PDA

View Full Version : Fav pop group of the 80's

moose and Lindsay
30-Nov-05, 20:22
When i was in 1st year of the high school i had my walls plastered with Boy George posters and my wee sister had Adam Ant

when i see him on the telly now singing Karma Chamelion etc i just laugh and think i must of been stupid or something to like him, god knows what i saw in him LOL

Sandra
30-Nov-05, 20:46
Wham, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Culture Club, Five Star (or where they 90's?), Thompson Twins, Yazoo, Erasure, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Tears for Fears, Human League. I'm sure there's loads of others.

My walls were plastered with Andrew Ridgeley pictures and not George Michael.

Culture Club were good, Boy George has a fantastic voice.

mr_magoo
30-Nov-05, 20:51
The Dead Milkmen were the best,or was that the 90's??????? my mamory is as bad as my eyesight these days!!

Sandra
30-Nov-05, 20:55
The Cure, Depeche Mode, Go West, Eurythmics, Bananarama, Madness, OMD, Ultravox, Soft Cell, Bangles...... so many........

EDDIE
30-Nov-05, 21:07
I still do like listening to eightys music its a pity that you cant get early version of now 1 and so on on cd.

98elite
30-Nov-05, 21:53
Vanessa Paradis " Joe la Taxi" a classic 80's tune.

Chillie
01-Dec-05, 01:30
joe la taxi (fab) bangles, dire straits, jennefer rush,can go on and on and on.

rainbow
01-Dec-05, 08:44
Duran Duran were the best by a long shot!!!

lorraine_2406
01-Dec-05, 08:52
My fav is bon jovi has been since i was 12 and now at 30 i have been to see them in concert since 2000 also like def leppard

paris
01-Dec-05, 09:00
It got to be David Bowie, T.Rex, Matchbox,Stray Cats, ect for me, may not have all been about in the 80s though.

Saveman
01-Dec-05, 09:42
Aha!
Pure Quality pop.

porshiepoo
01-Dec-05, 10:15
Bros!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

abalone
01-Dec-05, 23:51
The Carpenters.Karen Carpenter is still my favourite female singer.

hereboy
02-Dec-05, 00:20
e 80's wiz over in 82 when e Jam split... e rest o' e 80's is hardly worth spikin aboot.... e Jam - now at's entertainment....

moose and Lindsay
02-Dec-05, 01:31
oh yeah they were good, i loved their song "beat surrender"

Sporran
02-Dec-05, 07:14
I liked most of the 80s bands and singers already mentioned on this thread. :)

Some of my other faves were ABC, Air Supply, Asia, Belinda Carlisle, Billy Idol, Billy Joel, Billy Squier, (all those Billys, lol!), Bruce Hornsby & The Range, Bruce Springsteen (The Boss!), Chicago, Crowded House, Cyndi Lauper, Dire Straits, Eurythmics, Foreigner, Hall & Oates, Huey Lewis & The News, Heart, INXS, Journey, Kenny Loggins, Laura Branigan, Lionel Richie, Loverboy, Men at Work, Mr Mister, Pat Benatar, Paul Young, Pet Shop Boys, The Pretenders, Queen, Sheena Easton, Survivor, Scorpions, Toto, Van Halen and Whitesnake. (Phew!!!)

The 80s were great, and I still enjoy listening to music from that decade! :D

sweetheart
02-Dec-05, 13:48
Oingo Boingo, B-52's, Tangerine Dream, Vangelis, Patrick O'Hearn, Joe Satriani

Those were/are still favourites from the 80's.

Rheghead
02-Dec-05, 14:02
Bros!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How come that doesn't surprise me? :)

They were a seventies group.

I quite liked Dexys Midnight Runners and I am still guilty of getting up to dance for a good old 'Come on Eileen' :)

weeboyagee
02-Dec-05, 14:19
Status Quo - best band of every decade for the past half century! ;)

squidge
02-Dec-05, 18:06
half century is about right weeboyagee!!!!

i liked

Tears for Fears
Marillion
Jam
Madness
eurythmics
sheesh i like almost everything thats been mentioned hereabouts

gleeber
02-Dec-05, 18:16
My favourites were The Stranglers. Golden Brown is one of my all time favourite songs.

htwood
02-Dec-05, 18:27
I don't quite remember Golden Brown....Sing it for us gleeber?

gleeber
02-Dec-05, 18:39
Just for you HTWood

Golden Brown texture like sun
Lays me down with my mind she runs
Throughout the night no need to fight
Never a frown with Golden brown

Chorus
Never a frown with Golden Brown.(about a dozen times)
Canna remember the rest choost now.

Golden Brown probably refers to heroin.

htwood
02-Dec-05, 18:49
I am honored by your rendition of the words. We can leave the tune to another day, altho you will prob be humming it for the rest of the weekend.

Funny how songs can glorify heroin. aye never a frown with golden brown, until yer lyin in the gutter.

When my girls were small, our fave pop stars and groups were Madonna, Blondie and Abba. -H

hereboy
02-Dec-05, 20:38
here is a midi file of e tune....

http://80stop.tripod.com/goldenbrown.html

she wisnae bad, but she couldna knock e Jam off o' number 1 tho'.

htwood
02-Dec-05, 22:13
Thanks hereboy, me and coworkers are dancing now. -H

Rheghead
02-Dec-05, 22:19
Just for you HTWood

Golden Brown texture like sun
Lays me down with my mind she runs
Throughout the night no need to fight
Never a frown with Golden brown

Chorus
Never a frown with Golden Brown.(about a dozen times)
Canna remember the rest choost now.

Golden Brown probably refers to heroin.

It is funny how you salute the song throng of drugtakers whilst you are vehement against a less toxic drug. I am not disagreeing with you except with your double standards...:)

abalone
03-Dec-05, 00:03
Are the Carpenters really the seventies?I`m older than I thought.

gleeber
03-Dec-05, 00:33
It is funny how you salute the song throng of drugtakers whilst you are vehement against a less toxic drug. I am not disagreeing with you except with your double standards...:)

It would probably be best if I ignored your cheap jibe but just for the record
it was about 10 years after I first heard the tune that I discovered what the contents of the song were about.
Maybe I could have displayed my real double standards and claimed Campbelltown Loch as my favourite.

Rheghead
03-Dec-05, 02:27
Maybe I could have displayed my real double standards and claimed Campbelltown Loch as my favourite.

Campbeltown loch,
I wish you were whiskey
Campbeltown loch, Och aye
Campbeltown loch,
I wish you were whiskey
I would drink yer dry!

That brings back memories of an old soak that propped up the bar in the british legion about 25 years ago. Those were the words as I remember him singing it, and we used to shout 'get 'em in again landlord!' in a landed gentry accent afterwards. Totally cringeworthy when I look back but good fun at the time...

Thanks Gleeber for that :)

Sporran
03-Dec-05, 06:58
No Hogmanay was complete without Andy Stewart singing that song on TV, when I was a bairn, lol! :)

Here's a video clip, though Campbeltown Loch isn't one of the songs featured...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/aboutus/wirelesstoweb/decades/clip_display.shtml?decade=50s&clip_name=heather_club_v&size=v&media_type=video

marion
04-Dec-05, 03:49

Seventies or eighties I remember how good they were and I enjoyed listening to them.

Sporran
05-Dec-05, 06:11
I loved the Carpenters' music also, and was greatly saddened by Karen's premature death in 1983, at the age of 32. :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Carpenter

Their singles album was one of my most frequently played tapes in the 70s! :)