PDA

View Full Version : Email problem

mrsmo
10-Jun-08, 20:00
I am trying to sort out an email problem for a friend.
They have an HP laptop running Windows Vista basic.
It is on dial up and connects through BTclick.
Email is Windows Live Mail and ISP is Tiscali.
Everything seemed to be going ok and this error message has cropped up

"An unknown error has occurred.
Subject 'test'
Server Error: 554
Server Response: 554 Sorry, your non-local IP address (213.120.13.131) is not allowed to send email via me.
Server: 'smtp.tiscali.co.uk'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC6F
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No"

I have looked up this problem on the Tiscali troubleshooting page and have tried what it suggests - see below -but still have error??
SMTP address is correct.

Click the Start button, then RUN.
In the RUN prompt, type cmd (on Windows NT/2000/XP) or Command on Windows 95/98/ME in Vista type cmd in the search bar on the start menu.
In the new window, type 'telnet smtp.tiscali.co.uk 25' then click enter. Take care in your typing as you may not see what you type so its easy to make a mistake. If you do, its best to start again.
You should be connected to the mailserver - you should see a response that begins with "220." which confirms the port 25 is open. If you don't get the "220" response, either the mailserver is not operating properly (check service status (http://www.tiscali.co.uk/cgi-bin/status.cgi)), you're not connected to the Internet or something on your system may be blocking port 25.
The final solution was to contact your PC supplier to have your system checked.

Can anyone please help as so far I am stuck!

lazytown
10-Jun-08, 20:40
Because it is connecting through a different isp (BTClick) tiscali does not allow users of other isp's to relay mail through their servers, this is standard practice to try and stop users sending spam mail through their servers.
You could try changing the outgoing mail server address to smtp.btclick.com

Bobinovich
10-Jun-08, 21:34
A little unsure why your dialling up with BT Click when Tiscali is your ISP? Why not just create a dial-up connection using Tiscali dial-up details?

mrsmo
11-Jun-08, 08:18
The laptop was set up already with BTclick when the friend got it so I just left it with that. But will have a look at changing the dial up to Tiscali.
but have learnt something - again!! Didnt know Tiscali didnt like using other dial ups?
Thanks again, can always rely on the Org.
:D