PDA

View Full Version : sideshows

cezzy1234
14-Jun-08, 13:36
hi could any one tell me whot time thise are on today as my little girl is desprate to go if you know or can help me let me know.

telfordstar
14-Jun-08, 13:45
hi could any one tell me whot time thise are on today as my little girl is desprate to go if you know or can help me let me know.

Oh youve made my day now knowing that that crap is nearly upon us:(

nicnic74
14-Jun-08, 14:07
Oh no is it that time again, i didna even notice them e day when i passed over bridge street as usual it will be the same old things that are there when i was a bairn ower 30 yrs ago, they are needing some new rides desperatly

joxville
14-Jun-08, 14:43
Sorry cezzy, I can't help you since I live in Hampshire. However to those of you that responded cezzy was asking if anone knew what time they are open, not what your views on fairgrounds are. It's a little girl that wants to go and have fun or have you forgotten what it's like to be young and innocent?

Fluff
14-Jun-08, 14:56
It is an open forum though so people are allowed to raise their opinion. Although the side shows are fun when you are little/a teenager they are not everyone idea of a good day out, and for that reason i am sure those people will not be going.

henry20
14-Jun-08, 15:23
Of course they are here!! The weather change was an obvious sign they were :roll:

My guess is that they'd be open from 7, but as I say, its just a guess.

rfr10
14-Jun-08, 16:56
Great! Just what I need.. let's win..

..a goldfish in a food bag
..a pencil
..a cuddly toy from hell

..let's shoot a gun which is designed to put your aim off
..let's throw some hoops over a prize, only, the hoop wont go over it because the base is made slightly bigger than the hoop
..let's pay £2 to get thrown about in the air for about 30 seconds
..let's listen to some dance music from the early 90s

Fun fun fun at the side shows! ;)

Venture
14-Jun-08, 17:11
I'm afraid rfr10 wee kiddies love the sideshows and are not bothered about the things you've mentioned. Im sure when you were small you enjoyed them. :lol:

Its only once a year so I say let them enjoy it.

Sapphire2803
14-Jun-08, 17:15

..a pencil
..a cuddly toy from hell

..let's throw some hoops over a prize, only, the hoop wont go over it because the base is made slightly bigger than the hoop

Fun fun fun at the side shows! ;)

Cripes!! How old are you? 17 going on 70? Ya big grumpy so and so.

I'm twice your age and I love the side shows. Kiddies adore them so :Razz

rfr10
14-Jun-08, 17:15
I'm afraid rfr10 wee kiddies love the sideshows and are not bothered about the things you've mentioned. Im sure when you were small you enjoyed them. :lol:

Its only once a year so I say let them enjoy it.

True, true.. I'm sure the parents would rather save the money though!

Sapphire2803
14-Jun-08, 17:16
Twas a parent who started this thread....

TBH
14-Jun-08, 17:17

..a pencil
..a cuddly toy from hell

Fun fun fun at the side shows! ;)Are you one of those kids that moan that there is nothing to do?

rfr10
14-Jun-08, 17:19
Cripes!! How old are you? 17 going on 70? Ya big grumpy so and so.

I'm twice your age and I love the side shows. Kiddies adore them so :Razz

We'll a lot of it is a waste of money though :Razz I mean, the rides used to be 50p when I was little, now they're £2 and they don't last long. Then again, I did go there last year. There's nothing that beats the Irn-bru carnival in Glasgow. It's like the side shows but bigger and a great selection of rides. Well worth the money.

rfr10
14-Jun-08, 17:20
Are you one of those kids that moan that there is nothing to do?

No, I'm one of those "kids" who moan for people to say that there is nothing good to do. :)

rfr10
14-Jun-08, 17:22
Twas a parent who started this thread....

