PDA

View Full Version : sideshows safety

grumpy1
14-Jun-08, 17:44
im not one to object as i love a good side show as much as the next person, but i was absolutely mortified to hear about the young girls that were thrown from a ride because they wern't bolted in properly as the attendant was too busy chatting, thus resulting in one of the girls having a broken wrist..the ride was closed for the rest of the night but surely you would think a proper investigation should be called for as this could have been a lot worse..

johnlc
14-Jun-08, 18:11
That is awful,well i dnt think that i would go near it if that happened,i always am a bit scared when going on rides,i make sure that they put me in proper.Especially when iwas on the bunjee ball in t in the park last year,but i must say tho that they do tie u in well as they strap u in twice and i felt really secure.But that is awful tho about that girls.

Sapphire2803
14-Jun-08, 18:13
Where and when was this? I haven't heard anything about it? Is this the side shows in Thurso?

grumpy1
14-Jun-08, 18:30
yes this happened last night..they closed the ride called an ambulance for the girl with the broken wrist..but its all reopened again today..shocking

telfordstar
14-Jun-08, 20:01
yes this happened last night..they closed the ride called an ambulance for the girl with the broken wrist..but its all reopened again today..shocking

Omg that is shocking and to think that we pay our hard earned money for our kids to have a bit of fun and expect it to be safley done as well aft that not a chance will i let any of mine there they can wait to the black isle show and get on some " decent " rides which have been properly set up and supervised.

Tighsonas4
14-Jun-08, 20:07
if they are in thurso keep them there.
surely these things must come under some form of safety sstructure
you cant have kids on something thats unsafe. tony

COACHMAN
14-Jun-08, 20:15
If this is the case the Police should of be called,and they have power to call the H&S Exc in to look at the ride.

domino
14-Jun-08, 20:19
I was led to believe that the Health and safety folk investigated accidents of that type

rfr10
14-Jun-08, 20:45
This I expect-

http://www.hse.gov.uk/riddor/index.htm

telfordstar
14-Jun-08, 20:53
I hope it does get investigated i mist admit last time few years ago i was watching that umbrella thingy going around it was wobbling about and making strange noises i stayed well clear just incase.

rfr10
14-Jun-08, 20:57
I hope it does get investigated i mist admit last time few years ago i was watching that umbrella thingy going around it was wobbling about and making strange noises i stayed well clear just incase.

I was on the "umbrella thingy" once when it was making that noise, the thing was rusty and it wasn't very pleasant. Lucky it didn't break or we'd have a long distance to go!

mums angels
14-Jun-08, 21:10
I wouldn't let my daughter go this year as last year i took two of my kids along with a friend and his daughter and i had to climb on a ride to insist they stop it as my son was coming off it and couldn't reposition himself ..i was pertrifired he was going to fly out of his seat and the guy didn't even care and kept pushing them .. thankfully i got the operators attention and made them stop it ... they had no regards to saftey.

However i did hear that there was a teenage girl standing on one of the rides last night instead of sitting and the attendants didn't say anything to her either

telfordstar
14-Jun-08, 21:13
Its probablay a case of once theve got your money they couldnt give a damn.

telfordstar
14-Jun-08, 21:15
I was on the "umbrella thingy" once when it was making that noise, the thing was rusty and it wasn't very pleasant. Lucky it didn't break or we'd have a long distance to go!
Ohh rather you than me :D

Lou18
16-Jun-08, 20:14
Ok, as an employee with the shows, let me clarify a few bits and pieces... this story is absolutely NOT TRUE!! Nobody fell off any of the rides, and at no point were we closed down or an ambulance called. If you would like further clarification please phone the police or ambulance service who i'm sure will be more than happy to confirm.

Sorry if I sound blunt it just doesn't seem right that people can make up these stories purely for scaremongering... and just to clarify another rumour I heard today - the heartbreaker was not shut down yesterday - it had moved to another place yesterday to open at an event!

