PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the past

octane
13-Jun-08, 20:03
Just a wee trip down memory lane, how many can remember this!!!!

[mad] when it happened

http://www.rtapeloadingerror.com/

TBH
13-Jun-08, 20:10
Yeah but wasn't the fun in actually getting it to load in the first place?

octane
13-Jun-08, 20:13
ive still got the 48k+ and a mountain of games.

I still play it to this day but I use emulators and have most games (roms) on my pc and on the psp so I can relive the magic!!

TBH
13-Jun-08, 20:19
ive still got the 48k+ and a mountain of games.

I still play it to this day but I use emulators and have most games (roms) on my pc and on the psp so I can relive the magic!!Can you get original or retro joypads that will hook up to the pc through usb2?

octane
13-Jun-08, 20:30
yeah you can, even old atari controllers and all console pads can be hooked up to a pc if you want.

TBH
13-Jun-08, 20:34
yeah you can, even old atari controllers and all console pads can be hooked up to a pc if you want.So you can hook up originals aswell? If so that's fantastic and could you point me in the right direction for the interface to do this?:D

Kenn
13-Jun-08, 21:02
Found son's ZX in a very dilapidated state a few weeks back but did that jar the ears or did it!

Bobinovich
13-Jun-08, 22:05
Long live the ZX Spectrum :lol:

Rheghead
14-Jun-08, 01:51
Sad, sad , sad , sad and sad.:)

Anyway, did you all finish the Hobbit or did it have you stumped at getting out of the barrel bit?:confused

DRM
14-Jun-08, 09:58
I put monoply on mine and set it up to play itself - stupid computer really- and it played for over 3 months and still never finished the game!!!

jac1791
14-Jun-08, 14:07
oh Octane -- u are so so sad !!!!!!! LOL thought ud have better things to do with ur time

Sapphire2803
14-Jun-08, 14:13
That wasn't half as bad as typing in a game on the ZX81. 2 hours of typing from the book and then the damn game would crash!!! [evil]

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Jun-08, 16:35
The ZX Spectrum is still a big seller in Russia.

octane
14-Jun-08, 17:29
I remember doing a program from the sinclair user magazine for a game and there was a collosal amount of basic to be typed out. So I'd get the next issue and carry on until the game was finished.

So in eager anticipation in playing it for the first time I got an error, so back I goes through all the issues making sure I typed it out correctly and still it wouldnt play.
So I would go over it again and still couldnt see where I went wrong so I just abandoned the project and used my saved data tape for something else.

A few magazine issues later there was an apology in the mag as they had made a mistake in one of the command lines........:mad: there was no way I was typing all that out again so never got to see what the game was like.

octane
14-Jun-08, 17:33
That wasn't half as bad as typing in a game on the ZX81. 2 hours of typing from the book and then the damn game would crash!!! [evil]

Too bloody right, you knew that it was tempremental so you would be as gentle as you could when pressing the keys but 99% of the time it would crash on ya.

Still, looking back it was a benchmark of how things have progressed for todays market.

Bobinovich
14-Jun-08, 20:42
One of my claims to fame is having been credited on a game I helped a friend create when we both lived in Castletown. It was called Dekorating Blues (http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0001333), and I'm sure some peers from my High School days will remember me sitting designing some of the level screens on squared paper both during class and breaks!

It received a 38% rating in Crash magazine, which I feel to be very generous based on the quality of some of the games available by that time (1986). However that was probably taking into account it's £1.99 price tag!

If you want a real laugh then the game can be downloaded from the above page, or you can even play it online with a Java emulator. The page also has screenshot links from for the loading screen and in-game 1st level. links to reviews, etc.

Looking back it is really basic and boring - I didn't even bother going past level 5 when I played the online Java version, but there are a few nice effects in there.

Ahhh, the heady days :D...

Kenn
14-Jun-08, 21:39
octane WILL you stop it! I spent several days typing a game into son's ZX and had the same problem, YEP, the tank rolled across the battle field and then got stuck on a ridge.
we likewise found out some weeks later that there was an error in the programme.
Only good thing to be said was that I could beat the chess programme on the odd occasion on the old ZX now 3 moves and it's "Check and mate."

octane
14-Jun-08, 22:37
One of my claims to fame is having been credited on a game I helped a friend create when we both lived in Castletown. It was called Dekorating Blues (http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0001333), and I'm sure some peers from my High School days will remember me sitting designing some of the level screens on squared paper both during class and breaks!

It received a 38% rating in Crash magazine, which I feel to be very generous based on the quality of some of the games available by that time (1986). However that was probably taking into account it's £1.99 price tag!

If you want a real laugh then the game can be downloaded from the above page, or you can even play it online with a Java emulator. The page also has screenshot links from for the loading screen and in-game 1st level. links to reviews, etc.

Looking back it is really basic and boring - I didn't even bother going past level 5 when I played the online Java version, but there are a few nice effects in there.

Ahhh, the heady days :D...

PMSL @ Walter Wall & Matt Gloss......fitting names...lol

Well Bob as tribute to yer hard work Im playing it on the Psp and ill give ya 88% for it.....lol.

Keep working on more buddy dont let it die!!!!!!

you never know, one top title and it could be a contender for this years Xmas causing a mad rush and queues outside peoples attics for a speccy to play it on [lol]

Bobinovich
15-Jun-08, 00:50
88% - you must have had too much voddie or be bored out of your skull! But thanks for trying it out anyway...

Unfortunately there's unlikely to be any games coming from chez Bob anytime soon, but that's not to say I've stopped programming. Simple programs for converting decimal to roman numerals & back, and working out where telephone codes and postcodes relate to being the only 'commercial' ones, and even they're freeware!

One of my other memories was receiving my Spectrum on Christmas Day but not having any games to play on it - I didn't realise I was going to be lucky enough to get one or I'd have made some copies from friends to keep me going! So I sat down and programmed a noughts & crosses game in BASIC from scratch - not even from a magazine! Sheesh, what was I thinking ;)

The Pepsi Challenge
15-Jun-08, 14:46
People can slag the Sinclair Spectrum all they want, but if there was no Clive Sinclair, there would be no iPod today. Uncle Clive's a living legend.

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Jun-08, 01:30
Speccy fans will love this. And also one of the best cover versions of all time. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmfHHLfbjNQ

tigger2u
16-Jun-08, 08:48
I lovedddddddddddd my Sinclair spectrums :D I had 3 over the years, from the ZX, ZX+ 128 and a brand new ZX 128+2. lol I wasnt very good at the programing though i did give it a go with my first program being Frogger [lol] and it worked !! ok eventually it worked lol.
I used to love a motorcycle game that I can't remember the name now. I can remember all the trees coming towards you so fast, well it was exciting at that time lol.
All the gameplay now has the Sinclair to thank and Sir Clives dream was to have a PC in every household and I remember some people laugh at him on the talk shows. Hmmmmm they should be reminded of their words I think.

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Jun-08, 13:24
If it hadn't been for Chris Curry's betrayal, Clive would probably be as big as Steve Jobs is right now. But Clive was never about making money; being first with an idea was, and, most likely, still is.

scorrie
16-Jun-08, 16:02
I used to love a motorcycle game that I can't remember the name now. I can remember all the trees coming towards you so fast, well it was exciting at that time lol.

Might have been 3D Deathchase, fondly remembered in this article:-

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=81707