Well what can I say- adults are like children sometimes ;)

Sapphire2803
14-Jun-08, 17:22
Hmmm.... I have 3 children, I'm skint but I'll find something I can go without to get them to Thurso for a few rides at £2.
Exactly what would I need to give up to 'pop down' to Glasgow. I don't think selling my soul would fetch enough dosh for that wee jaunt. :)

TBH
14-Jun-08, 17:23
No, I'm one of those "kids" who moan for people to say that there is nothing good to do. :)You're 17 allegedly, you're a "kid". So you are representing the Kevin and Perrys' of this world.

Sapphire2803
14-Jun-08, 17:23
Well what can I say- adults are like children sometimes ;)

Are you saying that's a bad thing? :lol:

dandod
14-Jun-08, 17:26
You're 17 allegedly, you're a "kid". So you are representing the Kevin and Perrys' of this world.

he he [lol] well said.

dandod
14-Jun-08, 17:28
No, I'm one of those "kids" who moan for people to say that there is nothing good to do. :)

instead of waiting for somebody to find you something good to do get off your backside and find something good to do yourself.

rfr10
14-Jun-08, 17:30
You're 17 allegedly, you're a "kid". So you are representing the Kevin and Perrys' of this world.

Allegedly I'm a young person- teenager, young adult if you wish. I never refer to myself as a kid, or any other teenager. My definition of kid is anyone who is nursery or primary school age. There is no age yet that is classified as being a kid or an adult.

If Kevin and Perrys' is defined as most teenagers the- yes, I am.

rfr10
14-Jun-08, 17:31
Are you saying that's a bad thing? :lol:

In some senses... yes. :Razz

rfr10
14-Jun-08, 17:33
instead of waiting for somebody to find you something good to do get off your backside and find something good to do yourself.

Excuse me, I don't know who you think you're talking to but I'm a very active person, involved in many things and I most certainly do not need to get off my backside and find something to do. I, unlike some people, make an effort to help other people find things to do, I'm not selfish.

me&him
14-Jun-08, 17:35
hi there

the sideshows open at 6.30. there a big enclosed bouncy castle, saucers and teacups, and also the normal we ride for little ones with the firengine plane bus, etc. evrything is 1.50. had my wee one 2 day - she loved it

dandod
14-Jun-08, 17:44
Excuse me, I don't know who you think you're talking to but I'm a very active person, involved in many things and I most certainly do not need to get off my backside and find something to do. I, unlike some people, make an effort to help other people find things to do, I'm not selfish.

perhaps you should try a little harder judging by the amout of teenagers hanging around wick town centre every night.

COACHMAN
14-Jun-08, 17:46

Just what have you done to help others lets here it,you just seem to like your name and title shown on here.
You seem to belong to a lot of groups that like to Talk about things NOT a lot of action from them

Sapphire2803
14-Jun-08, 17:48
Just what have you done to help others lets here it,you just seem to like your name and title shown on here.
You seem to belong to a lot of groups that like to Talk about things NOT a lot of action from them

There's only one of him and the level of apathy around here is shocking, so don't be too quick to judge eh? :D

telfordstar
14-Jun-08, 17:48
It always amazes me how a topic on the org turns itself around into a slagging match...

rfr10
14-Jun-08, 17:59
It always amazes me how a topic on the org turns itself around into a slagging match...

Well I only meant to leave one post and the end but somehow, people have picked my post(as usual) out of the few that mentioned something bad about the sideshows. I'm sorry everyone but I only meant to give my opinion full stop but if you want to challenge me then, fair enough but I never give up.

Sapphire2803
14-Jun-08, 18:03
Well I only meant to leave one post and the end but somehow, people have picked my post(as usual) out of the few that mentioned something bad about the sideshows. I'm sorry everyone but I only meant to give my opinion full stop but if you want to challenge me then, fair enough but I never give up.