Lou18
16-Jun-08, 20:30
Before I log off I just want to be clear, grumpy1 - I was not making a personal attack on your post as I realise you are just concerned over something you've heard. Also, all machines are covered by all necessary insurances and are safety tested by the appropriate body every year.

As a Thurso local myself I travel to alot of places with the funfair and I find it quite disheartening that my hometown is the only place I come across this kind of negative attitude towards the shows. At the end of the day we're just another family trying to make a living.

liz19
16-Jun-08, 20:42

My son and his friends were there the other night and he was wearing a brand new top which got covered in rust!!! Totally ruined!! and i too worry when they go on the rids coz i never feel there very safe scary to think - they must get checked out though

rfr10
16-Jun-08, 20:44
Try and get them to cut their prices aswell ;)

northener
16-Jun-08, 21:04
Christ, you lot want to listen to yourselves.

Squeaking noises, unsubstantiated tales about injuries, rust marks on clothing?

Yet no doubt you'll all be there putting your sprogs on the rides. Once they've left, no doubt we'll have to endure another flurry of gripping tales about how bad it all really was.

Is this a case of 'them outsiders come to steal our babies' or are you all just mindless village gossips? Because I cannot see a third reason being put forward amongst those who are criticising the travelling show.

As has been more politely put forward by people on this thread: Inform HSE if you're not happy OR stay away if you're not happy. Don't witter on with unsubstantiated gossip or brainless whingeing on a subject that will have a very real effect on peoples livelihood.

Perhaps you all ought to buy a copy of 'The Worlds' Fair' - the paper for the Showmen - you may have a little more understanding of what's involved afterwards

Or move to Royston Vasey.

quirbal
16-Jun-08, 21:45

Welcome to Wick - You'll Never Leave!

Cattach
16-Jun-08, 22:11
Ok, as an employee with the shows, let me clarify a few bits and pieces... this story is absolutely NOT TRUE!! Nobody fell off any of the rides, and at no point were we closed down or an ambulance called. If you would like further clarification please phone the police or ambulance service who i'm sure will be more than happy to confirm.

Sorry if I sound blunt it just doesn't seem right that people can make up these stories purely for scaremongering... and just to clarify another rumour I heard today - the heartbreaker was not shut down yesterday - it had moved to another place yesterday to open at an event!

My comment does not relate to the upposed accident but because as an employee you have come onto the site. I live some distance to the South East in Thurso from the shows. On the Wednesday and Thursday nights last week the noise was horendous. I had to close all my windows and I still could hear the noise along with my TV on loud. In all my years in this house I have never heard a noise from the shows until then. The music was bad enough but some idiot was on a microphone bawling out rubbish and shouting uggie, uggie uggie so loud I am surprised you did not hear him in Wick.

Moby
17-Jun-08, 08:11
I wouldn't let my daughter go this year as last year i took two of my kids along with a friend and his daughter and i had to climb on a ride to insist they stop it as my son was coming off it and couldn't reposition himself ..i was pertrifired he was going to fly out of his seat and the guy didn't even care and kept pushing them .. thankfully i got the operators attention and made them stop it ... they had no regards to saftey.

I have to pipe up here to say that I was very impressed with the operators of the waltzers. My son wanted a go on them and because he is still quite little I went on with him (urghhh!). When the lad came to take our money I asked him to go a wee bit canny as I was not sure if my son would be a bit scared. The lad immediately told the other operator and pointed us out. They both checked with me prior to pushing us to make sure it was OK. 10/10 to them. My son had a great time and was grinning from ear to ear - only problem is he wants to go back!

What a job the sideshow staff have - they take some amount of abuse from our "wee darlings" who are there by themselves.

Solus
17-Jun-08, 11:17
From alleged broken wrists it moved onto music to loud ,and then gosh shock horror a kid came home dirty !

Come on folks, :roll:
Cattach, if its to loud did you ever think of calling the local authority to see if they are within permitted levels ?

As for kids coming home dirty, unfortunate but it happens, maybe not rust but mud or a torn top or trousers, its all one.

