PDA

View Full Version : Personal, oddest food combinations

mccaugm
09-Jun-08, 18:59
Whats your oddest food combination?

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=50453

Someone recommended strawberries from Halkirk and suggested that they were best served sprinkled with pepper.

My dad always liked sandwiches with bananas and wholegrain peanut butter, found this a little odd.

Can't think of anything particularly odd that I eat.

unicorn
09-Jun-08, 19:04
my grandad liked cheese and banana on toast :confused

catnip
09-Jun-08, 19:04
When I was younger I always made myself a piece with jam and rice crispies !

Dont knock untill you try !!!!!!

unicorn
09-Jun-08, 19:06
cheese sandwiches with ready salted crisps is about as odd as it gets here I think:confused

BRIE
09-Jun-08, 19:08
ham & banana sandwiches was my odd choice!

binbob
09-Jun-08, 19:09
beetroot sandwiches...

George Brims
09-Jun-08, 19:14
Someone recommended strawberries from Halkirk and suggested that they were best served sprinkled with pepper.

I've tried that. It has to be white pepper BTW. It is actually quite an interesting combination.

A mate of mine in college used to eat banana sandwiches with Heinz salad cream.

In Mexican restaurants over here they serve a dish called chicken mole (pronounced mo-lay - I can't figure how to type the accent thingy). It uses unsweetened chocolate as a herb. Yep, chocolate chicken. And it works.

Since I can't think of an odd combination I eat myself, I think I will start another thread on what is the single weirdest item you have eaten.

unicorn
09-Jun-08, 19:27
Toilet roll when I was pregnant :lol: I forgot about that. :lol:

floyed
09-Jun-08, 19:29
A bite of Dairy Milk Chocolate and then a bite of cheese and onion crisps it is delicious.

Ash
09-Jun-08, 19:31
A bite of Dairy Milk Chocolate and then a bite of cheese and onion crisps it is delicious.

totally agree, any flavour for me, eating quavers and a piece of galaxy mmm heaven :D

Billy Boy
09-Jun-08, 19:50
Toilet roll when I was pregnant I forgot about that.

was that because of all the crap you talk lol :eek: [lol]

unicorn
09-Jun-08, 19:52
oooooooooooooh living dangerously Mr B [lol]

balto
09-Jun-08, 19:59
totally agree, any flavour for me, eating quavers and a piece of galaxy mmm heaven :D
aye, for me it is ready salted crisps and a piece of diary milk, just lovely

bobandag16
09-Jun-08, 20:03

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=50453

My dad always liked sandwiches with bananas and wholegrain peanut butter, found this a little odd.

Can't think of anything particularly odd that I eat.
cheese and jam is nice

Billy Boy
09-Jun-08, 20:09
oooooooooooooh living dangerously Mr B [lol]

You honestly didnt think a would miss an oppertunity like that lol ;) [lol]

Julia
09-Jun-08, 20:16
Blackpool rock and ice cold milk :Razz

Thumper
09-Jun-08, 20:25
Mine are onion ring crisps and icecream,fried egg and pickled onion sandwiches,crackers with philadelphia and peanuts,cheese and carrot sarnies.....all the normal stuff x

airdlass
09-Jun-08, 20:28
sugar pieces:eek:

Solus
09-Jun-08, 20:28
Strawberries with pepper was a tip given to me ages ago from some German friends, seems its more popular than some may think. Bit like salt on your tomatoes, brings out all the flavour.

As for odd food combo's, strawberry jam and ready salted crisp sannie :)

Venture
09-Jun-08, 20:37
Toilet roll when I was pregnant :lol: I forgot about that. :lol:

As soon as I read your reply unicorn it reminded of a woman I knew many years ago who ate Germolene when she was pregnant. I think I feel sick at the thought of it.

