PDA

View Full Version : ID Cards

joxville
08-Jun-08, 10:25
Apparently compulsory ID cards may be used to spy on us-now there's a surprise! http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=8517778

Recently in the news was a report of the government wanting to keep a record of every phone call and email, so yet again the government shows it wants to control our every word and movement. How can we trust a government with our private conversations when they have proven they can't look after 2 cd's?

A lot of countries have suffered at the hands of terrorist's but because Uncle Sam gets his butt kicked our government runs screaming from a bogey man that can't be found. Terrorist's, in whatever country you care to think of, only succeed in terrorising the government-the spirit and strength of the people will never be beaten.

Unfortunately our government is using the convenience of these threats against us now.

Cattach
08-Jun-08, 11:08
Two things we could do with immediately -
The Euro and ID cards.

The former because our currency is going down the chute and the Euiro getting stronger.

The later so that we could control all sorts of crimes including the underage binge drinking. And we could use for identifcation for all sorts of activities.

OK some folk wil misuse the ID but then just look at all the misuse that goes on already with fake cards, etc.

Lord Flasheart
08-Jun-08, 11:27
Two things we could do with immediately -
The Euro and ID cards.

The former because our currency is going down the chute and the Euiro getting stronger.

The later so that we could control all sorts of crimes including the underage binge drinking. And we could use for identifcation for all sorts of activities.

OK some folk wil misuse the ID but then just look at all the misuse that goes on already with fake cards, etc.

Agree with Joxville ref the Cards being used to spy on people. Lets face it we have more CCTV cameras per head than almost anyone else and it doesnt seem to do much except make reality TV. As for ID Cards its just a big con in my eyes and wont stop anything as I'll bet there will be fakes within weeks of them arriving (if they ever do), Ive never considered myself a "tinfoil hat wearer" but sometimes the level of monitoring that this goverment wants to go for makes me uneasy.

As for the "underage binge drinking" the best deterrent for that comes form the parents (and I speak as one) it isnt the Goverments job to control and discipine kids .. its ours.

benji
08-Jun-08, 20:26
Have to agree with Joxville and Lord Flasheart - ID cards are going to be an expensive white elephant.

The terrorists who did those terrible things on 11th September were in America entirely legally. ID cards would not nor will stop people from carrying out these atrocities.

If you are 18 and want to binge drink then I suggest you carry one of these:

http://www.pass-scheme.org.uk/

ecb
09-Jun-08, 15:13
There is a current BBC "Have Your Say" about this kind of thing:

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?forumID=4918&edition=1&ttl=20080609151042

The most recommended posts are against it. One of the more amusing comments was:

"If I can prove who I am to get an ID card, then why do I need one?"

percy toboggan
09-Jun-08, 18:11
Relax all...I.D. cards for indigenous born here Brits will never happen ...not in the lifetime of the majority of posters here...and not just auldish trumpers like me.

The incoming Tory Government of 2010 will scupper the whole idea...consigning it where it belongs...to the pile of poor ideas.

I.D. cards for all new arrivals from outside the EU by all means...even include 'em too...why not? Seems a small price to pay for sucking at the udders of the UK Cash cow for a few months/years.