PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2008?

Rheghead
08-Jun-08, 00:05
Thank goodness we have the opportunity of talking unbiased commentary:roll: I want Spain to do it, afterall, they haven't won much. It has to be their year given their talent baseline.:lol:

Who do you support?

Amy-Winehouse
08-Jun-08, 00:16
Spain of course!!!

Real Madrid best club in the world apart from hehehehe ,Im not saying but they are in my opinion.

Germany are the outside bet according to my other half, he wants to go to Spain next month for a holiday so it would be good!!

Moi x
08-Jun-08, 00:20
It's Spain for me too.

¡Viva España!

golach
08-Jun-08, 00:24
Thank goodness we have the opportunity of talking unbiased commentary:roll: I want Spain to do it, afterall, they haven't won much. It has to be their year given their talent baseline.:lol:

Who do you support?
Honestly Rheg, does anyone care, its Football, not the price of the Euro against the Pound, or the price of the Yen against the Dollar, or the price of a litre of Diesel, hardly earth shattering interest IMHO

Amy-Winehouse
08-Jun-08, 00:27
Honestly Rheg, does anyone care, its Football, not the price of the Euro against the Pound, or the price of the Yen against the Dollar, or the price of a litre of Diesel, hardly earth shattering interest IMHO [disgust]

Eh? Some people are interested Golach, just because you arent, doesnt mean others arent does it?
Strange post time

Moi x
08-Jun-08, 00:35
Let him be girl...

They’re tryin to make him go to Euro
He said no, no, no

Moi x

Lord Flasheart
08-Jun-08, 07:44
Poland.

I know a few Poles and they sit with me and cheer on Scotland when we play so I shall be doing the same with them. I have always felt an affintity with the Poles as we both fight like tigers, drink like fish and party like its the last day on earth.

Plus the Polish girls are complete honeys .. ;)

percy toboggan
08-Jun-08, 08:39
Little to do with international football but I've just finished reading Ducan Hamilton's prize winning book....
'Provided You Don't Kiss Me' which relates to the above experience. A rivetting read for those who remember the man, and the game when it still belonged to the working-classes and not everybody had a 'favourite team'
When you stood up to watch if you wanted too and the only football on telly was an hour on a saturday night.

Like him or loathe him you couldn't ignore Clough. He was a giant who strode the world of football across three decades. More interestingly though he was a fascinating character. Explosive, anti-authority and with more opinions than you could shake a stick at. He was also vulnerable and somewhat insecure. Generous to a fault, he never forgot his poverty stricken upbringing.

From humble origins (one of eight) he rose to God-like status amongst the townsfolk of Derby and Nottingham...which says less for them than it does about him. His views on modern football were extremely prophetic, and echo everything I've felt about the way the game has been packaged and manhandled into the entertainment industry. Will the townsfolk of said Midlands connurbations ever feast at the games top table again?

Sadly, the bottle took hold of Cloughie and he didn't quite manage the 'three score and ten' we might all expect...he died in 2004 aged 69.

As for the European Championships, as such they are an irrelevance they will sometimes provide grand entrrtainment, because when passion and skill combine in a quest for glory then this really is the beautiful game sometimes. Skills garnished under a hot sun seem ever more silky and I do believe a team form southern Europe might prevail...possibly Portugal.

Brian Clough never managed England because he rubbed up too many people with his abrasive opinions. He may well have prospered in that role with the players available back then...before Bosman, before Agents and before players held the whip-hand. In today's game he'd be nowhere...a man out of his time and depth. Mind you Cristiano Ronaldo would not have done well on the left wing at the Baseball Ground either...beside the clinging mixture of mud and sand from October onwards he'd have ended up in row 'F' of the Osmaston Road stand more often than not....he's not as resilient as George Best...though by most other tests he's an equally fine footballer.

golach
08-Jun-08, 09:38
Eh? Some people are interested Golach, just because you arent, doesnt mean others arent does it?
Strange post time
I did state that was just my opinion, and in no way did I infer that it should be otherwise.

Angela
08-Jun-08, 10:26
Honestly Rheg, does anyone care, its Football, not the price of the Euro against the Pound, or the price of the Yen against the Dollar, or the price of a litre of Diesel, hardly earth shattering interest IMHO [disgust]

Well...I care, golach! No need for that look of disgust surely!

Yes, it is only football, but I for one do enjoy watching and I'll be supporting Greece. I've lots of Greek friends and the celebrations on 'my' wee Greek island last time round were just out of this world! :D

guitarzan
08-Jun-08, 10:37
As you say golach, you did say that it was in your opinion but at the very start of your post you also said "does ANYONE care?"

Quite clearly by the amount of relevant posts on this thread then yes, some people do care. Why bother posting on a topic which you have no interest on? Beats me...