Ever tried strawberries and prawns together with a little seafood sauce? Really nice.

liz19
09-Jun-08, 20:41
I like this combo as well and when i was a lot younger I used to eat fish fingers and strawberry jam sandwiches (don't ask just remember liking it lol )

NLP
09-Jun-08, 20:43
banana and beef crisp sandwich

Thumper
09-Jun-08, 20:44
Just remembered when I was little I used to go out to the butchers van and get a raw sausage and eat it :eek: didnt harm me tho [lol] x

hotrod4
09-Jun-08, 20:45
The wife used to put Coke into heinz oxtail soup and she assured me it was nice!!!.
Also when pregnant she used to like a "JP"-johnstones pie with jam on the top!!

tisme
09-Jun-08, 20:55
A slab of cheddar cheese, topped with cold neeps and a splash of salad cream. hmm hmm.......

joxville
10-Jun-08, 00:41
Occassionally at work, just to see people faces and reactions, I'll have a Ginster's Peppered Steak Slice and dip it in yoghurt, banana dipped in Pot Noodle or break a bit of Yorkie, put it on toast and cover with cheese then melt in grill-delicious.:D

Lord Flasheart
10-Jun-08, 09:06
Mine are onion ring crisps and icecream,fried egg and pickled onion sandwiches,crackers with philadelphia and peanuts,cheese and carrot sarnies.....all the normal stuff x

You have committed a heinous crime there Thumps .. putting pickled onions on the sacred "Egg Banjo" .. :( .. The ONLY thing that should be on an egg banjo is your fingers as you bite down and stream the yolk down the front of your t-shirt. Its a badge of honour that is. I take it you make sure the room is well ventilated before munching down on fried eggs and pickled onions ?? .. *parp* .. :Razz

I get funny looks though when I scrunch up a bag of tomato sauce flavour crisps, mix with dairlylea and spread on my sandwich. Its also not bad toasted.

mccaugm
10-Jun-08, 09:10

I think you need help...LOL!

Thumper
10-Jun-08, 09:33
Ahh dear Lord F....well you see i dont like a runny egg so I cannot join the realms of such a sacred tradition.As for well ventilated...have you ever been in a burrow?They are very draughty...sometimes more than others [lol]
mccaugm......I think I am way past help ;) x

beephope
10-Jun-08, 10:07
I have marmite with a lot of things, marmalade (known as marmamite), peanut butter, jam, honey, and my favourite which is marmite and tuna salad sandwiches.

i also put balsamic vinegar on strawberries

sjr014
10-Jun-08, 11:10
not so much the combination, but have to eat things in a particular way! For example if i have a twix got to eat biscuit part first and caramel last! Do at with lots of food, anyone else do at?

Lord Flasheart
10-Jun-08, 12:09
not so much the combination, but have to eat things in a particular way! For example if i have a twix got to eat biscuit part first and caramel last! Do at with lots of food, anyone else do at?

Kind of.

I like breaking into the Twix packet of how can I put this, one of the chubbier people I work with and eating it. I then blu tack it to the desk and blow in it so it looks puffed out and full. The look on his face when he picks it up is classic, sometimes I think he might actually cry.

Either that or I eat all the toffee off the top and put the drool encrusted choclate bases back in the packet, the way I see it I am doing him a favour .. [evil]

Sapphire2803
10-Jun-08, 12:41
I have marmite with a lot of things, marmalade (known as marmamite), peanut butter, jam, honey, and my favourite which is marmite and tuna salad sandwiches.

i also put balsamic vinegar on strawberries

My hubby loves marmite and peanut butter sarnies, he calls them poo sarnies (sort of) because of how they look once the fillings have mixed. :eek:
He also eats bourbon biccies wrapped in cheese singles.

