PDA

View Full Version : What is it? laziness, shyness, not bothered?

bekisman
14-Jun-08, 19:42
I'm talking about reporting things such as when the water or TV goes down. A few years ago the TV signal (from Melvich transmitter) would go down, we'd wait then look up the number of Grampian TV, get through to the Engineer and tell them - trouble was as no one else had contacted them, they would inform us that as that transmitter was not monitored they would have to wait till someone else did - and quite often this would be days!

In the end we became 'reporters' and were given a direct freephone number.

Today it's the mains water; turned the tap on at 6pm and just a dribble.. rang the water-board to tell them, they ask if there is any 'activity' in the street 'Street!' we're out in the sticks here mate.. I'm informed no other reports have been received but it will be passed on to the team and somebody 'should' be out tonight. 'Should!' - it would blinking well help if other folk around here picked up the 'phone and reported it.. is it laziness? is it shyness? or just can't be bloody bothered; someone else will do it for 'em.

I know when we were away on holiday, the water went down and it took over a day of dry taps before some 'brave' soul picked the phone up! Just one of those things...

Tugmistress
14-Jun-08, 20:09
I will pick up the phone, not for telly as i don't watch it, but i will for the water, though quite often it seems like it's only me affected! Most people you speak to have no idea of the geography of our area, and as i am at the end of the telephone, water and electricity line it's hard to explain sometimes as i am also about 100ft above everyone else on the (water) line and am not pump fed but just fed by gravity.
I know how you feel lol
must admit that the last time i had a problem with the water, i explained where i am and the nice mannie at the end of the phone got someone out to me within about 2 hours with a heap load of bottled water.

Countryman
14-Jun-08, 20:21
I seem have a similar problem, Hyro electric - our electric is off - have you checked your fuse box as no one else have reported a fault. On many occaisons we are told it must be our line maybe a bird has hit the lines or the cattle have disturbed a pole. So it goes on, in end yes the villkage is out there is a fault but no one else has phoned.

bekisman
14-Jun-08, 22:35
Seems I'm not the only one..

Just checked with Scottish Water at 22.30 and the recorded message tells me that a main pump has failed and Melvich and Strathy are without water, 'Engineers are working on it'...

It's a damn pity that none of the 500 good souls in Melvich/Strathy reported loss of water (most are lower than we are) earlier, at least it would have got fixed sooner.. but there you are, the philosophy of 'ah, someone else will do it, as after all it's on 0845 number and I'm not paying 5p'..

Sad

Geo
14-Jun-08, 22:41
It's the opposite for me. Any time I phone up to report a fault they say "yes we've had a number of reports in your area."

Kevin Milkins
14-Jun-08, 22:41
I would guess that most people think like me.
If the water has gone off sombody has bound to report it so whats the point of blocking up the phone line.:confused

bekisman
14-Jun-08, 22:54
"If the water has gone off sombody has bound to report it so whats the point of blocking up the phone line"

Oh I understand the psyche now, although I expect even up here the switchboard can handle it -hopefully the string and tin can won't get too rusty.. Ah what's that I hear? the sound of a filling cistern! wonderfull.. I've done my duty again

DeHaviLand
15-Jun-08, 00:32
"If the water has gone off sombody has bound to report it so whats the point of blocking up the phone line"

Oh I understand the psyche now, although I expect even up here the switchboard can handle it -hopefully the string and tin can won't get too rusty.. Ah what's that I hear? the sound of a filling cistern! wonderfull.. I've done my duty again

Dont you just love the delightful hint of sarcasm in this post. Positive rep on its way ;)[lol]

Kevin Milkins
15-Jun-08, 00:51
Dont you just love the delightful hint of sarcasm in this post. Positive rep on its way ;)[lol]

You got there before me.lol

bekisman
15-Jun-08, 08:47
thanks chaps