PDA

View Full Version : Milk in a Bag

bky
11-Jun-08, 12:15
Why the fuss over Sainsburys selling milk in a bag - we had it 30 odd years ago - i remember the milkman walking up the street with an arm full of bags, lobbing them towards the door and hoping they didna burst

charley9
11-Jun-08, 12:34
I used to live in germany and we always bought our milk in a bag, and had a special plastic holder for it, took up a lot less room in the rubbish bag.

mccaugm
11-Jun-08, 12:41
I used to live in germany and we always bought our milk in a bag, and had a special plastic holder for it, took up a lot less room in the rubbish bag.

I remember milk coming in bags...years ago. White with purple writing as I recall.

Tighsonas4
11-Jun-08, 12:53
when we had milk in bags the birds were delighted [lol] [lol]tony

silverfox57
11-Jun-08, 12:57
think we got free blue jug, had to place bag of milk in jug and cut one end of bag,

chaz
11-Jun-08, 13:01
think we got free blue jug, had to place bag of milk in jug and cut one end of bag,

Yep i remember the blue jug :)

hell raizer
11-Jun-08, 13:27
yip i remember it well, more milk ended on the worktop than in the cups :lol:

jings00
11-Jun-08, 13:57
thirty years ago?? lordy.

elamanya
11-Jun-08, 14:16
yup the last 30 years have gonepastyoureyes.........

Julia
11-Jun-08, 14:50
I remember them too, they didn't work too well being delivered but I'd buy it today, would save on plastic and probably be more environmentally friendly.
!

chaz
11-Jun-08, 15:04
I remember them too, they didn't work too well being delivered but I'd buy it today, would save on plastic and probably be more environmentally friendly.
!

I would also buy it for the same reasons , the amount of milk we go through would save a lot of plastic :)

marlyn
11-Jun-08, 15:20
we used to get our milk in school in bags, that was probably about 30 years ago.

EDDIE
11-Jun-08, 17:20
i remember the bags they were messy to use that was in the seventys never took off.
Its like all the coke bottles and milk bottle were all glass at one time i dont no why they dont go back to using glass bottle its better taste and the glass bottle can be returned or reycled rather than having the plastic bottles were the tast of the juice isnt as good as out of glass bottle

ashaw1
11-Jun-08, 18:03
We had them when i lived in Shetland just over 20 years ago. We had a little red jug with a bit cut out where the spout should be. Don't remember having problems with it bursting, leaking or not being able to get the top off. Was much easier to have delivered too, the milkman just stuck it through the letterbox.

hotrod4
11-Jun-08, 18:16
i remember the bags they were messy to use that was in the seventys never took off.
Its like all the coke bottles and milk bottle were all glass at one time i dont no why they dont go back to using glass bottle its better taste and the glass bottle can be returned or reycled rather than having the plastic bottles were the tast of the juice isnt as good as out of glass bottle

Darn good idea, I remember running down to the shops with my "empties" to get a sweetie when I was a bairn!!!. I suppose we were more environmentally friendly then ;) (And needed the cash for a penny chew!)

joxville
11-Jun-08, 19:19
I remember the milk in bags. You had to be careful with the size of hole that you snipped on the corner or it wouldn't pour properly. Also, they were a pain in winter when milkman left them on doorstep to which they froze, you had to pour water over it to free it from the step.

angela5
11-Jun-08, 21:28
I remember missing out on my breakfast if the birds had got to the bags first.[disgust]

Tristan
11-Jun-08, 21:32
I think they have continued to use them on the other side of the pond for the last 30+ years.
You used to be able to get a good gadget to snip the tip of the bag for that perfect pour.
The nice thing about them is you could fit them around things in your fridge.

joxville
11-Jun-08, 21:41
You used to be able to get a good gadget to snip the tip of the bag for that perfect pour.

What was wrong with scissors? It sounds like re-inventing the wheel!:D

canuck
11-Jun-08, 22:16
I think they have continued to use them on the other side of the pond for the last 30+ years.
The nice thing about them is you could fit them around things in your fridge.

Still do Tristan. Bags it is in Canada. 3 bags of milk to a larger plastic bag. The empty milk bags, washed out, make great freezer bags.

What was wrong with scissors? It sounds like re-inventing the wheel!:D

These little snip things are easier to wash. They also come with a magnet on the back so you can leave them attached to the frig for convenience.

Tristan
11-Jun-08, 22:59
Still do Tristan. Bags it is in Canada. 3 bags of milk to a larger plastic bag. The empty milk bags, washed out, make great freezer bags.

These little snip things are easier to wash. They also come with a magnet on the back so you can leave them attached to the frig for convenience.

You could also get the ones that clipped on the jug. I seem to remember one that was built in. The best thing was it was a very clean snip which was not always possible with well used kitchen shears.

The Angel Of Death
12-Jun-08, 11:44
Am i the only one that is thinking of a smelly milk hand grenade after its been left out in the sun for a few days ?

Other than that i don't see what the fuss is milk in a bag milk in a bottle at the end of the day its all milk isn't it

tisme
12-Jun-08, 12:10
[QUOTE=The Angel Of Death;394751]Am i the only one that is thinking of a smelly milk hand grenade after its been left out in the sun for a few days ?

Why would you leave milk out in the sun for a few days? I remember the fist time around, are they were a total pain is the butt. Funnily enough hadn't ever thought about them 'til I saw this thread.

The Angel Of Death
12-Jun-08, 12:13
Why would you leave milk out in the sun for a few days? I remember the fist time around, are they were a total pain is the butt. Funnily enough hadn't ever thought about them 'til I saw this thread.

A milk hand grenade is only made better by turning it into a lumpy smelly milk hand grenade ;)

tisme
12-Jun-08, 12:23
Fair doos.................wow smelly:D