PDA

View Full Version : Catherine Petrie, Born abt. 1850, Wick

George Weston
14-Jun-03, 20:33
I'm researching my family in Scotland, especially the Petrie's of Wick. I would appreciate any help I might receive from the readers of these posts!

My Great Grandmother, Catherine Petrie was born in Wick about 1850. According to her marriage certificate in 1872 in Glasgow, she was 22 years old and the daughter of George Petrie, Blacksmith, deceased of Wick and Eizabeth Campbell, also deceased and also from Caithness.

I have visited Wick, about four years ago and was helped greatly by the Family History Center at the Library. At that time we found that Catherine Petrie was listed in the 1861 census as being a domestic servant on the Bremner Farm, "Barnyards" just outside of Wick and she is listed as 12 years of age, and as being a "Cowherd"!

I have not been able to find her birth certificate or any record of her parents, except that there was a George Petrie living in the Pulteney Town section of Wick in the 1851 census and that there was an Elizabeth Campbell living in that same section of Wick. But no other records to help me identify these as her parents. The George Petrie mentioned appears to be the son of George Petrie and Helen Malcolm, and if so would have been a shoemaker, not a Blacksmith. This George Petrie would have been a widower at the time of the 1851 census.

I would really appreciate any help someone might offer as to where to find more information about my family.

George Weston
Suisun, CA, USA