PDA

View Full Version : jake's habit

pirateeye
11-Jun-08, 23:46
so i have this amazingly beautiful dog called jake he is a black lab and is the kind of dog you could only dream of...well...mostly...anyway he has a funny habit or...burying his food.
is it normal?
at feeding time he gets all excited, bending his long shiny body in half with his shaking bottom because of his strong tail, and then when he is given his food and permission to eat it...he picks things up and...buries his food. not all the time but he did it when he was a puppy and has never given up, he does it sometimes and has done it today. it's usually sock he puts in it and squishes them down into it but today he got a coat...it was neatly placed in a ball on his food...
its weird. sometimes we see him scraping his nose along the ground near his bowl.
anyone know why he might do this?
he usually ends up eating his food, he is not skinny or thin, but i think it's just a strange habit.......

teenybash
12-Jun-08, 10:39
Your Jake sounds terrific and his 'Habit' is perfectly normal. Sounds as if he is hearing echoes from the past, when dogs hunted their food, ate their fill and buried the rest until hunger struck again.
Both my dogs do the same and with my front door usually open they bury in the garden.....both appearing with mud encrusted muzzles.
You could try giving Jake an old tea towel beside his dish and if he wants to 'bury' he can use that.....saves your coat and socks. I am sure you have a good laugh at his antics.I had a chuckle when I read your post and pictured the scene. [lol]

pirateeye
12-Jun-08, 13:06
oh well, i had a funny feeling it was normal haha. this morning he'd used a bag of old magazines and mums old handbag...don't ask! what a boy!
and yes, it is very very funny, the way he squishes things into it! the towel though is a good idea, because when he has meat with gravy.....eew
thanks!

carasmam
12-Jun-08, 20:06
Lol Cara does this too. I gave my pal our rubber plant a few months ago and when she potted it on a couple of weeks ago she found 3 mouldy markies, 2 chews and a bonio in the compost :lol:
Totally normal I say :eek:

Julia
12-Jun-08, 21:28
My old Cavalier KC used to bury biscuits and the like in a corner of the living room, she would go through the motions of digging, pressing the bone in and then covering it up although she wasn't actually 'covering' it with anything.

She also used to stash cold pasta in the corners of the couch, nothing like shoving your hand in a cold handful of pasta :eek: Practically all my dogs over the years have done this apart from the two I have now.

My first ever dog, a collie, used to 'bury' biscuits in the middle of the living room floor, he too would go through the motions of burying but it would be sat there as plain as day with him pretending it wasn't.

carasmam
12-Jun-08, 22:06
Our old family dog used to get carpet burns on her nose 'burying' things too :lol:

toodiemac
14-Jun-08, 23:03
My first ever dog, a collie, used to 'bury' biscuits in the middle of the living room floor, he too would go through the motions of burying but it would be sat there as plain as day with him pretending it wasn't.

Oh we laughed till the tears were running down our cheeks at this. I could just imagine the stubborn dog saying "Biscuit? What biscuit? I can't see any biscuit" They can be so funny.

Phoenix200416
24-Jun-08, 23:38
I remember a dog we had when I was younger just to take a piece of paper out of the printer and put it over his food bowl. We just assumed that he was hiding it and protecting it from flies until he was hungry again. I'd assume this is what your dog is doing...if he is healthy and eating the food eventually I don't see any cause for major concern over this :)

pirateeye
25-Jun-08, 11:53
oh yes he is healthy enough
here is a picture of him looking very handsome indeed. he is with his wife, bonny, here, at lybster harbour.
gorgeous i must say:lol:

jake is the black one

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/6383/jakepopfl7.th.jpg (http://img254.imageshack.us/my.php?image=jakepopfl7.jpg)

stixie
25-Jun-08, 16:43
He he he he he, had a good laugh at this post.

Our Husky does this too, she is hilarious. She went round the house and pushed with her nose a single used post it note, a kitchen roll inside cardboard bit and a pair of dirty socks for the wash into a corner into the living room and "burried" a piece of bread she had! When the items she chose wouldnt cover the bread too easily she picked up the sock and put it on top of the bread! We were in histerics. She still goes looking for it now! but we took it out!

Animals are sooo funny, they are the best reward.