Well, I was only playing, so if there was any offence taken, then I apologise. There was none intended...

rfr10
14-Jun-08, 18:18

Ok, I'll name things which I have been or am involved in and tell you what I've done. I have also been awarded a certificate for 50 hours, 100 hours and 200 hours of volunteering in the following groups (I have done well over this amount though but you can't get higher than a gold certificate.)-

Big Lottery Fund, Young People's Fund- been on a panel which influences the decision of the Big Lottery Fund national committee in order to provide huge amounts of funding for groups which benefit a great amount of young people in the Highlands.

Caithness Youth Bank- similar to the Big Lottery Fund but, have the overall decision on whether to fund projects in Caithness that benefit young people and over the past two years, funded many projects and made a great difference to the way some operate.

Caithness Youth Forum- Although currently inactive due to a restructure in August, in the past, we set up a music event which was FREE of charge to young people and offered a range of activities.

Highland Youth Voice- Being a member of the executive committee, I've represented the views of young people from across Caithness in order to influence decision makers on important issues which effect young people in the Highlands. It's a very time consuming process, giving up voluntary time to make an attempt to helpp young people achive their full potential in lives. Politicians never change things immediately. It takes time and nothing will be done if we don't try. I've attended meetings with many organisations from across the Highlands and helped to provide them with information about young people in order to help them involve young people in their organisations. I shadowed Hugh Fraser, the Director of Education last year and produced a report. I learnt much from him and he learnt much from me. This year, I shadowed Harriot Dempster, the Director of Social Services, again to provide her with information on involvement and provision of young people in the Highlands. Also, as transport convener, I lead a group of over 15 people in order to improve the transport service for young people as it was voted the number 1 issue with young people from across the Highlands. I've successfully gathered petition signatures, consulted with all Highland secondary schools and gathered as much support and views as possible (this was done on my own) and lodged it, with a report to the Scottish Parliament this year and currently awaiting the result.

I also volunteer my time for the local Swimming Club and Beaver Scouts. I along with others went through 4 full days of a course in order to be qualified to coach swimming and offer my support to swimmers in Wick. This is one hour every Thursday. With the beavers, I give up one and a half hours of my time to help out, and soon after the holidays, this may end up being 3 hours if another beavers group is formed.

Finally, as you've probably noticed, I'm in the process of setting a group up, as my role with Highland Youth Voice, in order to develop a project which will benefit young people in Caithness. I've attended one meeting last year about this. It got no where so I am now trying again, this time it is advancing. I've attended one meeting so far and will be attending another next week and once the youth forum is restructured, I will do as much as I can to help get something for young people n Caithness. It's not as easy as ABC, there are lots of things to consider including funding, insurance, staffing and a huge amount more.

I'm not paid to do any of this. Most of it is not a stroll in the park and it involves a lot of independent work, long distance travelling alone, research, consultations and much more.

If you don't think this is much then fair enough but I do my best and as much as I can which is very difficult, also having to fit it all around my school work aswell.

By saying this, I'm not boasting about how much I do but the people who get on in life are those who do, do, do and never give up, regardless to any obsticles they meet on their way. Trying and failing is better than not trying and failing.

Oh and another thing which was mentioned- my signature is there in order to raise the profile of Highland Youth Voice and show that I'm there if anyone wants to consult with me on anything involving young people or transport.

rfr10
14-Jun-08, 18:19
Well, I was only playing, so if there was any offence taken, then I apologise. There was none intended...

It's not you I'm talking about :Razz

balto
14-Jun-08, 18:25
Ok, I'll name things which I have been or am involved in and tell you what I've done. I have also been awarded a certificate for 50 hours, 100 hours and 200 hours of volunteering in the following groups (I have done well over this amount though but you can't get higher than a gold certificate.)-

Big Lottery Fund, Young People's Fund- been on a panel which influences the decision of the Big Lottery Fund national committee in order to provide huge amounts of funding for groups which benefit a great amount of young people in the Highlands.

Caithness Youth Bank- similar to the Big Lottery Fund but, have the overall decision on whether to fund projects in Caithness that benefit young people and over the past two years, funded many projects and made a great difference to the way some operate.

