PDA

View Full Version : Meeting famous people

Moi x
15-Jun-08, 03:32
I met J K Rowling earlier tonight. I liked her.

Have you met anyone famous and if so did you like them?

Moi x

johnlc
15-Jun-08, 06:40
Ok well this person aint in the limelight now but remember vinnie from home and away,well i met him in universal studios in orlando bout 7 years ago and yes he was nice,also bout 4 years ago i met ashley cotton from eastenders in gatwick,never spoke to him tho,just gave a smile and he did back then walked different directions:)

brokencross
15-Jun-08, 08:13
Had a glass of wine with Mike Oldfield of "Tubular Bells" fame. It was after he had done a fantastic concert at Wembley Arena. My friends sister knew his girlfriend and got us backstage to the dressing rooms. Really nice bloke and very talented. Have got a few more but will wait and post them in dribs and drabs

neepnipper
15-Jun-08, 08:22
In the bakers where I was manager in a little village on Dartmoor Jennifer Saunders and Ade Edmondson used to come in quite often, they lived just outside the village, she was always quiet but it made me lauge once when she came in with one of her daughters and bought some iced buns, her daughter said ' arn't you having one mum, are you on a diet again!'
Rolf Harris came in once, really tall and he was wearing paint splattered boots and Edward Woodward, his wife, Michelle Dotrice stayed in the car outside. You could often see Noel Edmonds in the local pub, he lived not far away and Ben Elton.

Used to work for the production company that made 'Monarch of the Glen' so met all the cast, Tom Baker was quite a lovey, Susan Hampsire was really nice, most of them were ok.

Was on an antique quiz show on tv a few years ago and met Eric Knowles, he suprised me by saying 'what's the point of buying a load of antiques when you're just going to die and leave it all behind', maybe he was having a bad day!

hotrod4
15-Jun-08, 08:35
I am not sure if this is the same but I used to be in the army with a guy called Wayne Vincent.
His brother was Stevie Vincent who had a hit with a song called "dirty cash". Not quite the same I know but almost!!.
Spoke to Helena bonham-carter on the phone when she had a fault with her line.It turned out her phone was kaput but she was very rude and demanded that she couldnt have caused the fault as she wasnt "stupid". Didnt take to her at all, very uppity.

A colleague of mine spoke on the phone to a Mr Elvis Aaron Presley, who lived at Gracelands. The only thing was this was 2005! It was a guy who changed his name to Elvis and his house name, he even spoke like Elvis, and when the call was finished he said "thank you very much" in an Elvis accent, hilarious :)

brokencross
15-Jun-08, 09:08
A colleague of mine spoke on the phone to a Mr Elvis Aaron Presley, who lived at Gracelands. The only thing was this was 2005! It was a guy who changed his name to Elvis and his house name, he even spoke like Elvis, and when the call was finished he said "thank you very much" in an Elvis accent, hilarious :)

A classic!

tigger2u
15-Jun-08, 10:12
I met Kim Wilde at the Glasgow Garden Festival (1988) We were on the Sat morning kids show, can't remember the name of it but it was the one with Gilbert the alien lol. Kim was just gorgeous.:lol:

I also got to compete, in a Local Heroes contest at the same place, beside the man mountains John Paul Sigmarsson and Bill Kazmier. They guys were HUGEEEEEEEEE but very nice guys

I have some more to add later lol or should I admit being on The Glen Michael Calvacade ? lmao[lol]

Lord Flasheart
15-Jun-08, 10:48
I met Colin Macrae and found him a genuine down to earth bloke, great talent and a personality even bigger. A long term idol of mine and I genuinely mourned his passing.

Also met Rachel Stevens and she is just sex on legs, I wanted to keep her. I asked for her phone number but never got it. But if you dont ask right ?? .. What makes a great woman ??, Rachel Stevens parents.

