PDA

View Full Version : beware natwest email

dandod
15-Jun-08, 17:10
i have recieved the following email from the natwset bank:

National Westminster Bank has been receiving complaints from our customers for unauthorised use of the Natwest Online accounts. As a result we periodically review Natwest Online Accounts and temporarily restrict access of those accounts which we think are vunerable to the unauthorised use.

This message has been sent to you from National Westminster Bank because we have noticed invalid login attempts into your account, due to this we are temporarily limiting and restricting your account access until we confirm your identity.

To confirm your identity and remove your account limitation please following the link below.

the funny thing is i dont even have an account with them!!the whole thing just screams scam.but some poor unsuspecting customer of the batwest bank may beleive it and enter their details before they know it thousands of pound of debt is run up in their name.so if anybody else has had this email please be careful.

Buttercup
15-Jun-08, 17:15
i have recieved the following email from the natwset bank:

National Westminster Bank has been receiving complaints from our customers for unauthorised use of the Natwest Online accounts. As a result we periodically review Natwest Online Accounts and temporarily restrict access of those accounts which we think are vunerable to the unauthorised use.

This message has been sent to you from National Westminster Bank because we have noticed invalid login attempts into your account, due to this we are temporarily limiting and restricting your account access until we confirm your identity.

To confirm your identity and remove your account limitation please following the link below.

the funny thing is i dont even have an account with them!!the whole thing just screams scam.but some poor unsuspecting customer of the batwest bank may beleive it and enter their details before they know it thousands of pound of debt is run up in their name.so if anybody else has had this email please be careful.

This kind of spam email is very common and you'll get them supposedly from every bank. Just delete them.

the_count
15-Jun-08, 18:09
I would have forwarded the Email to the natwest bank and let them deal with it. I'm pretty sure they would want to know of anybody attempting to break their system! :cool:

dandod
15-Jun-08, 18:10
I would have forwarded the Email to the natwest bank and let them deal with it. I'm pretty sure they would want to know of anybody attempting to break their system! :cool:

i have forwarded it onto them already.

Gizmo
15-Jun-08, 18:34
If you are stupid enough to fall for something like that then you shouldnt be allowed to have a computer, these emails are no more believable than the ones from the nice Nigerian man who keeps trying to give me millions of pounds.

_Ju_
15-Jun-08, 18:43
Gizmo, it's not a question of stupidity, but vulnerability. All of us have them, including yourself, even if they are all different.

Gizmo
15-Jun-08, 19:01
Gizmo, it's not a question of stupidity, but vulnerability. All of us have them, including yourself, even if they are all different.

Can't agree with that, it's basic computer common sense that you should never entertain emails of those nature, when you buy a car you learn to operate it correctly and safely (except if you live in Wick), the same should be done when you buy a computer, there is no excuse for falling for scams like those.

badger
16-Jun-08, 10:08

Exactly - all of us have them so why bother posting about them? As Gizmo says - if you don't know about phishing you shouldn't use email.

Cattach
16-Jun-08, 10:15
Exactly - all of us have them so why bother posting about them? As Gizmo says - if you don't know about phishing you shouldn't use email.

With my various email addresses I get about 10 of these a day from different banks. If were o post a warning everytime there would be no space fopr anyone else on the site.

dandod
16-Jun-08, 10:36
With my various email addresses I get about 10 of these a day from different banks. If were o post a warning everytime there would be no space fopr anyone else on the site.

this is the first time i have ever recieved an email like this.but next time i wont bother letting others know i would not want to take up space for other valuable posts. what a terrble thing it would be if there was no space for threads like 5 million pounds wedding. sorry to others next time i wont be warning you if you get conned too bad,i guess it is now a bad thing to look out for others.

bluelady
16-Jun-08, 11:38
I agree with you Dandod, when ever i posted a warning -and not to do with computers or Emails- ive had some smart ass comments like the ones youve recieved, and yes the org forum does get a lot of drivel on it lately. I have not accessed it for a while as it was being monoplised by certain individuals, who spend their time, putting peeps down. I thought today, Id sign on and see whats its like and lo and behind, its still the same, some people putting down others for their comments. Its ok to answer a posting, but some peeps cannae resist having a dig or putting in some derogotory spill. Same old, same old. And those peeps need not bother exercising their busy little fingers in replying with some more drivel, cos I'm not bovvered!