Caithness Youth Forum- Although currently inactive due to a restructure in August, in the past, we set up a music event which was FREE of charge to young people and offered a range of activities.

Highland Youth Voice- Being a member of the executive committee, I've represented the views of young people from across Caithness in order to influence decision makers on important issues which effect young people in the Highlands. It's a very time consuming process, giving up voluntary time to make an attempt to helpp young people achive their full potential in lives. Politicians never change things immediately. It takes time and nothing will be done if we don't try. I've attended meetings with many organisations from across the Highlands and helped to provide them with information about young people in order to help them involve young people in their organisations. I shadowed Hugh Fraser, the Director of Education last year and produced a report. I learnt much from him and he learnt much from me. This year, I shadowed Harriot Dempster, the Director of Social Services, again to provide her with information on involvement and provision of young people in the Highlands. Also, as transport convener, I lead a group of over 15 people in order to improve the transport service for young people as it was voted the number 1 issue with young people from across the Highlands. I've successfully gathered petition signatures, consulted with all Highland secondary schools and gathered as much support and views as possible (this was done on my own) and lodged it, with a report to the Scottish Parliament this year and currently awaiting the result.

I also volunteer my time for the local Swimming Club and Beaver Scouts. I along with others went through 4 full days of a course in order to be qualified to coach swimming and offer my support to swimmers in Wick. This is one hour every Thursday. With the beavers, I give up one and a half hours of my time to help out, and soon after the holidays, this may end up being 3 hours if another beavers group is formed.

Finally, as you've probably noticed, I'm in the process of setting a group up, as my role with Highland Youth Voice, in order to develop a project which will benefit young people in Caithness. I've attended one meeting last year about this. It got no where so I am now trying again, this time it is advancing. I've attended one meeting so far and will be attending another next week and once the youth forum is restructured, I will do as much as I can to help get something for young people n Caithness. It's not as easy as ABC, there are lots of things to consider including funding, insurance, staffing and a huge amount more.

I'm not paid to do any of this. Most of it is not a stroll in the park and it involves a lot of independent work, long distance travelling alone, research, consultations and much more.

If you don't think this is much then fair enough but I do my best and as much as I can which is very difficult, also having to fit it all around my school work aswell.

By saying this, I'm not boasting about how much I do but the people who get on in life are those who do, do, do and never give up, regardless to any obsticles they meet on their way. Trying and failing is better than not trying and failing.good on you for being so helpful and supportive of these groups, that is a really good for someone so young, dont let people get to you at the end of the day can they say that they do the same as you.

grumpy1
14-Jun-08, 18:32
my my my what a big to do over a simple question like what time do the side shows open hahahaha u gotta laugh:lol:

TBH
14-Jun-08, 18:33
Allegedly I'm a young person- teenager, young adult if you wish. I never refer to myself as a kid, or any other teenager. My definition of kid is anyone who is nursery or primary school age. There is no age yet that is classified as being a kid or an adult.

If Kevin and Perrys' is defined as most teenagers the- yes, I am.I'd call most teenagers "kid", but thats me, probably other people do it to.
I'd say Kevin and perry sum up most teenagers pretty well.;)

Sapphire2803
14-Jun-08, 18:37
my my my what a big to do over a simple question like what time do the side shows open hahahaha u gotta laugh:lol:

*puts on Obi Wan voice* Tis the way of the org young Jedi!

joxville
14-Jun-08, 18:37

By saying this, I'm not boasting about how much I do but the people who get on in life are those who do, do, do and never give up, regardless to any obsticles they meet on their way. Trying and failing is better than not trying and failing.

Oh and another thing which was mentioned- my signature is there in order to raise the profile of Highland Youth Voice and show that I'm there if anyone wants to consult with me on anything involving young people or transport.

Good on you rfr, glad to see someone young get off their backside and be productive rather than sit around moaning or getting into trouble.

Now,could cezzy or a Moderator please close this thread. The original post was just to enquire about what time the shows opened, not for a damn debate about the cost's or whether you like them or not. If you want to debate side shows then start a new thread.

rfr10
14-Jun-08, 18:38
good on you for being so helpful and supportive of these groups, that is a really good for someone so young, dont let people get to you at the end of the day can they say that they do the same as you.

Thanks Balto :)

rfr10
14-Jun-08, 18:39
I'd call most teenagers "kid", but thats me, probably other people do it to.
I'd say Kevin and perry sum up most teenagers pretty well.;)

Fair enough :Razz

TBH
14-Jun-08, 18:45
Fair enough :RazzWell done wit all the voluntary work btw, not many would give up their free time without getting some financial reward. Your reward seems to be success in helping people, once again well done.
P.S
Apparently the side shows open at 6.30PM.

balto
14-Jun-08, 19:06
unfortunalty grumpy1, some people here will pick little arguments out of the basic threads, you will learn how it all works in time, but on the whole most orgers are lovely.

Tighsonas4
14-Jun-08, 19:59
hope everyone knows when the sideshows open now and havent got lost in the fray enjoy life when you can [lol] [lol] tony

Margaret M.
14-Jun-08, 20:17
rfr10, I was hoping you would highlight your endeavours -- wouldn't you love to hear what those, who accused you of doing little, have done for their community?

rfr10
14-Jun-08, 20:18
rfr10, I was hoping you would highlight your endeavours -- wouldn't you love to hear what those, who accused you of doing little, have done for their community?

I would indeed :):Razz

Moi x
15-Jun-08, 02:45
Now,could cezzy or a Moderator please close this thread.Close it? Why? This thread is a sociologist's dream come true. It's marvellous. :D

Moi x

hotrod4
15-Jun-08, 08:41
It makes you proud to be an orger with all these lovely coments on here directed at someone.
Rather than complain about him getting off his backside and doing something constructive, why dont you do something constructive like "get a life" and stop picking on peoples comments!.
As usual the Lunatics are taking over the assylum.:(

A miiror would be a good thing so those people could have a long hard look at themselves .
Rant over!!

telfordstar
15-Jun-08, 12:08
It makes you proud to be an orger with all these lovely coments on here directed at someone.
Rather than complain about him getting off his backside and doing something constructive, why dont you do something constructive like "get a life" and stop picking on peoples comments!.
As usual the Lunatics are taking over the assylum.:(

A miiror would be a good thing so those people could have a long hard look at themselves .
Rant over!!

I couldnt of put it better myself well said hotrod4:)

Liz
15-Jun-08, 12:20
Good grief as per usual a thread goes way off tangent and turns into a personal attack on someone![mad]

If all 'kids' were like rfr10 Caithness would be an even better place to live in!

C'mon dandod and Coachman list all the things that you have done for your community then?

joxville
15-Jun-08, 12:30
C'mon dandod and Coachman list all the things that you have done for your community then?

They're probably under house arrest, thereby making it safe for everyone else to go out :D:D

jings00
15-Jun-08, 12:35
i remember being sick at the sideshows when i was wee. ate too much ice cream before going on the waltzer thingies.
:-)

Liz
15-Jun-08, 12:37
They're probably under house arrest, thereby making it safe for everyone else to go out :D:D

Hee, hee. Good one!:lol:

TBH
15-Jun-08, 15:57
The sideshows open at 6.30PM if anyone's interested.[lol]

balto
15-Jun-08, 16:15
The sideshows open at 6.30PM if anyone's interested.[lol]
hey it only took 51 replys to get there.

rfr10
15-Jun-08, 17:31
hey it only took 51 replys to get there.

Well I do hope it wasn't my fault. :(

Tristan
16-Jun-08, 06:58

I would love so hear from them too!