falter 8.15-9.15

crimsontide 9.30-10.30

bad reputations 10.45-11.45

gee
09-Jun-08, 17:03
well done. looks like a brill line up.

lagertops
11-Jun-08, 23:09
Hope there is a good turn out this year.Noticed Belladrum is on the same date!

It's free to camp at the dammies tho! lol

Blast!
13-Jun-08, 12:48
It'll be Belladrum for me thanks.

Was the date of Belladrum not known when the date for the Big Gig was decided? If it was then that's a major oversight that should never have been allowed.

Metalattakk
13-Jun-08, 13:18
I'm agree. They should have moved the whole gala week to accommodate Belladrum.

:roll:

Gleber2
13-Jun-08, 13:23
The Big Gig has clashed with Belladrum for three years and TTA are fully aware of this. It would be better to have the BG on the first Saturday of the Gala Week but they are at a loss as to how to close the week. Seriously crazy but there you have it!!!!

BigKev
14-Jun-08, 12:43
Correct me if im wrong but is the procession (floats, queen etc) not held on the first saturday?

If they were held on the same day as each other the potential crowd would be split between the two, also i doubt there would be enough organisational people to go round.

Anyway, im quite sure that the Big Gig is not in competition with Belladrum. The Big Gig is held locally, run locally, for charitable purposes, and is made up of local talent. Belladrum is held in the middle of nowhere, run by proffessionals, takes in touring acts, some big names, and its all in the interest of making cash for commercial gain.

Its just unlucky that they do fall on the same date, as gleber said, this has been so since the big gig started.

Gleber2
14-Jun-08, 13:05
The BG might not be in competition with Belladrum but never the less suffers badly crowdwise because it's on the same day.

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Jun-08, 16:21
A lack of foresight on the organisers' behalf? Shock! Horror! Bella, for what it's worth, make very little out of it all personally. Am sure Belladrum - a very well-run family-orientated festival in my view - will pull a couple hundred folk from the Caithness area, possibly more.

gee
14-Jun-08, 18:00
you may be right but how about gving local bands a bit of encouragement. good on them for getting the big gig together.

well done guys

Jeid
14-Jun-08, 19:35
you may be right but how about gving local bands a bit of encouragement. good on them for getting the big gig together.

well done guys

No offense to the bands, but you're giving the plaudits to the wrong people. The TTIA and the sound guys deserve the most credit. They're the ones who pull this all together.

K dragon
14-Jun-08, 21:27
cheers jeid.

gee
14-Jun-08, 22:15
sorry i was misundersttod by what i wrote. i think you all doing a fantastic job. i know it involves a lot more than bands alone to organise an event and well done to all.

Chobbersjnr
15-Jun-08, 06:05
No offense to the bands, but you're giving the plaudits to the wrong people. The TTIA and the sound guys deserve the most credit. They're the ones who pull this all together.

Agreed. & the basic point being made is quite obvious but it's old ground that frankly is 3 years old & reminds me of leopards & spots

never seen a stripey leopard

that reminds me I'm on the desk. Yeesh I hope the leopards are caged

appleskin
15-Jun-08, 14:02
all the big gig needs is good weather and i,m sure it will be succesful why do some people want it to fail,i have watched and been part of the caithness music sence for thirty years there,s a lot of bad vibes in it at this time,could someone explain why,it was never like this before.

zebedy
15-Jun-08, 14:13
Everyone competes, EGOS Clash, But in all fairness, I think it gives it a bit of spice zbzbzbzbzbz

IMO Is is rediculous, But gives us some juicy reading on the org? :P

appleskin
15-Jun-08, 19:14
what,s going on here is more than that,i,ve been around some big ego,s on my travels,whats,happing here is not only causing a split between bands but also between their employers in thurso the pub owners,if one band plays in acertain bar,it means another bar won,t book them or vice,versa caithness mucians should stick together,because in the bigger picture,there,s not very many of them.

the_big_mac
15-Jun-08, 19:21
what,s going on here is more than that,i,ve been around some big ego,s on my travels,whats,happing here is not only causing a split between bands but also between their employers in thurso the pub owners,if one band plays in acertain bar,it means another bar won,t book them or vice,versa caithness mucians should stick together,because in the bigger picture,there,s not very many of them.

I would love to know a true example of that?!

Sounds to me your talking urine.

theone
15-Jun-08, 20:00

Nonsense.

Most of the local pub owners in Thurso get along fine.

When I used to work in the central the staff of the Newmarket and Holburn would regularly "borow" kegs if they ran out.

To think the bar owners are so petty as to use bands as pawns in some sort of "pub wars" is ridiculous.

appleskin
15-Jun-08, 20:04
I would love to know a true example of that?!

Sounds to me your talking urine.
is there no truth in what i,m saying is that what you,re trying to say,no need to be so rude.

Jeid
15-Jun-08, 23:20
I think if you're going to make such a statement, these people would maybe be looking for some form of evidence to back it up.

appleskin
15-Jun-08, 23:23
Nonsense.

When I used to work in the central the staff of the Newmarket and Holburn would regularly "borow" kegs if they ran out.

To think the bar owners are so petty as to use bands as pawns in some sort of "pub wars" is ridiculous.
i never named a bars name,nor a band,and i did say or vice versa,but they are 2 venues in thurso who have well deserved good names in thurso for giving bands a chance to play that afew good local acts are not playing therebut the big gig is nearly soley made up with them,if bands are limited to what venues they will play then pups are limited to what bands they can hire and lose out on new crowds and money,the same for the bands and when resources are limited friction can happen,i,m not trying to offend any one and i might be wrong,but with all the fuss thats going on over the big gig i might be right.

appleskin
15-Jun-08, 23:29
I think if you're going to make such a statement, these people would maybe be looking for some form of evidence to back it up.
are you working for the F.B.I or something.

Jeid
15-Jun-08, 23:58
I'll ask the questions ;)

I think you're making a bit of generalised statement based on very limited facts. I'm sure the others think the same which is why they've come and questioned your comments.

The Caithness rumour mill can give you misleading information, I know that.

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Jun-08, 01:05
Nonsense.

I'd say at least one bar owner is petty. My Dad once asked Brian Cardosi for some ice-cubes one evening and was promptly told "No." To think, for all the years my Dad pumped money into that bar and Cardosi begrudged him some ice-cubes? Well... the word petty does spring to mind. Still, it's that kind of attitude that makes you money, so nuff said.

theone
16-Jun-08, 01:31
I'd say at least one bar owner is petty. My Dad once asked Brian Cardosi for some ice-cubes one evening and was promptly told "No." To think, for all the years my Dad pumped money into that bar and Cardosi begrudged him some ice-cubes? Well... the word petty does spring to mind. Still, it's that kind of attitude that makes you money, so nuff said.

Well, as I've said, when I worked for Brian he always sent the other pubs a keg of Guiness when they were dry. Going back to my original point, if he's willing to do this for "the competition", and the other bars reciprocate, I don't believe they are not going to allow a band to play in their venues simply because they've played somewhere else.

There isn't a great pub music scene in Thurso, but I don't think it's the fault of the pubs. The drinking culture has changed so much in the last decade or so. I remember going in to the bowling alley at 8pm on a Saturday night in 96,97 (They were good for bands) you couldn't move it was so busy. Find me a pub that's mobbed at that time now. The town doesn't pick up on a Saturday now until at least 10 or 10.30. Come 11.30 they're all off to Skinandis.

On another point, I also remember giving away many a carrier bag of ice cubes! For Brian to have done this I'm should he had a reason, rightly or wrongly. I doubt it was out of pettiness.