Kenn
15-Jun-08, 10:50
Tha late Adam Faith was always my favourite, he exuded boyish charm and always had time for every one.
The Who, bunch of total nutters in their early years.
Lawrence Olivier was always very aloof and difficult to approach.
Dora Bryan or "Dotty Dora," as she is known locally, always ready for a chat as she shuffled along in her carpet slippers.
Vera Lynn charm personified.
John Williams, just another pupil at my school he and his family were always welsoming especially if you had an interest in monkeys or music.
Most of the others fall into the "Take it or leave it" bracket.

northener
15-Jun-08, 10:51
We were alongside in Antigua in the late 70's and met James Coburn in a local bar. Had a beer with him, very nice bloke and very laid back.

He seemed to appreciate the fact that we didn't treat him any different to anyone else. Just had a general chat about swimmin', wimmin and beer:D

Also met a ....er...'gentleman' called Mr Cinelli in New Jersey who owned a few nightclubs and gambling clubs. He had us whisked off to his best club, left his restaurant and bar staff at our disposal and took us all home in one of his courtesy limos' at the end of the night.
All he asked was if he could come on board the next day for a beer and have a bit of a tour round the ship.

You should have seen the look on the American dockers faces when two Caddies pulled up to the gangway the next day. One of the dockers shot across to me and hissed "You do know who that is, don't you?"

My mate replied "Well I think I can guess....Would he be Family by any chance?"

Not exactly famous over here, but he appeared to be well known around new Jersey

zappster
15-Jun-08, 10:51
Ive met loadsa heavy metal/ rock stars over the years...Iron maiden,Metallica,megadeth,black sabbath,anthrax,slayer ,steve vai,Joe Satriani,zakk wylde & loads more obscure bands that you probably would never have heard of!

pat
15-Jun-08, 11:00
Princess Margaret -

first time was inspecting a group of service personnel - did not speak or look at anyone, including the senior offices taking her around, all she wanted was to escape to have a fag and a gin and tonic.

Second time at a dinner, she was guest of honour - at those functions you wait until the main guest has lifted cutlery before anyone else starts eating or drinking, only pm sat there chain smoking and drinking, did not pick up cutlery or attempt to eat any of the courses - the host finally started eating, everyone else followed suit (about 250) and the meal continued to be served as normal, with PM sitting throwing the drinks back and chain smoking, PM reported the host for not following procedure, he was sidelined and never promoted again.

I always used to think of her as pd (if anyone asked what I meant, I said peedie - as in small in Orkney) but what I really mean was pd as in poison dwarf - I got a surprise at how small she was, I was 5'4" but she appeared a midget, so pd was appropriate!

moncur
15-Jun-08, 11:12
Myself and The_big_mac met several famous people in the Heavy Metal world at Download Festival last year. Members of Papa Roach, Machine Head, My Vitriol, Bowling for Soup, Chimaira. Think we would both say that Dave Maclean and Phil Demmel from Machine Head are genuinely the nicest guys in rock. Spoke to them for about an hour one night and even the next day they stopped to say hi.

ANNIE
15-Jun-08, 11:20
I've met fran cosgrave, steve and charlie from corrie and princess anne. Hers a photo of my daughter with fran
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5480/julieandfranbj0.jpg

joxville
15-Jun-08, 11:32
I used to be a DJ in Glasgow area, met a few well known,(in that area), Radio Clyde DJ's. Through working in entertainment I also met Celtic FC many times over 6 years,a great bunch of guys (unfortunately I am Rangers fan lol), Wet Wet Wet and Simple Minds. I got bored with it so it was time to exit, stage left.

Down here in Englandshire I've met David Coulthard, Michelle Marsh, Lucy Pinder and Princess Diana. Michelle Marsh is stunning,like a doll come to life but sadly I wasn't allowed to take her home. Diana, truly beautiful, never spoke to her but definitely a captivating presence.

When I become famous I'll remember you lovely .orger's.

Lord Flasheart
15-Jun-08, 12:02
Hang on I AM famous !! .. Squadron Commander the Lord Flasheart .. ;) .. just look at my face .. pefection in the shape of a man.

I am willing to hold an autograph session for female orgers. PM me with your height, hair colour, eye colour, measurements, and general description and I will notify you of your five minute audience in the pub. Short skirts mandatory, webbing optional (but preferred) and mines a Guiness and Jack Daniels girls (with ice)

As there are so many girls and only one Flash .. book early .. Woof Woof !!