These places are never ideal and never have been cheap, but its somewhere different to take the kids of an evening, even for a short while.

mums angels
17-Jun-08, 11:27
I have to pipe up here to say that I was very impressed with the operators of the waltzers. My son wanted a go on them and because he is still quite little I went on with him (urghhh!). When the lad came to take our money I asked him to go a wee bit canny as I was not sure if my son would be a bit scared. The lad immediately told the other operator and pointed us out. They both checked with me prior to pushing us to make sure it was OK. 10/10 to them. My son had a great time and was grinning from ear to ear - only problem is he wants to go back!

What a job the sideshow staff have - they take some amount of abuse from our "wee darlings" who are there by themselves.

Ok the ride i was refering to was not the waltzers he went on them fine it was another ride that they went round and round on .....

Cattach
17-Jun-08, 12:56
From alleged broken wrists it moved onto music to loud ,and then gosh shock horror a kid came home dirty !

Cattach, if its to loud did you ever think of calling the local authority to see if they are within permitted levels ?

As for kids coming home dirty, unfortunate but it happens, maybe not rust but mud or a torn top or trousers, its all one.

These places are never ideal and never have been cheap, but its somewhere different to take the kids of an evening, even for a short while.

I did. And it certainly quietened down!! But I did not claim the credit in my posting as I cannot be sure my complaint did the trick. However, the fact remains they were totally out of order on at least the first two nights and two children in the house next door could not get to sleep.
It is a pity Solus that we cannot air a grievance in a posting and if you cannot take the multi-grievance appraoch then hard luck on you. If we were to keep all postings to the exact starting topic we would hardly have a Forum at all!

Lou18
17-Jun-08, 15:19
The music was bad enough but some idiot was on a microphone bawling out rubbish and shouting uggie, uggie uggie so loud I am surprised you did not hear him in Wick.

I only came on the site to straighten out the rumours, but if you have any problems with music etc please come down and see us and i'm sure we can work something out, we're happy to help and are totally approachable, I promise! :)

My only problem with your posting if your use of the term 'idiot'. There is a possibility (as there is more than one person on the mic) that the 'idiot' your referring to is my fiance and as I didn't come on here insulting anyone or name-calling I would appreciate if you could do the same.

balto
17-Jun-08, 15:26
I only came on the site to straighten out the rumours, but if you have any problems with music etc please come down and see us and i'm sure we can work something out, we're happy to help and are totally approachable, I promise! :)

My only problem with your posting if your use of the term 'idiot'. There is a possibility (as there is more than one person on the mic) that the 'idiot' your referring to is my fiance and as I didn't come on here insulting anyone or name-calling I would appreciate if you could do the same.
she didnt refer to anyone by name, so you are just being picky, i wont let my kids down there, as i can think of better things to do with my money, roll the day they leave thurso, mayby the sun will come back out then.

Solus
17-Jun-08, 15:42
Sighs, sums it all up really dont it !

floyed
17-Jun-08, 16:04
My son and his friends were there the other night and he was wearing a brand new top which got covered in rust!!! Totally ruined!! and i too worry when they go on the rids coz i never feel there very safe scary to think - they must get checked out though

O My God!!!! Front page news a new top with rust on, how ever will he cope:lol: LOL sorry but that got me laughing.

I mean come on, my son goes out the whole time and comes back in with dirty tops, trousers ect. I think it's suppose to mean that maybe he was having fun!

floyed
17-Jun-08, 16:05

Totally agree with you:D

angela5
17-Jun-08, 18:09
roll the day they leave thurso, mayby the sun will come back out then.

Roflmao [lol][lol]

footie chick
17-Jun-08, 19:59
O My God!!!! Front page news a new top with rust on, how ever will he cope:lol: LOL sorry but that got me laughing.

I mean come on, my son goes out the whole time and comes back in with dirty tops, trousers ect. I think it's suppose to mean that maybe he was having fun!

