PDA

View Full Version : Oddest thing you have eaten

George Brims
09-Jun-08, 19:16
Since there's already a thread on odd combinations, I thought I would ask what's the single oddest thing you have eaten.

Mine is smoked mongoose. I used to play darts with a Chinese-Hawaiian taxidermist, who used to bring all sorts of odd stuff on a Thursday night!

unicorn
09-Jun-08, 19:21
sheep stomach soup in Turkey, (I hope thats what it was as I also knowthey eat sheep brain soup) I was trying to be polite to the hostess and eat it but hubby and daughter refused point blank so I felt even more guilty and tried to eat all and it was awful, and so so salty :eek:

northener
09-Jun-08, 19:21
Reindeer burger. Pretty tame, I know (Well, I'm sure it was reasonably tame:D).

Shark, seal, whale, various dodgy tropical fish......

northener
09-Jun-08, 19:22
sheep stomach soup in Turkey, (I hope thats what it was as I also knowthey eat sheep brain soup) I was trying to be polite to the hostess and eat it but hubby and daughter refused point blank so I felt even more guilty and tried to eat all and it was awful, and so so salty :eek:

Tripe!!!....the food - not your post.

unicorn
09-Jun-08, 19:25
yeah but even now I am not convinced thats what it was I still shudder thinking about it. I was so mortified that others wouldn't try it I just felt I had to set a good example it was like drinking the sea.
I remember eating tripe and onions as a kid and liked it till I found out what it was and this did not have a likeable taste and I couldn't bring myself to look at the chunks of "meat" I just swallowed them ewww

scorrie
09-Jun-08, 19:28
I used to be partial to firelighters. Loved the taste but the indigestion was horrendous. Also liked blackboard chalk.

golach
09-Jun-08, 19:42
The strangest meal I ever tasted was in a place called Balikpapan in Indonesea, we befriended a Indoneasian guy who was working on the ship I was on and he took us to his house ( a Bamboo Hut on the outskirts of the jungle ) for a meal to thank us. The meat was cooked on an open fire on the ground,wrapped in Banana leaves and tasted good, sort of like chicken, then I stupidly asked what the meat was....the answer Monkey. I promptly ran into the jungle and threw up. Our host thought this was hilarious, as did the rest of my shipmates

bobandag16
09-Jun-08, 19:58
Since there's already a thread on odd combinations, I thought I would ask what's the single oddest thing you have eaten.

Mine is smoked mongoose. I used to play darts with a Chinese-Hawaiian taxidermist, who used to bring all sorts of odd stuff on a Thursday night!
if hungary will eat anything. have had hedgehogs . cats. rats donkey snakes incects hawthorn . varies berry even fish.

scorrie
09-Jun-08, 23:45
I stupidly asked what the meat was....the answer Monkey. I promptly ran into the jungle and threw up. Our host thought this was hilarious, as did the rest of my shipmates

Dear, dear Golach. Have you never had a Mixed G'rilla before ;)

Kevin Milkins
09-Jun-08, 23:56
Went camping with some years ago and shot a grey squirell with an air rifle.
I skinned it the same way as a rabbit and cooked it over the camp fire .
We all had a go at it and found it very tasty lean meat.

joxville
09-Jun-08, 23:59
[quote=scorrie;393928]I used to be partial to firelighters.quote]

Were they flamegrilled?:D

wifie
10-Jun-08, 00:39
I used to be partial to firelighters. Loved the taste but the indigestion was horrendous. Also liked blackboard chalk.

Were you pregnant :eek:

wifie
10-Jun-08, 00:45
Shark, seal, whale, various dodgy tropical fish......

Oh no - you were not the person who took away the angel fish from the Second Coming were you! :confused

pat
10-Jun-08, 11:33
yes
Choocolate covered ants and the most awful thing ever - sheeps eyes - absolutely disgusting but had to get it over as it would have been an insult to my host otherwise. Just like a lump of horrible wobbly grizzle - uuuugggghhhh!
Rabbits eyes I managed to get out of eating - after my experience with sheep eyes no way would I attempt it again.
One look at oysters and I am off - reminds me too much of the eyes.

seeing your post Annie - reminds me I have eaten whale too, didn't think too much of it.

ANNIE
10-Jun-08, 11:39
Went to the Faro islands and had wind dried sheep and whale meat :p Not for my taste buds but they loved it

jings00
10-Jun-08, 11:40
a long long time ago, a friend of mine got really stoned down the river and ate some rabbit poop cos he says he thought it was chocolate poppett things. (boke)

scorrie
10-Jun-08, 14:00
Were you pregnant :eek:

I'm not a Wifie wifie.

honey
10-Jun-08, 15:48
Ostrich - in the very exotic location of, erm, the Viking Bowl! :lol:

Fluff
10-Jun-08, 16:18
A daffodil (but not the stalk) many years ago.

nightspirit
10-Jun-08, 17:00
sprinbok, kangaroo, crocodile,zebra.. the strangest and worst must be the "Cured" skate wings of iceland ...6 months in the ground the icelandic claime it is a delacacy but oh my god it is the most vile foul thing you have ever tasted.

Sporran
10-Jun-08, 18:14

We had that for the first time over here, about three years ago. It was at a fairly upscale restaurant, and it was the 'special' on the menu that day. We asked the waiter what it was like first before ordering. We were surprised when he said it was a red meat, and that it tasted similar to beef steak. We had expected it to be a white meat, like turkey. Anyway, it did turn out to be very tasty, like a tender, juicy, lean steak, or prime rib of beef. It's definitely something we'd try again. Apparently, it's a healthy meat too. Rich in protein, high in iron, yet lower in fat, calories and cholesterol than skinless chicken or turkey! :)

We've eaten frogs legs as well, many years ago. That tastes similar to chicken. Escargots (snails) are delicious too, and not slimy, like you might expect. We had them in Paris, served with garlic butter. They were magnifique! :cool:

highlander2222
10-Jun-08, 18:26
Grass Hopper

pat
10-Jun-08, 18:57
definitely an acquired taste - it is baby gannet (I think) salted then cooked before serving - I did a Gordon Ramsay exactly as he did when he tasted it!!!!

The folk queue up here after the big cull and pay a fortune for the birds.

Not to be cooked in the house and water for rinsing and cooking must not be put down the drains - what does that say??

Just think - fowl, fishy, salty - definitely an acquired taste.

Angela
10-Jun-08, 19:09
Pat, I was reading about that just the other week in 'The Food of the Scots' by Alexander Fenton. I'd not realised it still happened.

If I remember right, the birds come from a small island -is it Sula? or have I remembered that completely wrong? :roll: :confused

northener
10-Jun-08, 19:35
A daffodil (but not the stalk) many years ago.

Argh! I'd forgotten about the daffodils:eek:

I was home on leave many years ago when I saw an item on 'Nationwide' about a man who ate daffodils.

So, after about 10 pints of mild, me and my equally blootered oppo proceeded to eat a gardenful of the bloody things.

All I can say is that when you throw up pints of dark brown mild mixed with bright yellow and green vegetation - it sure looks psychedelic, man.[smirk]

donss
10-Jun-08, 19:50
Turtle Soup in the Howtowdie Restaurant in the West End o' Edinburgh, early 1980's.

defo not politically correct these days.....

George Brims
10-Jun-08, 19:55
Was it turtle soup or Mock Turtle? I assume the latter is made with something else.

Actually here it is - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mock_turtle_soup

Sounds awful!

wifie
10-Jun-08, 20:00
I'm not a Wifie wifie.

I was pretty sure of this fact hence my goggle eyes. :eek:

northener
10-Jun-08, 20:00
Was it turtle soup or Mock Turtle? I assume the latter is made with something else.

Sounds awful!