Lolabelle
15-Jun-08, 12:09
I have met a few Australian 'lebrities, but the only one anyone over there may know is Rachel Hunter, was married to Rod Stewart. She is a friend from Church's neice.

DeHaviLand
15-Jun-08, 12:29
Back in the 80's when I worked in London, I used to drink with Arthur Mullard in a pub called The Angel, in Islington. Now I know most of you are going "who?". Ask your parents. A really funny man, just catch his duet of "You're the one that I want" with Hylda Baker.

rambo1978
15-Jun-08, 12:53
I was fortunate enough to meet Ray Manzarek, Robbie Krieger and Ian Astbury about 2 years ago in Glasgow, had a golden ticket to see Doors of the 21st Century, meet and greet and a nice buffet, the guys were very nice and it was an amazing night. Absolute legends and fond memories of that night.

superted
15-Jun-08, 12:54
I played Golf with Eddie the Eagle once, dont know if he counts as famous??

peter macdonald
15-Jun-08, 13:19
I met Dennis Healey Tony Benn Norman Tebbitt all of whom were charming Mr Tebbitt had a tremendous sense of humour ,you could sit all night and listen to both Dennis Healey and Tony Benn I also spoke briefly to Dr Ian Paisley about 20 years ago ,just a pity it was so short a time ..he had a great presence about him
Sporting guys Jock Stein Tommy Docherty Dennis Law Paul Pierce of Boston Celtics (see the NBA finals just now if you have never heard of him) all seemed genuine down to earth guys
Music James Taylor ...as nice a bloke as you could ever meet ..Carly Simon ......no comment
they were at a party I was invited to in the late 70s ..you could never have met two more different people
PM

northener
15-Jun-08, 13:44
I met Dennis Healey Tony Benn Norman Tebbitt all of whom were charming Mr Tebbitt had a tremendous sense of humour ,you could sit all night and listen to both Dennis Healey and Tony Benn I also spoke briefly to Dr Ian Paisley about 20 years ago ,just a pity it was so short a time ..he had a great presence about him PM........

Isn't it odd that regardless of political leanings, the truly larger than life political figures all come across as decent people when you get talking to them?

jean
15-Jun-08, 13:57
anna friel she was visiting with her Bf who at that time had local conections, his dad was a film producer. anyhoo she partied with us all in the pub and we all went back to theirs after. she was v nice and normal. also met gregor fisher, mark macmanus and some other actors as well who Ive forgotton their names. they also came up with the producer chap to get away from it all in the highlands. once they even helped take the peats in!

percy toboggan
15-Jun-08, 14:02
Sir Matt Busby once asked me to 'move your car'...
it wasn't mine...otherwise I might have done.

peter macdonald
15-Jun-08, 14:19
Northerner Its funny as the guy I have least in common with was Doctor Paisley and it would have wonderful to have gotten past the "nice to meet you "bit but time would not allow He also had a heck of a handshake !!! Amazing presence though and its said a brilliant sense of humour Pity I never got the chance to experience it
PM

joxville
15-Jun-08, 14:25
I jsut remembered, I went to school with Douglas Henshall, star of Primeval and Christine McGourty, reporter for BBC TV news.

Kevin Milkins
15-Jun-08, 14:54
I met J K Rowling earlier tonight. I liked her.

Have you met anyone famous and if so did you like them?

Moi x

J K Rowling was brought up in a cottage next to the church in Tutshill Chepstow.
I lived just up the road in Woodcroft at the time and just remember her as a young girl.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/01_10_29.jpg

joxville
15-Jun-08, 14:58
J K Rowling was brought up in a cottage next to the church in Tutshill Chepstow.
I lived just up the road in Woodcroft at the time and just remember her as a young girl.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/01_10_29.jpg

Look at the name of the vicar-what else could he have been with a name like that?:D:D

Andrew C
15-Jun-08, 15:22
I met Anthony Head in a lift in Bath. I met Davina McCall at Crewe train station. Met Richard Wilson at Glasgow University. Met Chris Tarrant at Alton Towers.

