PDA

View Full Version : Culloden

northener
11-Jun-08, 22:59
I had a few hours to kill around Inverness today, so I thought I'd go and have a poke around the new Visitor Centre at Culloden - haven't been since they flattened the old one.

Blimey. An impressive looking building with access to the roof area so you can look out over the battlefield. Uniformed guide (in one of the French Regiments' colours today) who was very knowledgable and an excellent layout on the walk-through display area.

The bit that tops it all off is the short film of the battle itself. You walk into a largeish room to be greeted by film running on all four walls around you. There is no commentary or captions.

The film begins with shots on all four walls of deserted moorland (at this point, because nothing obvious had happened for at least 15 seconds some of the less enlightened tourists grunted and shuffled out...), without any fanfare the two armies appear on the walls. Jacobites on two walls, Hanoverians on the other two.

Jacobites open fire with cannon, Hanoverians reply with more well-aimed rounds. The 'whump' of the Artillery is almost as felt as it is heard. The action is now different on all four walls, but still two walls for each side, forcing you to constantly flick from one wall to another to try and keep up with what's happening. The effect is one of real confusion.

The Jacobites charge the Redcoats who remain resolutely steadfast and deliver a massive volley in retaliation to the Highlander charge. The roar of gunfire at this point and the cries and shouts, coupled with the inability to take all the information from four different screens at the same time lead to a very un-nerving and confused state of mind.

I actually watched it through 3 times.
Twice to try and take it all in and the third time just to watch how other people reacted to the film.
The effect was amazing, peoples heads and eyes were flicking from wall to wall with immense rapidity, it really was like watching a bunch of raw recruits caught up in the ferocity of battle and being so bewildered by the confusion that they couldn't take it all in.

Probably one of the most effective re-creations of a battle I have ever seen. And so chillingly simple.

Well done.

Buttercup
11-Jun-08, 23:50
Sounds fantastic, must go and see it sometime ~ thanks for the warning btw ;)

Moi x
11-Jun-08, 23:57
The bit that tops it all off is the short film of the battle itself.Yes!

I stopped off there on my way south at the weekend. The film on four walls is very good, the disorientation is part of the experience.

I thought the 'table-top re-enactment' near the exit onto the battlefield was good too.

Moi x

percy toboggan
12-Jun-08, 18:31
Mmm..sound well worth a visit.
Thanks Northener.
Might be up there sooner than I thought so will give it a look if
the schedule allows.

Rheghead
12-Jun-08, 20:22
It sounds great. But do the Redcoats still win?:confused I would have thought with all this fashion for remoulding history, they wouldn't let a historical fact get in the way of freedom of interpretation.

domino
12-Jun-08, 21:27
Must visit when in Inverness