It's bad enough making soup out of a turtle, to mock the poor thing as well is totally unacceptable.

pat
10-Jun-08, 20:16
Agree with you George it would be mock turtle - an acquired taste.

Yes Angela they still go out to cull and bring the young salted gannets back - they have been allowed to carry on the tradition as they have been doing it so long. Cannot remeber but it went to the human rights or some big court and they have permitted it to carry on as they have been able to proove it is a tradition and is required to control the gannet population. Think each bird is about £25 the last I heard. Yes they go to small island for about two weeks following is copied from Scotsman - Niseachs are people from Ness area of Lewis!

The Niseachs who head out to Sulasgeir, do so in their own time, giving up holidays, or for those who are self-employed, their income for the space of the 2 weeks that they're out there. So to make it illegal to sell the birds could be more effective in bringing the tradition to an end than anything the AnA could do.

In comparitive terms, the 2000 Guga's they are limited to, are a drop in the ocean compared to the hundreds of thousands who inhabit the island. The ereadication of 500 years of tradition, the enjoyment of the delicacy for those who buy the birds,(don't get that one myself - yeuch!), and the craic that the boys expereince whilst out there, should not be brought to an end on the basis of a few politically correct amadanshttp

If you want to read more http://news.scotsman.com/ViewArticle.aspx?articleid=3321046

donss
10-Jun-08, 20:20

Sounds awful!

Christ! I hope it was real turtle then.... LOL

wifie
10-Jun-08, 20:24

Is strange Honey but I don't consider ostrich unusual now as it is available at a farmer's market I go to. I like it and the bonus is it is apparently low fat and low cholesterol - I say give it a go if you get a chance. Did you enjoy it Honey?

TBH
10-Jun-08, 21:26
definitely an acquired taste - it is baby gannet (I think) salted then cooked before serving - I did a Gordon Ramsay exactly as he did when he tasted it!!!!

The folk queue up here after the big cull and pay a fortune for the birds.

Not to be cooked in the house and water for rinsing and cooking must not be put down the drains - what does that say??

Just think - fowl, fishy, salty - definitely an acquired taste.
According to Ramsay:

A rare delicacy with a taste of duck mixed with mackerel, all to be washed down with milk. A dish that maybe wouldn’t just remain in the Western Isles but would be flown around the world to the delight of foodies with big cheque books.Do you think it will catch on?

cazmanian_minx
10-Jun-08, 21:43
This is an odd combination rather than an odd food - clotted cream & golden syrup sandwiches! Also quite partial to chips dipped in strawberry milkshake.

(And no, I'm not and have never been pregnant!)

horseman
10-Jun-08, 21:54
This is an odd combination rather than an odd food - clotted cream & golden syrup sandwiches! Also quite partial to chips dipped in strawberry milkshake.

(And no, I'm not and have never been pregnant!)

Sounds good,might add-cheese an apricote jam sarnies.

TBH
10-Jun-08, 21:54

(And no, I'm not and have never been pregnant!)Ach this reminds me of clotted cream fudge.http://www.bowlandcentral.com/forum/images/vbulletinsmilies/eek.gif

scorrie
10-Jun-08, 23:15
I was pretty sure of this fact hence my goggle eyes. :eek:

Not as goggle eyed as I would have been!!

sassylass
11-Jun-08, 01:56
A moth, but it was accidental :eek:

the_count
11-Jun-08, 02:23
i know my ex went though the traditionional pickled onions dipped in stawberry yogurt (yes she was pregnant) but i dont count anything as strange to eat .... ill try anything once lol :lol:

Metalattakk
11-Jun-08, 03:48

A toasted Lemsip sandwich. :eek:

It was what can be classed as an 'acquired taste', if memory is to be trusted. I didn't even have a cold, but I may well have been 'under the weather' at the time. ;)

Hang on, does this come under 'Combinations' or 'Single'?

