PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten cures

Julia
30-Nov-05, 11:26
Anybody have any unusual cures for common ailments?

One of my favourites is for headaches; with the thumb and forefinger of one hand press the fleshy part between the thumb and forefinger of the other hand. Do this as long as possible alternating hands. If it hurts to press....that's good. Headaches will soon disappear.

Rheghead
30-Nov-05, 11:35
A snack of 'eggs in a cup'

lassieinfife
30-Nov-05, 12:41
Chicken soup a cure for everything ... so my jewish friend assures me ...... cant say i would go for that ................. i hate chicken soup

dirdyweeker
30-Nov-05, 13:21
a sweaty sock round your neck for a sore throat!!

Chillie
30-Nov-05, 13:26
A spoon full of caster oil every morning.

paris
30-Nov-05, 17:34
Anything with garlic in helps with a common cold, also rub a peice of steak on a wart or veruca, then bury in the garden. when it rots away the problem rots with it. Also natural yoghurt for anywhere you may have thrush, works a treat ! Feeling sick? then drink very flat lemonade.
For coughs, 2 teaspoons of honey, 2 of lemon juice, and a tot of whisky. Mix together and sip when you want to .
All old wifes tales my mum told me when i was first married.

jjc
30-Nov-05, 17:37
For coughs, 2 teaspoons of honey, 2 of lemon juice, and a tot of whisky. Mix together and sip when you want to .
A fantastic remedy which works just as well without the honey... and the lemon. ;)

MadPict
30-Nov-05, 18:05
I suffered a bout of hiccups which lasted for almost two weeks on and off. I tried all the known remedies and in the end turned to the internet. I found a "cure" which when I tried it cured my hiccups right away.

Sitting upright in a chair, start by inhaling through your mouth until your lungs are almost filled to capacity (not straining, but full). You don’t need to necessarily do it fast or slow. I usually use a medium speed (slightly faster than normal). If your hiccups are occuring very frequently, it may be better to do this part as fast as possible so you are not interrupted by too many hiccups. DO NOT LET ANY AIR OUT.
Now inhale some more. You don’t need to inhale a lot, but do get some more air in. It will start to get difficult to do this as you go, but keep trying. You obviously can’t suck in as much air as you did initially, but just a little will do. DO NOT LET ANY AIR OUT.
Now inhale some more. DO NOT LET ANY AIR OUT.

Then exhale slowly until. Hold your breath, then exhale a further two times as if emptying your lungs completely.

Then inhale slowly and resume normal breathing.

No brown bags, cups of water, someone going BOOO!!!

Spittal Hill Eagle
30-Nov-05, 18:21
If you burn your fingers put them against your earlobe.

My wife swears by this....

marion
30-Nov-05, 20:54
A spoon full of caster oil every morning.

Yuch I hated caster oil when my mother gave it to me as a younster, but I sure loved chicken soup and I still do.

Julia
30-Nov-05, 21:42
A snack of 'eggs in a cup'

What is that a remedy for?

fed-ex
30-Nov-05, 21:49
What is that a remedy for?Bird flu perhaps??

Chillie
01-Dec-05, 01:07
:p open your mouth put in a frog, close for ten seconds
take out the frog and sore throat has gone, cough cough.

At Lassagie
06-Dec-05, 13:20
If ye hev a sty in ur eye, rub it wi yer mithers wedding ring, also warts dissappear if ye rub thim wi eh inside o a banana peel. I hed a mate who hed one on his lip, he tried is and wi'in 2 days hid wis gone.

fed-ex
06-Dec-05, 22:04
Another cure for worts is to pee on them first thing every morning. dont know how this would work for the one on your lip though. lol

htwood
06-Dec-05, 22:11
If ye hev a sty in ur eye, rub it wi yer mithers wedding ring, also warts dissappear if ye rub thim wi eh inside o a banana peel. I hed a mate who hed one on his lip, he tried is and wi'in 2 days hid wis gone.

Um, are you sure it was a regular wart...hope you didnt kiss him cuz it was mighta been herpes simplex.

linzy222
06-Dec-05, 22:11
put a wet tea-bag on your eye to cure conjunctivitus (no doubt spelt wrong):D

It is great and cures it in no time

porshiepoo
06-Dec-05, 22:20
The caithness countryside will cure a thousand ills!

Corny I know. lol

Saveman
06-Dec-05, 23:11
One spoonful of Apple Cider Vinegar in a glass of water will help food poisoning, vomiting, nausea etc.

Works a treat.....

sids
07-Dec-05, 23:51
Plain flour will seal up a remarkably big cut.

Kenn
08-Dec-05, 01:44
Rub a dock leaf over a nettle rash., tea made with elderflower blossom will ease a fever, seep rose petals in water to make a cooler for the skin, whisk an egg white and add a little cucumber for a simple refreshing face mask.
Use a teasle to fluff up an angora/ mohair jumper that has gone flat or got matted.