View Full Version : Midsummer Night

Tighsonas4
16-Jun-08, 20:26
MID SUMMER NIGHT
as saturday next is the 21st and we come to the turn of the day
how many will be going swimming in the trinkie at midnight [lol] tony

northener
16-Jun-08, 20:48
Nah, I have to drink some heather ale and eat a raw sheep.

cazmanian_minx
16-Jun-08, 20:51
We're considering a midnight picnic on the beach!

Tugmistress
16-Jun-08, 22:03
We're considering a midnight picnic on the beach!

Take yer brolly lol
all kidding aside i am hoping that it'll be a clear and dry night this year, but unfortunately it's not looking like that at the moment! :(

sweetpea
16-Jun-08, 23:22
I'm planning some sort of get to gether of like minded people to celebrate the mmonent. A whole 24 hours of daylight :)

AfternoonDelight
17-Jun-08, 12:00
MID SUMMER NIGHT

Have you seen the state of the Trinkie lately - it's covered in gunk!!? Why don't the council clean it up? [evil]

Cattach
17-Jun-08, 13:03
Have you seen the state of the Trinkie lately - it's covered in gunk!!? Why don't the council clean it up? [evil]

Why don't you get together with a few mates and clean it up. Lots of folk have done that before as I did myself when I lived in Wick.

AfternoonDelight
17-Jun-08, 14:06
This town could do with some more people like you then... :D

My point was - don't we pay enough council tax as it is without having to rely on good samaritans such as yourself to get things done?

IF I lived in that area I would be very happy to give up some of my time to help. I've done some research though and apparently there are some problems with the structure. Who has resposibility for that? Cleaning I could just about handle - hefting giant stones around - I think not...

TBH
17-Jun-08, 14:17
This town could do with some more people like you then... :D

My point was - don't we pay enough council tax as it is without having to rely on good samaritans such as yourself to get things done?

IF I lived in that area I would be very happy to give up some of my time to help. I've done some research though and apparently there are some problems with the structure. Who has resposibility for that? Cleaning I could just about handle - hefting giant stones around - I think not...I don't know who is ultimately responsible for it's upkeep but I do know that Mr Iain Sutherland along with a team of volunteers have put in years of labour cleaning the place. I remember years ago also when they had the old Job Creation scheme that these guys and possibly gals on the scheme, would clean the place up.

AfternoonDelight
17-Jun-08, 14:25
You're right TBH - he has done a wonderful job on the past. His attention is focusing on Whaligoe at the moment though and nobody else has bothered in his absence...

TBH
17-Jun-08, 14:28
You're right TBH - he has done a wonderful job on the past. His attention is focusing on Whaligoe at the moment though and nobody else has bothered in his absence...A sad reflection on society as a whole, nobody seems to care about anything anymore, 'someone else will do it' seems to be the mindset of good proportion nowadays.

AfternoonDelight
17-Jun-08, 14:31
How very true...

scorrie
17-Jun-08, 15:28
I don't know who is ultimately responsible for it's upkeep but I do know that Mr Iain Sutherland along with a team of volunteers have put in years of labour cleaning the place. I remember years ago also when they had the old Job Creation scheme that these guys and possibly gals on the scheme, would clean the place up.

What about getting those who are on Community Service to clean the Trinkie up?

balto
17-Jun-08, 15:29
hard to believe thats us at the longest day already, all down hill form now on then

TBH
17-Jun-08, 15:33
What about getting those who are on Community Service to clean the Trinkie up?Excellent Idea Scorrie but how would we go about getting this in motion. I am a great beleiver that if those that wish to deface their community had to clean it up they would take more pride in it.

silverfox57
17-Jun-08, 20:54
MID SUMMER NIGHT
hope it is a clear sky as we are blessed with some lovely sunsets this far north at this time of year,as work nights can be dark for short time.same time foxs come out:lol:but wont be at trinkie full stop:~(

sam
17-Jun-08, 21:37

They could either get those on community service or those able bodied folk that are on the dole to do it

sweetpea
17-Jun-08, 23:44
I'm looking for a spectacular place to spend midsummer right now after this thread got me thinking. If anyone has a bit of cliff I can sit on and watch killer whales or a good sunset in their midst then count me in , lol:)

Kevin Milkins
17-Jun-08, 23:53
We could always call on the services of
JOE ARPAIO, HE IS THE MARICOPACOUNTY SHERIFF ( ARIZONA )
He would soon whip a team into shape.lol:lol:

lorr_mun14
18-Jun-08, 15:17
My brother is getting married to Silke that day, up at Castle Varrich in Tongue, I am just hoping and praying it stays nice for them to be able to do this, and have their pictures taken in what must be one of the most beautiful places in the North!

lorr_mun14
18-Jun-08, 15:18
I'm looking for a spectacular place to spend midsummer right now after this thread got me thinking. If anyone has a bit of cliff I can sit on and watch killer whales or a good sunset in their midst then count me in , lol:)

I would get yourself up to Holborn Head, it has to be one of the most spectacular places to sit and dream, and you may see a sighting of a whale or dolphin or porpoise! It's invigorating up there.

Kevin Milkins
18-Jun-08, 15:30
I would get yourself up to Holborn Head, it has to be one of the most spectacular places to sit and dream, and you may see a sighting of a whale or dolphin or porpoise! It's invigorating up there.

How do you get to Holburn Head from Wick?
It seems like it may stay fine and was toying with going for a ride on the bike, and that sounds like a good destination.

AfternoonDelight
18-Jun-08, 15:38
When I was little we used to go to a caravan park next to a golf course. I thought it was brilliant that people could be out playing golf at midnight!!

Now I just think they are sad...[lol]

Kevin Milkins
18-Jun-08, 16:03
Bike is out,leathers are on,binoculars camera and phone etc in bag,
Now how do I get to Holburn Head:confused
Or more to the point where is Holburn Head.lol

AfternoonDelight
18-Jun-08, 16:04
You're going to be a bit uncomfy in your leathers for three days!! :lol:

Kevin Milkins
18-Jun-08, 16:12
You're going to be a bit uncomfy in your leathers for three days!! :lol:

I am starting to feel a bit uncomfy and warm waiting for someone to tell me where Holburn Head is.

Is it a secret:lol:

sweetpea
18-Jun-08, 16:15
Good idea about Holburn Head, might go there. Sorry Kevin Milkins, I know exactly how to get to it but can't explain if that makes sense:eek: It's the headland at Thurso, near Scrabster.

AfternoonDelight
18-Jun-08, 16:17
I am starting to feel a bit uncomfy and warm waiting for someone to tell me where Holburn Head is.

Is it a secret:lol:

I think it must be!! :~(

Kevin Milkins
18-Jun-08, 16:17
Good idea about Holburn Head, might go there. Sorry Kevin Milkins, I know exactly how to get to it but can't explain if that makes sense:eek: It's the headland at Thurso, near Scrabster.

Thats a great start ,thanks sweetpea. I will get over that way and ask.
If I sit here much longer in my bike gear I will roast.:lol:lol

sweetpea
18-Jun-08, 16:22
Thats a great start ,thanks sweetpea. I will get over that way and ask.
If I sit here much longer in my bike gear I will roast.:lol:lol

You will if your in leathers and coming over here, it's so warm and close and thundery!

AfternoonDelight
18-Jun-08, 16:23
ooohhh - sounds nice!! :p

wifie
18-Jun-08, 16:24
When I was little we used to go to a caravan park next to a golf course. I thought it was brilliant that people could be out playing golf at midnight!!

Now I just think they are sad...[lol]

It is not sad to use the extra daylight! At least when I was a child it was one of the most exciting things about living in Thurso - the seemingly endless daylight hours. Being quite a "night" person I still love the fact that I can look out and see beauty instead of darkness.

Kevin Milkins
18-Jun-08, 17:17
That did not turn out to be such a good idea after all.
Left sunny Wick at the back of 4-o clock .I went Castletown way as I thought it would be a better ride down the coast to Thurso.
By the time I got to Bowermadden it was chucking it down with rain and all in front of me was black.
Turned around and I am back in sunny Wick.:mad:

Basking sharks can wait for another day I will wash the bike instead.:D

cazmanian_minx
18-Jun-08, 17:45
Do you still need directions? Park at Scrabster Harbour and walk down towards the old lighthouse at the end (now a private house). Just before their front gate, to the left, you'll see a public footpath - follow that over two or three fields until you see the big pile of stones, that's Holburn Head.

Kevin Milkins
18-Jun-08, 18:15
Do you still need directions? Park at Scrabster Harbour and walk down towards the old lighthouse at the end (now a private house). Just before their front gate, to the left, you'll see a public footpath - follow that over two or three fields until you see the big pile of stones, that's Holburn Head.

Thanks for that CM.
Next question ,whats the chance of ever geting my bike out without it raining.?:lol:

Tighsonas4
18-Jun-08, 19:46
AMENDEMENTS
the first post gives the saturday for a ball. it would seem that is in correct its the friday the 20 th this year
it seems its when the sun has reached its zenith so it varies a day
sorry if i put you all wrong but thats me [lol] regards tony

Errogie
18-Jun-08, 21:47
If the forecast is good I may try a bivy on Morven on Saturday night to hopefully catch a good sunrise for the Sunday morning. Would plan to leaving Braemore around 9 pm.

sweetpea
18-Jun-08, 23:23
Thanks for that CM.
Next question ,whats the chance of ever geting my bike out without it raining.?:lol:

I didn't think you were going there and then, thought you meantwas summer solstice night;) the directions given are spot on, that's the way I go, by the lighthouse.....

the_count
19-Jun-08, 18:00
afraid i will be away for midsomer night so i will miss it :mad: perhaps a picnic on sunday ..... cos i will be back then lol :lol:

sweetpea
21-Jun-08, 00:08
I'm confused, was told it was tonight because it's a leap Year but it's pitch black outside:confused

badger
21-Jun-08, 17:38
I'm confused, was told it was tonight because it's a leap Year but it's pitch black outside:confused

Think you're right sweetpea - at least that's when they were celebrating at Stonehenge and I'm sure they know. We've had this discussion before and it does change - it's usually described as "around" 21 June. Sorry you were so dark last night as it was still quite light here around midnight although would have been better if not so cloudy.

I love the amazing night skies of summer up here and find it hard to tear myself away from the window some nights. Somehow the slope down the other side of the solstice seems much quicker than the slope up to get here. Make the most of it. Poor souls in the south don't know what they're missing.

Cattach
21-Jun-08, 19:06
How do you get to Holburn Head from Wick?
It seems like it may stay fine and was toying with going for a ride on the bike, and that sounds like a good destination.

A number of option - Car, bus train, bike. not all the way for some transport but let's face it you got to expect to walk a distance wherever you ar going. You could go down to latheron and follow the A9 all the way to Scrabster and you are nearly there. Of course A9 does not go to Wick any more so to take the trunk route you will beed to get to Latheron. if you are still having a problem getting there from Wick borrow a Sat Nav - no problem!

bobandag16
21-Jun-08, 20:20
be fair thats hard work community servce was not to be tough

bobandag16
21-Jun-08, 20:30
MID SUMMER NIGHT
swinging sixty we played tennis swam in the sea at thurso had picnic visitors from england when does the towel go up in caithness never ever