PDA

View Full Version : Recycling?

Julia
12-Jun-08, 13:39
Going 'green' is the in-thing, what do you recycle?

This is a multiple choice poll so tick all that apply.

Thanks

the_count
12-Jun-08, 13:57
If recycling saves us money i.e. recycling umteen bottles saves enough electricity to run a computer for umpteen minutes ....... how come our bills keep going up! [lol]

wifie
12-Jun-08, 14:41
Not entirely convinced by recycling - this may sound strange for anyone reading this who knows me. Thing is there is only so much plastic garden furniture a nation can use. Recycling is good because it reduces the amount going to landfill. I do think though that more could be done to review the types of packaging used in the first place and possible re-use of said packaging.

dirdyweeker
12-Jun-08, 16:33
try to recycle as much as I can, mainly cause it keeps my bin emptier! Seriously though, if someone else can find a use for what I no longer want they are more than welcome to it. Roll on the plastic recycling.....not long to wait now.:D

Julia
12-Jun-08, 17:19
try to recycle as much as I can, mainly cause it keeps my bin emptier! Seriously though, if someone else can find a use for what I no longer want they are more than welcome to it. Roll on the plastic recycling.....not long to wait now.:D

Plastic recycling is up and running in Wick, I took my stash up last Saturday.

Just noticed this info on the HC website

'Only bottles with the symbol 1 (PET) and 2 (HDPE) will be accepted. Please do not put any other types of plastic in the containers as this will contaminate the load and may lead to the materials being rejected by the reprocessor and then sent to landfill.'

NLP
12-Jun-08, 18:15
Was up at the recycling place today with my cardboard and plastic bottles, forgot to take glass so I've to go back.

canuck
12-Jun-08, 20:24
Not entirely convinced by recycling - this may sound strange for anyone reading this who knows me. Thing is there is only so much plastic garden furniture a nation can use. Recycling is good because it reduces the amount going to landfill. I do think though that more could be done to review the types of packaging used in the first place and possible re-use of said packaging.

Oh wifie, when the garden furniture market runs its course and the piles of recycled plastic begin to take over our lives, some bright young chemistry student will come up with a way to make them into .... I don't know, cars maybe! or bases for mini wind turbines. Okay I'm being sarcastic. I too have always wondered what happened to the old watering cans, lawn furniture etc. I suspect that they end up in the landfill in the end anyway.

But at least if we keep collecting the stuff now it will be all in one pile when someone comes up with a use for it.

TRUCKER
12-Jun-08, 20:27
We Try And Recycle As Much As We Can .

Sporran
12-Jun-08, 20:36

So do we. I think everybody should do their bit!

Sunflower
12-Jun-08, 21:17
I recycle as much as possible and it's great to know that they are now taking plastic. :)

Julia
12-Jun-08, 21:20
I can't believe the amount of cardboard I can collect in one week, it's frightening :eek:

domino
12-Jun-08, 21:25
I believe it is good for the environment. do we need another Haw or end up with another polluted tree project?

dirdyweeker
12-Jun-08, 22:25
Had no word that the plastics was up and running. Will be there tomorrow as have 2 black bags full and waiting. :lol:Started collecting in anticipation!

Julia
12-Jun-08, 22:44
Had no word that the plastics was up and running. Will be there tomorrow as have 2 black bags full and waiting. :lol:Started collecting in anticipation!

Good for you, if only more people were as organised!

weestraw
13-Jun-08, 02:31
Oh wifie, when the garden furniture market runs its course and the piles of recycled plastic begin to take over our lives, some bright young chemistry student will come up with a way to make them into .... I don't know, cars maybe! or bases for mini wind turbines. Okay I'm being sarcastic. I too have always wondered what happened to the old watering cans, lawn furniture etc. I suspect that they end up in the landfill in the end anyway.

But at least if we keep collecting the stuff now it will be all in one pile when someone comes up with a use for it.

Give me about 4years and i'll try and get back to you Canuck, oh sorry you said bright, counts me out then;)[lol]Lol.............

In the meantime just pile it up over in the corner

Margaret M.
13-Jun-08, 03:08
Recycled plastic is used for more than plastic furniture. Plastic 'lumber" is quite popular here for some building projects, decking, signposts, etc., instead of wood, metal or concrete. As for the plastic bottle, if the top/cap cannot be recycled, leaving the top on may cause the entire bottle to be rejected --unless the equipment is different in the UK.

wifie
13-Jun-08, 11:18
Give me about 4years and i'll try and get back to you Canuck, oh sorry you said bright, counts me out then;)[lol]Lol.............

In the meantime just pile it up over in the corner

LOL weestraw - I thought it was you Canuck was hinting at!!!

MadPict
13-Jun-08, 12:55
Recycled plastic garden furniture....

http://www.marmaxproducts.co.uk/default.asp

It looks pretty good in real life - the blue is a bit vibrant but have seen the black, brown and green.

Cattach
13-Jun-08, 15:46
Going 'green' is the in-thing, what do you recycle?

This is a multiple choice poll so tick all that apply.

Thanks

Should also have ticked Organic - just remembered about my garden waste bin!!!

MadPict
13-Jun-08, 16:19
And I didn't have the option to say I use rechargeable batteries....:(

cuddlepop
13-Jun-08, 17:10
I usually manage the papers,clothes and shoes.
We're suppose to be getting our assortment of special bins soon on Skye.
Dont know where some people are going to keep 3 bins though.:confused

We recyle old furnisher as long as its wood overhere too.:D

Lolabelle
15-Jun-08, 12:14

We do too, even compost the dog poo and ash from the fire. :eek: