for those who stick their noses in where they are not wanted or who defend those whom others deride.

joxville
17-Jun-08, 07:18

I have four words to pass on to you,copy and paste into google.

Lord Longford Myra Hindley

chaz
17-Jun-08, 08:55
Do gooder ....... the type of person to drives me insain, no time for them!

Rheghead
17-Jun-08, 09:06
Do-gooder is used as a derogatory term by anyone who hasn't got the moral fortitude to change their ways for the better. Today's 'do-gooders' are tomorrow's morality heroes, not that we would admit it. I could name quite a few 'do-gooders', Elizabeth Fry, Trevor Phillips, Emily Pankhurst, William Wilberforce, Karl Marx, etc etc, we now look to them for example.

brandy
17-Jun-08, 09:09
some one who does good?

cd1977
17-Jun-08, 09:18
Wick high school campaign team = do gooders :cool:

Blue light disco organisers = do gooders :cool:

Gizmo
17-Jun-08, 09:21
Do-Gooder = 90% Of Org Posters

Angela
17-Jun-08, 09:22
Not a word I ever use. I think of it as always being said with a slight sneer - or maybe just ironically.

I wonder if it's always had the connotations it appears to have now? :confused

The implication seems to be that the 'do-gooders' are doing no good at all, that they might have good intentions ....but if they do, they are totally misguided.

cd1977
17-Jun-08, 09:39
Aye yer not wrong Gizmo. Scan the threads and play "spot the do-gooder".

It's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Venture
17-Jun-08, 10:14
Wick high school campaign team = do gooders :cool:

Blue light disco organisers = do gooders :cool:

At least us "do-gooders" got off our backsides and are trying to do something about the state of Wick High School. More than I can say for all the "anons" who sit in the background and criticise. "Poking our noses in where they're not wanted" has already secured £1 million for repairs to the school. You never know what might happen if we poke a bit further.[lol]

cd1977
17-Jun-08, 10:25
Oh I know.

I was physically accosted outside Homebase by a rabble of do-gooders just last week. When I protested that I had no idea what to write to Alec Salmond on a postcard, I was given a ready made slogan and told to get on with it.

So I ended up supporting the campaign, if not the do gooders behind it.

sweetpea
17-Jun-08, 16:17
Reading the posts I've come to the conclusion it's situations where people force help or whatever where it's not wanted. I like to think there's good in everyone, but it's how you go about it or what you believe in that seems to make the difference.

percy toboggan
17-Jun-08, 17:13

Anyone who votes Liberal-Democrat.

Venture
17-Jun-08, 17:34
Oh I know.

I was physically accosted outside Homebase by a rabble of do-gooders just last week. When I protested that I had no idea what to write to Alec Salmond on a postcard, I was given a ready made slogan and told to get on with it.

So I ended up supporting the campaign, if not the do gooders behind it.

What you, lost for words? Now there's a first.[lol]

dogman
17-Jun-08, 17:48
Do-Gooder = 90% Of Org Posters

there certainly are a few

cd1977
17-Jun-08, 17:48
I was trying to get away from them, but they were ready for my excuse. I suspect others had a similar experience. Alec Salmond will be in receipt of several thousand postcards bearing identical slogans.

Incidentally, maybe I was wrong to say rabble. What is the correct term for a group of do gooders?

A pride of do gooders?
A shoal of do gooders?
A pack of do gooders?

cd1977
17-Jun-08, 17:51
Double post, whoops

squidge
17-Jun-08, 19:33
What is the correct term for a group of do gooders?

A pride of do gooders?
A shoal of do gooders?
A pack of do gooders?

Nope - A sainthood of do-gooders

sweetpea
17-Jun-08, 23:50
Anyone who votes Liberal-Democrat.

Sorry, you lost me now cause I'm not sure what that is or anything political. The only thing I know is that at one time the whole of HIghlands was a Liberal majority but I never knew what it meant. Is Lord Thurso one?

Average
18-Jun-08, 00:09
has already secured £1 million for repairs to the school.

Christ!, Surely that one million could be better spent than on a spot of decorating at a school.

emb123
18-Jun-08, 03:13
"not one of us"

Peter Gabriel plays live.
'it's a name given to a group of people by a small group of people in order to feel strong.'

Sticks and stones and sheep

Sapphire2803
18-Jun-08, 08:54
Christ!, Surely that one million could be better spent than on a spot of decorating at a school.

Who said anything about decorating?