PDA

View Full Version : Trends that drain the NHS

justine
13-Jun-08, 13:14
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7451580.stm

i like piercing buts i have to say having the belly buton done seems to be causing many more problems than the NHS can keep up with...Have you had it done and if so had any problems. I do not have it done and neither would i have it done but each to their own, but how much more does the NHS have to deal with for fancy trends...

chaz
13-Jun-08, 13:37
Both my daughters (the older two) have thiers done, neither have had any problems .One daughter has had it done twice as she let the first close up.They both look after thier piercings well,and so far years on they are both fine.My eldest daughter had problems with her ear piercings even though they were looked after.

BRIE
13-Jun-08, 15:55
I had mines pierced & never really had any problems, but my friend had hers pierced around the same time & had to go to hospital to get it cut out due to it getting infected.

justine
13-Jun-08, 16:28
I had mines pierced & never really had any problems, but my friend had hers pierced around the same time & had to go to hospital to get it cut out due to it getting infected.

my sister -in -law had hers surgically removed after it went septic..I remember the pain that she was in with it...i have never found them appealing but then thats just my opinion as i never fancied getting my belly done. I have many other piercings and have never had problems with any, touch wood..

golach
13-Jun-08, 19:30
In the Merchant Navy, tattoos and earrings were common, but dare anything to to wrong with a tattoo or a piercing and you paid for it in fines and anytime taken off work was a loss of wages, they were classed as self inflicted wounds, and therefore were your own fault. I believe this is also the case in today Armed forces.
IMO anyone who has to be treated for infectious piercings or tattoos on the NHS, should be made to pay for the full treatment, as I consider them as self inflicted. The NHS is hard up enough as it is.

theone
13-Jun-08, 19:35
I would have thought the smoking trend costs the NHS a lot more.

Lord Flasheart
13-Jun-08, 20:07

Why, are they giving out free cigarettes now ??

Nobody told me !! .. :D:D

(Or is this another attempt to ignore everyone else who does something unhealthy and single us out ??, from piercings to smokers in 6 posts .. unbelivable !!)

tisme
13-Jun-08, 20:16
What about the junkies, it never ceases to amaze me how much they get, and no one seems to mind.....poor little dope heads[mad]

TBH
13-Jun-08, 20:21
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7451580.stm

i like piercing buts i have to say having the belly buton done seems to be causing many more problems than the NHS can keep up with...Have you had it done and if so had any problems. I do not have it done and neither would i have it done but each to their own, but how much more does the NHS have to deal with for fancy trends...Why would you pierce someones butt?

TBH
13-Jun-08, 20:23
Do you realise how much money the tobacco industry provides in revenue to the government?
NHS treatment of alleged smoke related diseases is a drop in the ocean compared to the intake in taxes.

golach
13-Jun-08, 20:54
What about the junkies, it never ceases to amaze me how much they get, and no one seems to mind.....poor little dope heads[mad]
Poor little dope heads??????? Do you know what a grm of Cocaine costs these days

tisme
14-Jun-08, 10:34
Poor as in 'aw shame', as upposed to 'any small change' poor.
Makes no difference to them how much it costs anyway, just means they have to steal a bit more to pay for it.............

theone
14-Jun-08, 16:00
Why, are they giving out free cigarettes now ??

Nobody told me !! .. :D:D

(Or is this another attempt to ignore everyone else who does something unhealthy and single us out ??, from piercings to smokers in 6 posts .. unbelivable !!)

My point was that we shouldn't single out piercings, or anything else for that matter as a burden on the NHS.

The original poster asked "how much more does the NHS have to deal with for fancy trends?..."

The principle of the NHS is free treatment for all. If you start to question who is deserving of treatment, where do you stop?

theone
14-Jun-08, 16:10
Do you realise how much money the tobacco industry provides in revenue to the government?
NHS treatment of alleged smoke related diseases is a drop in the ocean compared to the intake in taxes.