MadPict
16-Jun-08, 11:51
I am sure dandod had good intentions in posting this warning.
I know that a friend got what they believed was a genuine email from their bank. They were in from a long hard day and were checking their emails and foolishly, as they were so tired they didn't really think (their own admission), clicked on the link.

It's a mistake, that while sitting in the warm light of the morning, is easy to spot, but after 12 hours slogging away your defences can slip.

So yes, Dandod is just posting about common sense but I think a reminder every now and again is worthwhile.
(It's not as if they are spreading "chain pass-this-to-ten-friends emails" which by posting into the forum just helps to spread the spam)

Thumper
16-Jun-08, 12:44
I agree with dandod,Bluelady and Madpict,Dandod was just trying to make us all aware of the scam....pity help them for trying though is some peoples books eh?Why is it when people try to do good they get shot down in flames on here?So some on here are on the ball at all times and would never be "taken in" by these scammers...well bully for you,but there are some on here that may have or will have fallen for a scam like this so if dandods post stopped just one person from being scammed then well done dandod!Goodness sake as has been said repeatedly on here....if you dont like the thread just skip it,you dont have to attack the thread starter for trying to help :eyes:x

benji
16-Jun-08, 13:06
Personally I have great deal of sympathy for people who might be fooled into these scams.

I got an e-mail form the "Bank of America" asking me to logon to their website to check my details. I realised that this was a hoax as I have no account with BoA. However just for interest I clicked on the link and then in a separate browser navigated to the BoA real website.

Apart from the elongated web address from the hoax there was NOT ONE deifference between the two websites.

So I don't feel I can make sweeping statements criticising people who fall for these scams.

bekisman
16-Jun-08, 14:12
I get two or three a day, these are ones I've had in since the 2nd June.. just remember your bank won't write "dearest valued costumer" or "Dear Customer" - I think the bank knows who there are writing to!

I know it does not show where it's come from, but it's easy to see the laziness of these conmen, a quick look at return paths with 'Tesco' or 'freeserve' or a New Zealand University gives an idea they are not genuine.. I also send mine to Spamcop www.spamcop.net (http://www.spamcop.net) who scan then in a few seconds, let you know where they originated, and you simply just click and they forward them to the people concerned to deal with - it will never stop, as the list of available email addresses are unlimited, it will ease off only when folks stop getting taken in..

These are my latest..
Without opening, right click then 'Properties' then 'details'
Halifax online Banking: Return Path: nobody @ host.serverorange.com (nobody@ host.serverorange.com)
Natwest: Return-Path: <zhehei@ btconnect.com (zhehei@ btconnect.com)
Halifax: Return-Path: <wwwrun@ vz2155.evanzo-server.de (wwwrun@ vz2155.evanzo-server.de)
Natwest: Return-Path: <bnwvno@ fmail.co.uk (bnwvno@ fmail.co.uk)
Natwest: Return-Path: <uigxpy@ freeserve.co.uk (uigxpy@ freeserve.co.uk)
Royal Bank of Scotland Group: Return-Path: <httpd@ web3.floridaserver.com (httpd@ web3.floridaserver.com)>
Royal Bank of Scotland: Return-Path: <me@l ocalhost.com (me@l ocalhost.com)>
Royal Bank of Scotland group: Return-Path: <bxuvtc@ clara.co.uk (bxuvtc@ clara.co.uk)>
Royal Bank of Scotland: Return-Path: <iztsgm@ natwest.co.uk (iztsgm@ natwest.co.uk) (Natwest for RBS!?)
Natwest: Return-Path: <qkbwzi@ messagelabs.com (qkbwzi@ messagelabs.com)>
Halifax online banking: Return-Path: anonymous@ h1321721.stratoserver.net (anonymous@ h1321721.stratoserver.net)
Abbey National PLC: Return-Path: nobody@ server.dbservidores.com (nobody@ server.dbservidores.com)
Royal bank of Scotland: Return-Path: admin@ varsity.co.nz (admin@ varsity.co.nz)
Natwest:Return-Path: zqcnui@ tesco.co.uk (zqcnui@ tesco.co.uk)

teddybear1873
16-Jun-08, 15:52
Can't you smell the love in this forum?