Back to the case in point though, Spain for me as well... I always bet on them at every major tournament - maybe that's why they get knocked out so early... :(

WeeBurd
08-Jun-08, 10:40
I shall be supporting Italy - nothing to do with football, they are usually the most pleasing to the eye [lol].

MrBurd shall be supporting Germany - I believe that has everything to do with football, and nothing to do with how pleasing they are on the eye ;)!

Cattach
08-Jun-08, 10:51

Who do you support?

Unbiased! I watched both games last night and about every minute there was a reference to England or something England.
He plays for this or that club in England dozensa of times - often about the same player!
His mother is English.
His father is nglaish.
He improvedin the Premiership.
England should be there - 20 times.
Etc, etc.

Angela
08-Jun-08, 11:18
I shall be supporting Italy - nothing to do with football, they are usually the most pleasing to the eye .

Aren't they just! ;) Of course I'm far too old for that kind of thing....... or am I?.....[lol]

Rheghead
08-Jun-08, 12:04
Unbiased! I watched both games last night and about every minute there was a reference to England or something England.
He plays for this or that club in England dozensa of times - often about the same player!
His mother is English.
His father is nglaish.
Etc, etc.

Well, at least Jason Scotland isn't playing!!;):roll:

WeeBurd
08-Jun-08, 12:50
Aren't they just! Of course I'm far too old for that kind of thing....... or am I?.....

NEVER too old, Angela, NEVER [lol]!

scorrie
08-Jun-08, 14:44
Germany are the outside bet according to my other half

?

Germany are tournament FAVOURITES with most bookmakers!!

scorrie
08-Jun-08, 15:00
Two games in and we can already see a pattern forming. Despite a lack of UK participation in the Finals, the BBC manage to bring in every single connection with the UK. Sionko was a former Rangers man, Ronaldo obviously plays for Man Utd, fair do's. However, it started to get a bit tedious hearing a couple of guys going into a tackle being described as Middlesborough versus Newcastle etc. Why can't they just report the action without having to establish some sort of bizarre "ownership" of the players by continual reference to the Premiership?

By the way, I was glad Switzerland lost. Their Head Coach was at the game despite his wife having suffered an epileptic fit and then lapsing into a coma. Pretty poor putting your job ahead of your wife!!

Portugal were my selection at 7/1 in a wide open tournament. Spain were too short for me at second favourites, despite a trophy drought of 44 years. No doubt, without the burden of my tip, they will probably hose in!!

Rheghead
08-Jun-08, 16:05
Why can't they just report the action without having to establish some sort of bizarre "ownership" of the players by continual reference to the Premiership?

Och away man, you're reading too much into it.:)

Moi x
15-Jun-08, 18:13
It's Spain for me too.

¡Viva España!So far so good, but they weren't very convincing last night. :~(

Moi x

_Ju_
15-Jun-08, 18:44
Viva Portugal!!!!!!;)

the charlatans
15-Jun-08, 21:57
Anyone watch tonights game of Turkey vs Czech Republic?
Brilliant last 15 minutes. I laughed at the commentator when he said 'if a UFO from Mars landed on the centre circle then i wouldn't be surprised one bit in this game'.
(Turkey won by the way, 3-2 after losing for quite a while)

I'm loving not caring who wins but just enjoying the games.

Invisible
16-Jun-08, 12:10
His mother is English.
His father is nglaish.
Etc, etc.

You are too true, and the pundits also try to slag of Croatia cos that how England arena in the competition.

I say Portugal for the cup although last night reserve side were poor(ish)

unicorn
16-Jun-08, 12:23
Anyone watch tonights game of Turkey vs Czech Republic?
Brilliant last 15 minutes. I laughed at the commentator when he said 'if a UFO from Mars landed on the centre circle then i wouldn't be surprised one bit in this game'.
(Turkey won by the way, 3-2 after losing for quite a while)

I'm loving not caring who wins but just enjoying the games.

As a fenerbahce supporter I certainly did and loved it but could happily have strangled Volkan for losing his cool and getting red carded, his replacement Rustu in my eyes will do us no favours. I would love to see Turkey win but it is unlikely.

Hibeechick
16-Jun-08, 13:08
Even with last nights result im still supporting Portugal.

The Pepsi Challenge
16-Jun-08, 13:22
The competition has been exhilerating to watch thus far. After having to endure Rangers' ultra defensive, 11-men-behind-the-ball exploits in Europe this season, it's a relief to know entertaining, attacking football is alive and well. Keep the good games coming. My money's on the Dutch.

Hibeechick
16-Jun-08, 14:04
The competition has been exhilerating to watch thus far. After having to endure Rangers' ultra defensive, 11-men-behind-the-ball exploits in Europe this season, it's a relief to know entertaining, attacking football is alive and well. Keep the good games coming. My money's on the Dutch.

