PDA

View Full Version : 30 mph Speed Restriction for Reay?

Rheghead
09-Jun-08, 11:08
Will you support a campaign for a 30mph speed restriction through Reay? Melvich has one and yet Reay doesn't but has a primary school, a church on a nasty bend and a shop where an accident could occur involving a child.

tootler
09-Jun-08, 11:10
Of course we would!!

I'm really surprised that Reay doesn't have a 30mph limit already - why ever not?

Valerie Campbell
09-Jun-08, 11:37
I would support you all the way, Rheghead. Like Tootler, I'm surprised there isn't a 30mph restriction.

twiglet
09-Jun-08, 12:21
Think that a speed restiction is long overdue in Reay. Smaller villages have them, surprised there was not one in place already.

tootler
09-Jun-08, 13:27
Someone has voted against a 30mph limit in the poll - come on out of the woodwork and tell us all why?

I'm pretty open minded but I can't think of a single reason why anyone could think a 30mph limit's a bad idea for a built up area.

Most of the schools in Caithness now have a 20mph limit outside them. Why has Reay Primary not got the same?

camor
09-Jun-08, 13:29
Reay primary does have a 20mph limit.

William
09-Jun-08, 14:41
If there is the 20mph signs there for when the kids are likely to be about then what's the problem it's not like it's a really busy road and the swing park where the younger people play(not that it's up to much like alot of swingparks these days) is right in the back away from the main road

gollach
09-Jun-08, 20:48
Think that a speed restiction is long overdue in Reay. Smaller villages have them, surprised there was not one in place already.

Doesn't Reay have a speed restriction already?

I thought the limit was currently 40mph in Reay and I assume this poll is to gauge support for a lowering to 30mph?

rfr10
09-Jun-08, 21:14
Yes, as transport convener for Highland Youth Voice, I'm very keen to promote road safety aswell. Need any help, then let me know.

joxville
10-Jun-08, 00:11
Someone has voted against a 30mph limit in the poll - come on out of the woodwork and tell us all why?

It wisnae me, I voted for a reduction.

linkside
10-Jun-08, 00:27
I'm in full agreement, there should be a lowering of the limit.
Many times I've seen drivers going through at 50mph, and as the 'season' is about to start there will be more traffic on the road (which if I may say so IS a busy one already), and of course the 'blind' junctions that we have in Reay.

Rheghead
10-Jun-08, 03:23
Yes, as transport convener for Highland Youth Voice, I'm very keen to promote road safety aswell. Need any help, then let me know.

Let me know how I best I can get the ball rolling to get the speed limit reduced.:)

Linkside, I too have seen them drive at ~50 mph, they are the ones that really bug me, if the speed was 30mph then I suppose we could live with them going through at 40mph.

Sporran
10-Jun-08, 05:40
Will you support a campaign for a 30mph speed restriction through Reay? Melvich has one and yet Reay doesn't but has a primary school, a church on a nasty bend and a shop where an accident could occur involving a child.

You have my full support, Rheghead. It's high time it was lowered to 30 mph or less!

silverfox57
10-Jun-08, 06:53
having just driven though reay forty mph to school, 20mph at school,then road turning of at right 30mph.but main road back to 40mph,lost count of dead rabbits on that part of reay,

rfr10
10-Jun-08, 16:12
Let me know how I best I can get the ball rolling to get the speed limit reduced.:)

Linkside, I too have seen them drive at ~50 mph, they are the ones that really bug me, if the speed was 30mph then I suppose we could live with them going through at 40mph.

If after contacting the Highland Council, TECS department to receive their views on this, you are still un-convinced, I'd recommend you start a petition firstly to the Highland Council and usually if your local authority fail to act on the petition, you would use the public petitions service for the Scottish Parliament in order for them to act. A petition, with enough signatures and statement to support the petition, is likely to see success. Although the Scottish Parliament have received petitions with as little as one signature, the more you get, the better as it shows how much support their is. If you want any information about setting up a petition, contact me. I can help you set one up to the Highland Council or the Scottish Parliament.