PDA

View Full Version : As if they dont get enough bad press...

justine
12-Jun-08, 12:51
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1318776,00.html

I am sad to see this happening...[disgust]

Julia
12-Jun-08, 13:34
I'd cross the street if I saw one coming if I had my children with me, I know a lot about dogs and their behaviour and I personally don't trust this particular breed, it's not the dog's fault it's the owners who are to blame.

justine
12-Jun-08, 14:12
i used to think the same but i have to say that Tank is fantastic. but just like any dog i would never leave him unattended with the kids...He niether bothers with the kids in anyway other than he loves to sit with them, he loves people in general and thanks to bingo is great with dogs, although cats he is not sure of, but then are any dogs. he has changed my view..He is also now a neutered male so he should hopefully always remain the same dog..
As you say its down to the owners who make the dogfs do what they do, and thats what this story is about, the fact tjat hey are using the dogs to frighten people, instead of stabbing them, although by fierceness the dogs would be more deadly in the wrong hands.

Tilter
12-Jun-08, 15:57
I'm wary too. Coincidentally, however, the last time I saw a Staffy was at the vet's two days ago. The dog was with a macho-looking young man, but the dog was wearing a shocking pink collar teamed with a shocking pink and black sweater with pink bows and the logo "Top Bitch." It gave the game away a bit, and I didn't feel intimidated at all........... I had a good chuckle over it.

cat
12-Jun-08, 16:34
i know there are exceptions to the rule but i dont always think its the owners fault.we have different breeds of dog for a reason.i live up a road where a few collies live,none of which are trained to gather sheep,but they keep themselves low and sneak up behind you and would nip your heels.i have a basett hound that can pick up the scent of anything from far away and a lab that would carry an egg without breaking it,not because they are trained to do this,but because one is a sniffing dog and one a gun dog.some dogs are more suited to be obedient to one person and will almost do nothing for anyone else.
my basett was recently attacked by a staffy and he is owned by very nice people who would never of trained him to be aggresive,but although she is a bitch and completly submitted the staffy realy went for her.
i just wish people would look into what a dog breed is before buying one.

liz19
12-Jun-08, 17:50
I'm wary too. Coincidentally, however, the last time I saw a Staffy was at the vet's two days ago. The dog was with a macho-looking young man, but the dog was wearing a shocking pink collar teamed with a shocking pink and black sweater with pink bows and the logo "Top Bitch." It gave the game away a bit, and I didn't feel intimidated at all........... I had a good chuckle over it. Think that is my niece and her bfs dog she is gorgeous - my son and mum also have a staffy and they are so friendly and loving to the point that I myself have recently adopted one and he is just gr8 as long as they are well cared for and trained correctly they are gr8 dogs - I do agree however they can look intimidating - a lot of people do have these dogs as "status" dogs which is not a good reason to have ANY dog

the_count
12-Jun-08, 19:31
I don't have a problem with any dog .... even rottweilers and alsations lol i think the majority of these "gangs" rely on the reputation of the breed as the local "lads" found out when their dog rolled over to get his belly tickled when my g/f came out the shop one day. .....Hard ... i think not lol :lol:

young_fishin_neep
14-Jun-08, 23:34
i admitt i used to hate staffys but after being around them so much now i have grown to like them, i know a staffy that at first glance can look quite intimidating but she really is a great petted lump, that loves attention, and gives proper cuddles.

dogs in my eyes are good when they are treat well and looked after properly. if the owner trains the to be vicious then it attacks someone its the owner that should get put down not the dog.

kaz xx

Tilter
19-Jun-08, 13:55
Think that is my niece and her bfs dog she is gorgeous - my son and mum also have a staffy and they are so friendly and loving to the point that I myself have recently adopted one and he is just gr8 as long as they are well cared for and trained correctly they are gr8 dogs - I do agree however they can look intimidating - a lot of people do have these dogs as "status" dogs which is not a good reason to have ANY dog

You'll be pleased to know I temporarily overcame my prejudices and gave her a pet, but I was in a safe place and the pink jumper did it for me. I'm a wimp with any dog I don't know.