I suppose my strangest one is probably tinned tomatoes on toast or maybe beetroot and cheese sarnies

Tilter
10-Jun-08, 16:17
Grits, streaky bacon, runny fried eggs and pancakes all sloshed over with maple syrup (as apparently enjoyed by millions of Americans). Yuk.

mccaugm
10-Jun-08, 17:23
Crikey, used to eat that in the Pancake Place in Inverness...and it seemed normal, pancakes, syrup with a fry-up. Yummm

bky
10-Jun-08, 19:49
My personal favourites are :- a hot Johnstons pie on a cheese roll or a battered red pudding on a cheese piece

arana negra
10-Sep-08, 09:51
Ohhh so I am not so wierd after all [lol]

cheese beano has to be cheddar ( or cheese slices when they tasted like cheese)

piece an sugar or thousand and ones, chocolate vermicelli

cheese and jam best with good brie

cheese and fruit prefer crumply lancashire for this one

sugar on tomatoes ( they are a fruit)

Crisps and cheese piece, smokey bacon and good scottish cheddar

Cadburys flake on its own on a piece or with banana

cracker with philly cheese then prawn then caviar

cracker with pepper Boursin and slice of orange straight from tree :D

Nibbler
10-Sep-08, 10:02
I used to love these - dont eat them so often anymore cos the other half thinks I am plain bonkers but I will get him to have a look at this and he might see me a bit more normal!! (BTW, what is normal :lol:)

It starts off as normal cheese on toast but on the plain side of toast, spread some syrup. Slap together with the melted cheese slice of toast and mmmmmm. The syrup starts to run out of the toastie and ooh, lovely. The crusts are great for cleaning the plate up afterwards as the syrup has dripped onto it!!!

My stomach is starting to rumble. Catch you lot later :lol:

arana negra
10-Sep-08, 10:09
sounds good to me nibbler :)

normal ehhhmmmmm thats a tricky one

Welcomefamily
10-Sep-08, 11:01
My hubby loves marmite and peanut butter sarnies, he calls them poo sarnies (sort of) because of how they look once the fillings have mixed. :eek:
He also eats bourbon biccies wrapped in cheese singles.

I suppose my strangest one is probably tinned tomatoes on toast or maybe beetroot and cheese sarnies

We both love cheese and beetroot, however I love cheese and mustard and cheese and red chillies. Banana and sweet chilli sandwiches are nice as well.

justine
10-Sep-08, 11:15
I am a lover of chips with custard. or if in macdonalds i love to eat my fries with the milkshake.

teenybash
10-Sep-08, 11:27
Creamy mashed potaoes with pineapple does it for me..............

router
10-Sep-08, 12:01
sandwiches made with chopped ham and pork or cooked ham with peanut butter,smooth or crunchy.

Angel
10-Sep-08, 22:13
I used to drink Newcastle Brown Ale with liqourice sticks... And then I disvovered Whiskey with Fanta Tropical fruit... but the have stopped doing that now...

My grandmother used to eat bread with a tin of peaches...

My OH would have silverskin onions and cornflakes...

Angel

teenybash
10-Sep-08, 23:05
Here's another tastebud treat....banana, jam and peanut butter on toast.....scrummmmmm:Razz

Lolabelle
12-Sep-08, 00:28
Vegemite and garlic butter on a hot bread roll with chips (crisps)

It's really yummy, but I can't eat it anymore as I can't eat bread, chips or vegemite. And garlic butter on it's own just isn't the same!:~(

scorrie
12-Sep-08, 01:02
Vegemite and garlic butter on a hot bread roll with chips (crisps)

It's really yummy, but I can't eat it anymore as I can't eat bread, chips or vegemite. And garlic butter on it's own just isn't the same!:~(

You could always try humble pie and the truth. Then again, that is an odd, and rare, combination ;)

TBH
12-Sep-08, 01:11
I am a lover of chips with custard. or if in macdonalds i love to eat my fries with the milkshake.Wouldn't you rather use a fork?

Lolabelle
12-Sep-08, 04:03
You could always try humble pie and the truth. Then again, that is an odd, and rare, combination ;)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. :p

tracy ann
19-Sep-08, 20:13
Bourban biscuits with philly cheese on the top - Note cheese has to be twice as thick as the biscuit!!! - YUM :D