balto
16-Jun-08, 16:22
Can't you smell the love in this forum?
it is pathetic, that certain members find reason to pick an argument or the slightest thing, all this kind orger was doing is warning the rest of us about these emails, which is very nice in my eyes, i also recieved a similar one today from the halifax, knew straight away this was dodgy as i dont even have an account with them so i just sent it straight to the spam folder on my email.

Kevin Milkins
16-Jun-08, 16:48
How come I dont get these emails?
What am doing wrong?lol
If anybody is dull enough to to open one of these emails, I am your man.
Thanks for the warning maty.

Fluff
16-Jun-08, 16:48
it is only common sense if you know it

it may seem obvious to some people or to those who use the internet everyday but there are still lots of people out there who have never/barely used the internet.

teddybear1873
16-Jun-08, 17:31
it is pathetic, that certain members find reason to pick an argument or the slightest thing, all this kind orger was doing is warning the rest of us about these emails, which is very nice in my eyes, i also recieved a similar one today from the halifax, knew straight away this was dodgy as i dont even have an account with them so i just sent it straight to the spam folder on my email.

Totally agree with you balto, but you know some of the orgers on here are power hungry. They can't help how they are.

George Brims
16-Jun-08, 18:37
I got an e-mail form the "Bank of America" asking me to logon to their website to check my details. I realised that this was a hoax as I have no account with BoA. However just for interest I clicked on the link and then in a separate browser navigated to the BoA real website.

Apart from the elongated web address from the hoax there was NOT ONE deifference between the two websites.

I *am* a customer of BofA. For some reason the people writing these phishing emails are doing a much better job imitating their genuine emails than those targeted at other banks' customers. Most phishing emails contain misspelling, odd syntax, or other clues, aside from the fact they ask you to provide information you wouldn't be asked for normally. I wrote to BofA telling them they ought to make it more difficult for people to grab their logos etc off the site, but they wrote back and said that although they would like to do that, it would be shutting the stable door when the horse is long gone down the road!

BTW Benji, I hope you have good virus scanning and spyware protection on your machine, as these faked sites often contain nasty surprises for those who click on them. Run a scan with both, just in case you picked up something.

benji
16-Jun-08, 20:20
BTW Benji, I hope you have good virus scanning and spyware protection on your machine, as these faked sites often contain nasty surprises for those who click on them. Run a scan with both, just in case you picked up something.

Don't worry I used works computer!!!!!! Would never think of doing something like that on my own pc

badger
16-Jun-08, 20:51
I know my response to this was a bit snappy but it really does worry me that so many people go on the internet without knowing enough about the dangers. Phishing has been around for years, it has been warned about in the media endlessly and it really worried me that dandod seemed not to know that these emails are appearing in people's inboxes all the time. The internet is a very dangerous place these days, in fact anything that involves communication online can be pretty dangerous.

When I first had internet access the web was quite innocent but it isn't now and anyone using it needs to know a bit about what goes on out there. It's not difficult to learn a few basic rules like not opening emails if you don't recognise the sender; never following links that say they will take you to your account if it's going to involve entering any personal details; make sure you have a really good anti-virus, firewall, spyware etc.

I don't understand why parents allow their children to have computers in their rooms with Internet access and don't keep a check on them and make sure they have controls; or worse, the parents themselves don't understand about chat rooms etc.

