PDA

View Full Version : Boris Johnson etc

peter macdonald
08-Jun-08, 10:25
http://news.scotsman.com/latestnews/Boris-blunders-into-subsidy-row.4163484.jp

Looks like as things get tougher down south the blame is being cast north .Boris is just getting on the same soapbox as the New Labour party MPs who are moaning about their Scots cabinet members not appealing to "middle England" (whoever/whatever that is)
Boris should try reading the Guardian

Public spending per head

London £9748
Scotland £9631

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2007/nov/03/scotland.devolution

Either that or ask himself who is paying for the Olympics?? or the rejig of the Jubilee line ??

Oh yes I forgot these projects are to benefit the "whole country" ........just like North Sea oil

PM

Lord Flasheart
08-Jun-08, 10:32
Same old same old isnt it ??

Had this conversation many a time with English work colleagues and I just remind them that no one in "middle england" gave a hoot when we got the poll tax first under maggie, in fact it was thanks to them that happened as there werent many tory voters in scotland. Its also funny that they whinge away about the cost of Scotland but are the first to oppose scottish independence.

Saying that I like Boris though as he is clearly a little bit bonkers and I can relate.

joxville
08-Jun-08, 10:53
Saying that I like Boris though as he is clearly a little bit bonkers and I can relate.

Me too, however this has annoyed me so I shall go out to the back garden and burn the one and only book I possess by Boris, since an effigy would take too long to make. Plus it's such a nice day.

MadPict
08-Jun-08, 11:14
Why can't he say these things? He is now Mayor Of London and he is giving up his parliamentary seat so his first duty is to the residents of London.

As for all the Scots in cabinet - I know it pisses a lot of folk off down here so maybe he is just voicing the concerns of the common man.

peter macdonald
08-Jun-08, 11:28
He is fully within his rights to say what he thinks ..its just a pity he doesnt check his facts first....or realise that as the most powerful Conservative politician in the UK that there are Conservative voters north of the border who he will alienate with this nonsense

As for the Scots in the cabinet well as Stephen Ladyman on radio 5 and Frank field in the Telegraph proved the blame has to be laid somewhere and the 4 Scots out of 20 odd in the cabinet seem to be the target Not that I think these 4 aere any good its just a shame they have left the rest alone
Keith Vaz has been calling for an English deputy prime minister namely Jack Straw ...... an interesting choice .......not good news if your a muslem lassie or a freemason though
PM

MadPict
08-Jun-08, 11:50
Turn the table around - how many non-Scots are sitting in the Scottish Parliament?
Here is the make-up of the Scottish parliament -
Scottish National Party (47)
Scottish Labour Party (46)
Scottish Conservative Party (16)
Scottish Liberal Democrats (16)
Scottish Green Party (2)
Independent (1)

joxville
08-Jun-08, 12:00
Turn the table around - how many non-Scots are sitting in the Scottish Parliament?
Here is the make-up of the Scottish parliament -
Scottish National Party (47)
Scottish Labour Party (46)
Scottish Conservative Party (16)
Scottish Liberal Democrats (16)
Scottish Green Party (2)
Independent (1)

I don't care what their nationality is, none of them are coming to my BBQ this afternoon. The rest of you are invited though.:D

peter macdonald
08-Jun-08, 12:03
Mike Russell the SNP environment minister in the Scots government is from Bromley Kent but my point is that there is becoming a blame culture as things get tougher ...I also dont like the idea of policies being made to suit "middle England" for whom the problems facing the fishing industry ,rural post office closures , and the fact that there are only 2 dairy farms left in Caithness (out of over a hundred a few years ago) will hardly be at the top of their priorities
PM

squidge
08-Jun-08, 12:13
Then isn't it our job to lobby our elected members of whatever parliament and ensure issues that affect US are top of the agenda instead of sitting on our bottoms and moaning that things are not how we would like them. (That's the all encompassing "we" btw and isnt aimed at anyone in particular). As a society we are losing interest in politics. What happens then is those that shout the loudest get the most coverage and the most concessions. Those that dont get all the blame. London have just had an interesting and hard fought election for mayor with two of the most erm...interesting politicians the country has. There has been and is interest from the public about that. The rest of us look at our grey men in dark suits and yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn.

MadPict
08-Jun-08, 12:14
One out of 129 - not bad....

Well, rural post offices are being closed down here at an alarming rate. So I see that as a national problem.

I don't disagree with your points - things are getting tough across the board. But advancements in the dairy industry probably account for the loss of dairy farms in Caithness. 100 years later we have fridges, refridgerated transport, better distribution, larger tankers and probably a dozen other reasons as to why there is only 2 left today.

As long as those 2 continue to exist to provide for Caithness - if they close because of falling milk prices or because the supermarkets are selling their own cheaper milk (sourced in the south/abroad) then that is another issue. I suspect that if they are closed down they will have been driven out of business by the likes of Tesco et al who are being welcomed with open arms by the consumer.

peter macdonald
08-Jun-08, 12:36
Squidge I totally agree with you on a UK basis but I hear a few younger people taking about politics nowadays ..something I hadnt done in a while ...mind you its not all positive!!!
Mad pict so its OK if things go pear shaped up here to blame Mike Russell?? and leave the rest of the cabinet alone ??
The examples I gave are the problems I see but I expect a government to govern not just adjust its stance to pander to a section of society to ensure its continuance in power
PM

MadPict
08-Jun-08, 12:56
If it is related to the 'environment' - yes, I guess you could.

But, in the Cabinet, 'we' have Gordon Brown (PM), Alistair Darling (Chancellor), Des Browne (Scottish Secretary and Defence Secretary) and Douglas Alexander (International Development Secretary).

And isn't that what they are doing? Adjusting their stance to remain in power?

percy toboggan
08-Jun-08, 15:26
Same old same old isnt it ??
........Its also funny that they whinge away about the cost of Scotland but are the first to oppose scottish independence.

Given your first sentiments mi'lud so many south of the border will agree with you. The majority, in my guesstimation would willingly be rid of Scotland. Sad but true. I support the union strongly but the man in the street in Brixton, or Croydon for instance knows little of the land and cares less. Middle England is heartily sick of what is seen as Scottish moaning when the material benefits of living their become clearer by the month....imagined or otherwise.
Any referendum down here would see Scotland cut adrift. That is why I hope it never happens. The average 'English' resident is not competent to comment on the matter, let alone vote upon it.

northener
08-Jun-08, 16:18
.......... The average 'English' resident is not competent to comment on the matter, let alone vote upon it.

Sad but very true, Percy. The average English person spends a hell of a lot less time cogitating on Scotland and its politics then the equivalent Scot spends on England.

twiglet
08-Jun-08, 16:32
As things get tougher for many of us, surely it is only natural that we all tend to focus on our own little corner of the uk, wherever we may be. Some don't vote because they have simply given up. The two main political parties are starting to sound quite similar in policies etc. Confused on who to vote for? you will be! Bring back the monster raving loony party! Whatever our probs, our mp's are supposed to be our voice though how often they get heard is negligable, i suspect.

As for the Olympics, think it is obscene how much money it's going to cost and it will probly just be another white elephant when the olympics are done and dusted, like the millenium dome. Still can't believe that Boris Johnson is mayor of London. Makes me glad I no longer live there!