Lord Flasheart
11-Jun-08, 07:14
A moth, but it was accidental :eek:

Was it crunchy, squishy or a bit of both ??

helenwyler
11-Jun-08, 07:26
Anybody ever heard the rumour that we swallow on average eight spiders a year? They're supposed to crawl into our open mouths when we're asleep. :mad:

Well it's not true........and yet, maybe it is! :eek:

Behind the Legend
You'll be pleased to hear that this is not true. The only way one could reasonably say that a person eats eight spiders a year is by assuming, a) that you can add up all the spider parts found in typical foodstuffs (e.g., vegetables, rice, hamburger buns) until you reach the mass of a spider and call that one spider, b) that all spiders are as large as medium-size tarantulas, when in fact most of the spiders eaten each year are significantly smaller, and c) that spiders that crawl into your mouth while you are asleep don't count as having been eaten. But without making such wild assumptions, one can only say that the average person eats 10-12 whole spiders a year, and some two to three pounds of miscellaneous spider parts.

http://www.all-lies.com/legends/animals/insects/eatingspiders.shtml

wifie
11-Jun-08, 09:24
[quote=helenwyler;394405]Anybody ever heard the rumour that we swallow on average eight spiders a year? They're supposed to crawl into our open mouths when we're asleep.

Well it's not true........and yet, maybe it is! :eek:

Gee thanks was eating muesli when I read this! :confused

Och well my Dad says we eat a ton of a certain substance in a lifetime! I say what doesn't kill us makes us stronger ;)

Uli
11-Jun-08, 11:08
Tongue and hearts of various animals, mainly Elk (Moose) and Reindeer usually dried or smoked or salted... not a fan as i dislike the texture...

Horse. Yup, eaten it and despite my love of living horses must admit that it was ncie enough to have been eaten more than once.

Bear which if I remember right was very, very fatty

and last but not least http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstromming which, despite having grown up where it is considered a delicacy, I only ever tried once and refuse to try ever again... as if the stench of it was not enough! :confused

Ricco
11-Jun-08, 12:07
Frog legs, snake and 100yr old eggs (they were gross!)

honey
11-Jun-08, 13:53
Is strange Honey but I don't consider ostrich unusual now as it is available at a farmer's market I go to. I like it and the bonus is it is apparently low fat and low cholesterol - I say give it a go if you get a chance. Did you enjoy it Honey?

i thought it was a bit strong when i tasted it, but it was years ago...

scotsboy
11-Jun-08, 15:10
I was working in very remote areas of the Steppe in Kazakstan, and the local contractors food supplies were minimal to say the least - so some of the crew went and shot a Saiga Antelope

http://www.wildlifeextra.com/images/saiga-kazakh.JPG

We ate it later that night, and I have some graphic pictures of it being skinned, butchered and cooked (by the way the one in the picture is not the one I ate). Anyway I have since found out that this is an endangered species:(

golach
11-Jun-08, 15:18
I was working in very remote areas of the Steppe in Kazakstan, and the local contractors food supplies were minimal to say the least - so some of the crew went and shot a Saiga Antelope

We ate it later that night, and I have some graphic pictures of it being skinned, butchered and cooked (by the way the one in the picture is not the one I ate). Anyway I have since found out that this is an endangered species:(
Scotsboy, is that not a Wetherspoons steak on the hoof? [lol]

scotsboy
11-Jun-08, 15:28
Scotsboy, is that not a Wetherspoons steak on the hoof? [lol]

Not sure (never haven eaten a Weatherspoons Steak), but they had to soak the meat in a salty water to try and soften it up, but it was still very tough.

oldmarine
12-Jun-08, 01:08
Blood pudding in Iceland and Rocky Mountain oysters in Colorado, USA.

sassylass
12-Jun-08, 02:20
Was it crunchy, squishy or a bit of both ??

Hard to tell really, it flew in and took a couple quick turns around my mouth before going straight down the gullet. I recall a rather sour, scaly, dusty sensation. Lesson: never sing whilst running.