Are you sure kids are allowed to have FUN anymore? :roll:

Tubthumper
17-Jun-08, 20:18
im not one to object as i love a good side show as much as the next person, but i was absolutely mortified to hear about the young girls that were thrown from a ride because they wern't bolted in properly as the attendant was too busy chatting, thus resulting in one of the girls having a broken wrist..the ride was closed for the rest of the night but surely you would think a proper investigation should be called for as this could have been a lot worse..
Looks like you heard wrong. Anything to say grumpy1?

Venture
17-Jun-08, 20:19
Are you sure kids are allowed to have FUN anymore? :roll:

I think a lot of adults on here have forgotten the phrase "The Fun of the Fair" and who its really aimed at.

liz19
17-Jun-08, 20:59
Christ, you lot want to listen to yourselves.

Squeaking noises, unsubstantiated tales about injuries, rust marks on clothing?

Yet no doubt you'll all be there putting your sprogs on the rides. Once they've left, no doubt we'll have to endure another flurry of gripping tales about how bad it all really was.

Is this a case of 'them outsiders come to steal our babies' or are you all just mindless village gossips? Because I cannot see a third reason being put forward amongst those who are criticising the travelling show.

As has been more politely put forward by people on this thread: Inform HSE if you're not happy OR stay away if you're not happy. Don't witter on with unsubstantiated gossip or brainless whingeing on a subject that will have a very real effect on peoples livelihood.

Perhaps you all ought to buy a copy of 'The Worlds' Fair' - the paper for the Showmen - you may have a little more understanding of what's involved afterwards

I personally don't go to the sideshows or fairs and would prefer my child (who is 15 and more than capable of deciding for himself) not to go either - however people have a right to their opinions on the subject and I am quite sure this is why someone started the thread - no-one is doing it to spread lies or gossip just merely stating facts (well I am personally) they I am sure need to look after their equipment etc so that people do not complain and it lasts longer so they can continue to go to different places and people can enjoy themselves lets face it it people who go there spend lots of money and cannot (well I can't anyway) afford to replace clothing because it's ruined with rust....maybe u should be a little more understanding yourself!

TBH
17-Jun-08, 21:13
I think we should light up some torches and brandish some pitch forks and run those side-shows out of the country. How dare they come here and think they can play loud music and get rust on our kids clothes. Timne for a lynching or two I think, damn varmints.[lol]

Max
17-Jun-08, 21:14
OMG - I can't believe some of you lot. Don't go if you don't like it but for goodness sake don't help put people out of business, who are trying to make an honest living, by putting everyone else off. When I read the first post I wouldn't let me kids go and now it seems it is just a rumour?? :(

TBH
17-Jun-08, 21:20
OMG - I can't believe some of you lot. Don't go if you don't like it but for goodness sake don't help put people out of business, who are trying to make an honest living, by putting everyone else off. When I read the first post I wouldn't let me kids go and now it seems it is just a rumour?? :(The same false accusation was made when they were in wick a few years back, just a scurrilous myth designed and perpetuated to cause the owners problems.

grumpy1
17-Jun-08, 21:39
Before I log off I just want to be clear, grumpy1 - I was not making a personal attack on your post as I realise you are just concerned over something you've heard. Also, all machines are covered by all necessary insurances and are safety tested by the appropriate body every year.

As a Thurso local myself I travel to alot of places with the funfair and I find it quite disheartening that my hometown is the only place I come across this kind of negative attitude towards the shows. At the end of the day we're just another family trying to make a living.

well thank you for your comment..and i understand that a living has to be made..but i don't think i voiced my concern with the intent of causing negativity, as i said i love a good side show as much as the next man..
but when i know i have my own children looking to support these events you can't blame me for being a concerned parent.

grumpy1
17-Jun-08, 21:53
Looks like you heard wrong. Anything to say grumpy1?

no im sorry this has stirred up the strong feelings it has but i can assure u i had it from a very good source (straight from the horses mouth so to speak)..
as i read on a post somewhere before everyone is entitled to there opinion.. you cant blame me if folk are complaining about rusty marks and loud music..that not what this was about..for crying out loud folk are dying in the world an if they want to go out an have some fun before they do..... here's to doing it SAFELY