I wouldn't agree with "a drop in the ocean", but you do have a point.

I still think the cost of treating smoking related diseases far outweighs that of infected piercings.

Oddquine
14-Jun-08, 22:10
I wouldn't agree with "a drop in the ocean", but you do have a point.

I still think the cost of treating smoking related diseases far outweighs that of infected piercings.

Maybe so........but we smokers are paying into the Government coffers over and above the normal taxes. How many people who are daft enough not to look after their piercings/tattoos donate quite as much to the exchequer in order to finance their chosen addiction?

Let's be a bit less judgmental here.........smokers and alcoholics pay their way through the exorbitant taxes imposed over and above any income taxes/NI contributions. Can you tell me any other section of addicted society who does the same?

percy toboggan
14-Jun-08, 22:39
This awful practice should fall into the ranks of by-gone trends a.s.a.p.
Just what is the point of having ones navel orifice punctured in this way?
We have enough holes in our bodies...eleven I think.

If anyone came within a foot of me with piercing equipment I'd shove it somewhere pre-prepared by nature.
Women who have a hole punched in their stomachs and then wear cut off tops to display the cheap and tacky bauble are similar to men who have tatooed lower legs and then wear cut off trousers to benefit the world, which can gaze upon whatever tawdry, pathetic design they have chosen - often a sign of footballing allegiance.... pathetic, classless and common.

I know I don't usually sit upon the fence.

joxville
15-Jun-08, 00:21
This awful practice should fall into the ranks of by-gone trends a.s.a.p.
Just what is the point of having ones navel orifice punctured in this way?
We have enough holes in our bodies...eleven I think.

If anyone came within a foot of me with piercing equipment I'd shove it somewhere pre-prepared by nature.
Women who have a hole punched in their stomachs and then wear cut off tops to display the cheap and tacky bauble are similar to men who have tatooed lower legs and then wear cut off trousers to benefit the world, which can gaze upon whatever tawdry, pathetic design they have chosen - often a sign of footballing allegiance.... pathetic, classless and common.

I know I don't usually sit upon the fence.

Don't beat about the bush percy, tell us what you really think lol

WeeBurd
15-Jun-08, 00:44
Pathetic, classless and common... I better take that one on the chin. :roll:

Back to the original post - I've had my belly pierced for near 10yr now. I've never had any bother with it, and only had to take it out for short spells when I was pregnant with the WeeBurdies. Of course, there was a time when I wouldn't have minded others catching a sneaky glimpse of it, but alas two kids later, I fear folk wouldn't notice it for the slight pooch & stretchies my daughters so lovingly adorned my belly with [lol]. Still, I like my piercing - it's attractive in my eyes, and my husbands, so I don't really give a hoot about anyone elses opinion of them (or of the people who wear them).

There are of course, plenty of other "trends" (not a good word, as I assume what is actually meant is injury through participation/self infliction) that may require NHS treatment at some point: ear piercing; tattooing; parkour; smoking; snowboarding; footballing; rugby to name but a few... who is going to sit in judgement as to which should be treatable on the NHS, and which you'll have to stump up for?

Anyway, I think there are far more pressing issues with the NHS, than whinging about the resources required to deal with a few septic bellies alone.

Moi x
15-Jun-08, 02:37
Pathetic, classless and common... I better take that one on the chin. :roll:You and me both WeeBurd. :D

But are we interpreting percy correctly? Is he saying we have no class or does he regard our navel piercings as common exemplars of a classless society?

Moi x

WeeBurd
15-Jun-08, 12:04
You and me both WeeBurd.

But are we interpreting percy correctly? Is he saying we have no class or does he regard our navel piercings as common exemplars of a classless society?

Moi x

You see pathetic I can take, as yes, I'm a female and have been known to show a slight tendancy towards the pathetic side of things from time to time <hangs head in shame> [lol].

But classless and common, now that is a slight on my being, one that I may find hard to forgive ;)! Ohh, I've come over all Jane Austin...