Used to bump into Justin Lee Collins frequently in Bristol.

Rosanna Davidson (Miss World 2003) and her father, Chris de Burgh, stopped to chat as I was collecting for The Salvation Army on Oxford Street in London.

I met Shaun the weather bloke outside Borders in Glasgow. I've met Sally Magnusson and various other newscasters when collecting for the Salvation Army on Buchanan Street in Glasgow.

I've met Mrs Mack from Take the High Road!

I was in the queue behind Jenny Eclair and had a blether at our local Sainsbury's when I lived in London. Used to live round the corner from Jeremy Bowen (BBC journalist) in London.

My wife has met Prince Philip when she got her Gold Duke of Edinburgh Award. She said he cracking jokes about women and bumper stickers!

tigger2u
15-Jun-08, 15:59
I met and played basketball with one of my heroes Daly Thomson in the mid 90's and got pics took of that. We were promoting a Streetball 3x3 competition in Glasgow Green.

Great guy to talk to and a good laugh.

cazmanian_minx
15-Jun-08, 19:48
Trinny and Susannah - Susannah only briefly, but I spent half a day with Trinny being filmed for Undress the Nation and she was absolutely lovely.

I used to work for HMV and before I got sick of customers and moved to head office, I met Alan Rickman (swoon!), Stephen Hawking, Germaine Greer, Simon Rattle, Cecilia Bartoli, John Peel and Simon Callow. I was tucked away in the classical department, the main floor used to get loads of celebs shopping there plus the scheduled personal appearances. Best line ever, when I was working in the Store IT Support department - an IBM engineer rang me to say "I can't fix that broken netstation at the moment, Madonna's using the office as a changing room!"

northener
15-Jun-08, 20:09
I was lucky enough to be part of the safety and camera boat crew for Kate Silverton when she was up here last year filming her kayak crossing of the Pentland firth.

One very lovely and charming woman.

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Jun-08, 01:12
Dowpy Dan - legend.

theone
16-Jun-08, 01:38
Brian May from Queen. He drank a beer of mine at the eclipse in Talmine a few years ago.

Absolute Gent.

I also met Sir? Patrick Moore that night. He never drank my beer.

Anne x
16-Jun-08, 01:40
That be the eclipse they never saw !!! both Legends and huge fans of each other but Brian May in awe of Patrick and no wonder

theone
16-Jun-08, 02:05
That be the eclipse they never saw !!! both Legends and huge fans of each other but Brian May in awe of Patrick and no wonder

I beg to differ. The "ring" eclipse could only be seen on infra-red through the clouds (which we saw on the BBC monitors) but I'm sure you'll agree in this photo "We saw the eclipse"

Incidentally that's the big man's hair in the bottom of the photo!

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/2030/eclipse020epv1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

JamesMcVean
16-Jun-08, 05:37
I have been onstage with Ozzy Osbourne during the "No More Tears" Tour in the early 90's...Me and a few pals had front row tickets for the Edinburgh Playhouse...During "Paranoid" Ozzy got a bit "Emotional" and asked for people to sing it with him LOL we did...great days

Also met and drank Coffee with MANOWAR in 95 in Milton Keynes...lol (Rock n Roll![evil])

And various other Metal stars during the 80-00's...

Oh aye and met Vannessa Feltz in London Recently..she was nice...What a contrast LOL

James

Sporran
16-Jun-08, 07:04
I almost met Doctor Who, back in early 1978. He and I were at the American Embassy in London, getting our visas to go to the USA. Several Doctor Who characters, including Daleks, space aliens and monsters were there. And it was the fourth Doctor Who, Tom Baker, who just happened to be my fave one, back then. Actually, it was a publicity stunt for Doctor and Co., as the series was about to be launched in the States for the first time. Several embassy employees went up to Tom after the TV and photo shoot, and got his autograph and chatted to him for a few minutes. But silly young me was too shy at the time, so I just sat there and watched. I kicked myself afterwards for not approaching him, of course! If I'd been a few years older and bolder, I would have.

Perhaps I'll get my chance in another dimension...... ;)