PDA

View Full Version : new puppy

telfordstar
08-Jun-08, 19:36
Me and hubby were considering getting a puppy or the family. My favorite choice was a shih tzu ive always wanted one but hubbys not keen. Is their any shih tzu owners out there with any advice about them ie are the good with kids as we have 3, what kind o temperment to they have etc. Are there any breeders in north of scotland? Thanking you all in advance.

ciderally
08-Jun-08, 19:45
ah good luck with your new family member...im sure there will be someone on here that know the breed..

porshiepoo
08-Jun-08, 21:14
We have a female Shih Tzu and I have to say that although she wouldn't normally have been our first choice of breed, we think she's great!
She was already 2 when we got her so she came with some baggage but we've managed to iron those out and she's now brilliant. She still has the odd problem and if we don't keep on top of it constantly then she very quickly and easily gets worse.

Temperament wise, she's great! Again she had the odd foible when we got her but due to her age I can't say whether they are typical of her breed. She barks at everything and nothing and tends to want to go for peoples ankles on the way out of the house, so we have to be very assertive with her. She will also take on the GSD's if she thinks they look cross ways at her.
They are very ugly as far as I am concerned, but that just makes her all the cuter. :lol: and the puppies are to die for.!!!!!!!!

All in all, a great, fun breed I think, just don't think that a small breed needs smaller walks! This one keeps up with the shepherds no probs. :eek:

As for breeders here, haven't a clue, sorry!
Good Luck though.

telfordstar
08-Jun-08, 21:18
We have a female Shih Tzu and I have to say that although she wouldn't normally have been our first choice of breed, we think she's great!
She was already 2 when we got her so she came with some baggage but we've managed to iron those out and she's now brilliant. She still has the odd problem and if we don't keep on top of it constantly then she very quickly and easily gets worse.

Temperament wise, she's great! Again she had the odd foible when we got her but due to her age I can't say whether they are typical of her breed. She barks at everything and nothing and tends to want to go for peoples ankles on the way out of the house, so we have to be very assertive with her. She will also take on the GSD's if she thinks they look cross ways at her.
They are very ugly as far as I am concerned, but that just makes her all the cuter. :lol: and the puppies are to die for.!!!!!!!!

All in all, a great, fun breed I think, just don't think that a small breed needs smaller walks! This one keeps up with the shepherds no probs. :eek:

As for breeders here, haven't a clue, sorry!
Good Luck though.

Thanks for that it really helps alot i must do a bit more reaserch on them but so far that is the one im going to go for:D

Margaret M.
09-Jun-08, 01:36
I have two rescue Shih Tzus-- they are a bonded pair and they are absolutely wonderful. They are snuggly, fun, and cute as can be. They are fairly high maintenance. They do not shed at all but grooming is necessary -- my two have the puppy cut and are groomed once every 6 weeks. They do not bark unless someone comes to the door so I do not find them to be yappy dogs, particularly for a toy breed.

I am very careful when they are around children since Shih Tzus I've had in the past would snap/bite if there was a quick movement and they felt threatened. I think their size maybe makes them a little more fearful of the unpredictable behaviour of children. If your children are old enough to understand what behaviours are not a good idea around a small dog, a Shih Tzu would be a good choice. If you have a baby or wee toddlers, Shih Tzu puppies are far from the best choice. Even Shih Tzu adults may feel overwhelmed by the loud voices and quick movements that children make and it may result in stress, shyness or defensive biting. One of mine gets very scared when she hears a child's voice other than the children with whom she is very familiar. Something must have happened before I got her to make her so fearful.

Although they are a sturdy breed, they can not take much rough handling. Their shallow set eyes are very vulnerable to injury and it is very easy to step on and injure a wee doggy. The breed is prone to a number of health issues including joint problems, kidney problems, back problems as well as some breathing issues.

porshiepoo
09-Jun-08, 07:28
Oh Yes, and snore!!!!!!!!!!!! Imagine, if you will, a pneumatic drill that you have no control over! :eek: Yep, they're that bad. Well this one is at any rate, but it's a result of the breed being bred with squishy squashy faces.:(

veekay
09-Jun-08, 14:22
[quote=porshiepoo;393678]Oh Yes, and snore!!!!!!!!!!!! Imagine, if you will, a pneumatic drill that you have no control over! :eek:

Sure you don't have my other half in the house porshiepoo!