There have been so many posts about phishing emails on here that my first reaction was - not another one, surely everyone knows about these things? Maybe not.

bekisman
17-Jun-08, 09:44
Just been on to our First Direct on-line account, notice they are being more proactive:

"To assist you in checking the validity of emails we send to you, we will display the last 3 digits of your postcode (in the important notes section). If these digits are missing or incorrect, the email is not from first direct. "

So it all helps...

Angela
17-Jun-08, 10:41
There seem to be problems with msn right now. Last night I got an instant message from my daughter (delivered when I was offline and waiting for me when I signed back in) saying 'I'm so pleased with my new mobile phone....I'm sharing this with you...' with a link to a site i didn't know.

I'm normally so careful about clicking on links

BUT....

this was from my daughter, I knew she was was looking for a new mobile, it was late, I was tired and doing several things at the same time and I didn't stop to think it was odd her message didn't start with the usual 'Hi Mum':eek:

So I clicked on the link, which took me to a (harmless looking) site I didn't know and that didn't seem relevant at all.

I heard this morning from my daughter that msn had been wreaking havoc on all their office computers overnight!

I don't think there's been any harm done luckily, but it goes to show how sometimes even people who're well aware of the potential dangers of the internet can just let their guard down for that vital moment! :roll:

Munro
17-Jun-08, 11:58
Another scam to look out for is guys selling plasma tv's from the back of a silver van, not that anyone is stupid enough to buy one that way

Kevin Milkins
17-Jun-08, 16:42
Another scam to look out for is guys selling plasma tv's from the back of a silver van, not that anyone is stupid enough to do that.

I read that several times and did not quite get that.
Is it me?

balto
17-Jun-08, 20:42
hey look what i have recieved in my email yet again

Dear Halifax Banking Member,

Due to the high number of fraud attempts and phishing scams, it has been decided to implement EV
SSL Certification on this Internet Banking website.

The use of EV SSL certification works with high security Web browsers to clearly identify whether
the site belongs to the company or is another site imitating that company's site.

It has been introduced to protect our clients against phishing and other online fraudulent activities.
Since most Internet related crimes rely on false identity, Halifax went through a rigorous validation
process that meets the Extended Validation guidelines.

Please update your account to the new EV SSL certification by Clicking here (http://www.paradasp.org.br/images/formslogin.html).

You are strictly advised to login into your Halifax account using the above link.
Your Halifax account will automatically be added to our recent internet banking security system.

(Failure to verify your account details correctly will lead to account suspension)

<FONT color=#808080><FONT style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt" face="Trebuchet MS">Thank you.

MadPict
17-Jun-08, 21:46
Might be an idea to disable the links...

Gizmo
17-Jun-08, 22:56
I read that several times and did not quite get that.
Is it me?

No, it's a dig at me, pretty pointless though and totally irrelevant to this subject as i knew exactly what i was doing and the assosiated risks involved, and i only went ahead with it after a friend and local business man told me the guy in question was legit, a foolish and costly decision it turned out to be.

AfternoonDelight
18-Jun-08, 14:59
Another scam to look out for is guys selling plasma tv's from the back of a silver van, not that anyone is stupid enough to buy one that way

PMSL :lol: Are you sure it wasn't a yellow van with three wheels..???

Seriously though - I'm trying to set up internet banking at the moment but kepp getting phishing scams at the same time. I don't know which are real and which are fake. I think I'll stick to the phone... :~(

Kevin Milkins
18-Jun-08, 15:21
PMSL :lol: Are you sure it wasn't a yellow van with three wheels..???

Seriously though - I'm trying to set up internet banking at the moment but kepp getting phishing scams at the same time. I don't know which are real and which are fake. I think I'll stick to the phone... :~(

I was very much a traditional type when it came to banking and when banks started closing braches and we had to phone india for a balance I started to loose the will to live.
I never thought for one moment that I would ever get a computer ,let alone do my banking on it.
9 years on and times have changed and the thought of going to a bank now makes me cringe.
I may be one of the lucky ones ,but I do not know how I would cope now without internet banking.

AfternoonDelight
18-Jun-08, 15:41
Considering my bank is in Glasgow I would be ed without phone banking!! :D