PDA

View Full Version : crazy crossstitchers

solastar
08-Jun-03, 20:25
Anyone into cross stitching? If so what are you doing and have you any tips to pass on to any other fellow stitchers?

At the moment i am busy doing a family sampler! boy it requires concentration...... but is sheer pleasure to do.

What are you making?

Maybe if we have enought stitchers we could have a yap on the chat once a fortnight?

any thoughts or ideas,feel free

solastar

Jenni
08-Jun-03, 20:53
Hi solostar

I have been known to dabble at cross-stitch from time to time. I mainly do animals - kittens, puppies etc. I haven't finished anything recently because everytime I take it out my 8 year old daughter shows an interest and whines on about how she would like to do it. I am ashamed to say I haven't the patience to keep correcting her mistakes so I have hidden mine away ;)

Anonymous
09-Jun-03, 07:05
I'm just a beginner myself, so I would be looking for tips as well. Actually haven't done much lately, no time with two little boys. I should start practising again, I could not get the hang of those "french knots" mine almost disappear.

Shalom
21-Jun-03, 16:23
Hi! I love cross stitch too. My favourites are the Jeremiah Junction designs as they use whole stitches but are not blocky looking like so many British designs.
eBay is a great place to find cheap cross stitch kits and pattern booklets. I just got one for 40p (new) that cost £3.70. I have also bought some really cheap kits on there. Just go to the eBay UK site and type "cross stitch" into the search box and you'll find pages galore of cross stitch stuff!
I mostly do smallish pictures so that I can finish sooner and start another!
My favourite tip is to put the two cut ends of the thread into the eye of the needle and go through to the back of the aida or linen and take the needle through the loop. That makes it secure and saves you stitching over a length of thread to secure it.

solastar
22-Jun-03, 21:14
Thankyou for your replies, i myself like to get my teeth into a nice BIG project!
Thanks for the tip(margaret) the loop method is one of my favourite! it saves having to tie all those threads in.

At the moment i am doing a surprise for loafers family! i cannot say until it is finished, so far i have spent 110 stitching hours on it!

HAPPY STITCHING FOLKIES XX

trevor
23-Jun-03, 16:02
Hi! Wonderful to find some other cross stitchers!

I am disabled with Fibromyalgia, so unable to stich for very long due to the pain in my hands, but I find cross stitch very satisfying and therapeutic.

I mainly stitch cards and small projects, but have 2 bigger projects on the go, a Winnie the Pooh Sampler and a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel picture - we have 2 of these gorgeous dogs, my other obsession! Anyone have any tips as to how to keep dog hair out of your stitching?!!!

I also enjoy using waste canvas, and have sitched on fleece blankets, towels, bibs, hats and other items of clothing. My tip is to use a sharp needle, rather than the usual blunt needles. Also if using 10 or 12 count waste canvas, stitch through the small holes rather than the bigger ones, to keep stitches much neater.

I enjoy some of the cross stitch magazines, and shopping on the Internet for the goodies!! My recent best purchase was the Daylight Ultimate Lamp at 25% off!

Happy Stitching!

Nicki {Trevor's wife, I haven't persuaded him to learn yet!}