What a tournament the dutch are having, absoloutely brilliant to watch!

Cattach
16-Jun-08, 18:56

Great tournament and I have seen every game. You must have missed the first Greek game however as they made Rangers look like an team of super attackers.

guitarzan
17-Jun-08, 08:33
and france - romania?! zidane must have been tempted to pull his boots back on again after seeing that excuse for a game...

france italy tonight though...

Venture
17-Jun-08, 09:40
It has to be Croatia for my choice seeing as half my relations live there. Although the underdogs in this competition I think they could do well. The goal last night from Klasnic was well deserved as he had a kidney transplant less than a year ago. Will definitely be picking up a new football shirt when Im there in August, lovely shade of "blue". Only cost me £5 last time. Have to say though think the Dutch might just come out on top although they haven't really been tested yet.

TBH
17-Jun-08, 11:35
Holland for me, they anihilated the two world cup finalists.

The competition has been exhilerating to watch thus far. After having to endure Rangers' ultra defensive, 11-men-behind-the-ball exploits in Europe this season, it's a relief to know entertaining, attacking football is alive and well. Keep the good games coming. My money's on the Dutch.Greece are the cup holders and they didn't exactly set that tournament ablaze with any great display of positive football. Italy have been playing that way for what seems like forever, didn't do them any harm.

AfternoonDelight
17-Jun-08, 11:53
I've won over £500 so far in bets so I'm already a winner!!! :lol::lol::lol:

(and that's profit, before anyone starts on the old "Oh but how much did you have to bet to get that back... blah, blah...")

scorrie
17-Jun-08, 16:24
It has to be Croatia for my choice seeing as half my relations live there. Although the underdogs in this competition I think they could do well. The goal last night from Klasnic was well deserved as he had a kidney transplant less than a year ago. Will definitely be picking up a new football shirt when Im there in August, lovely shade of "blue". Only cost me £5 last time. Have to say though think the Dutch might just come out on top although they haven't really been tested yet.

I noticed these shirts for Croatia/Scotland "Brothers"

http://www.mandmdirect.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=53110&EM=T&ProductCatalogue=UN284&CatID=

Also available in Blue.

craig16
17-Jun-08, 16:26
turkey will beat croatia in the last 8 and romania will go through tonight no matter what team holland go with imo

Venture
17-Jun-08, 16:32
I noticed these shirts for Croatia/Scotland "Brothers"

http://www.mandmdirect.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=53110&EM=T&ProductCatalogue=UN284&CatID=

Also available in Blue.

Well spotted Scorrie. I always take them something from Scotland so this will be ideal. Many thanks.

scotsboy
17-Jun-08, 19:05
Don't see the Croatia/Scotland link at all - can someone enlighten me?? I personally wouldn't wear one, both on political and sartorial grounds.

George Brims
17-Jun-08, 19:10
Didn't Croatia eliminate the Anglos in the qualifying stages? That would fall under the category of supporting two teams, Scotland and whoever is playing (or in this case, already beat) England.

Venture
17-Jun-08, 20:07
Don't see the Croatia/Scotland link at all - can someone enlighten me?? I personally wouldn't wear one, both on political and sartorial grounds.

Well the only reason I bought it was because I have a football mad cousin living in Croatia who loves anything with Scotland on it. I didn't even see the English connection until George pointed it out. Shows how much I know about football.:lol:

scorrie
18-Jun-08, 00:45

ScoTIA/CroaTIA. Mmm, think we have the makings of a connection. Let's look further:-

Final Qualifying game, England 2 Croatia 3

Oh, England are OUT!!

Come on scotsboy, pay attention at the back. Folks will think you are out of the loop here!!

Ga'n the Scoatia.

ps On a technical point, it would be better for Croatia to be cack. That would mean England were eliminated by two teams not worth a monkeys. This principle is known as Logicus Dailium Recordi ;)

Rheghead
18-Jun-08, 08:48
Ga'n the Scoatia.

Nah, Scrotia sounds more appropriate...:)

dessie
18-Jun-08, 11:55
Holland or Spain to win.....the matches are not to bad at the minute..except for the diving by italy....:lol:

elamanya
18-Jun-08, 15:19
backed portugal before the start..... layed them last night .. canna looose..

scotsboy
22-Jun-08, 15:12

I hope you had a lot on them;)

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Jun-08, 15:58
It's just an expression. Gambling is a mug's game. Thanks for thinking of me all the same. All well with yersel?

:)

dogman
22-Jun-08, 16:48

maybe if the dutch adopted a rangers style way of PLAYING last nite then your money would have been better placed. they play the 4-5-1 like rangers do, they counter attack better than anyone, but if you concede more than you score this beautiful, entertaining, attacking football is pretty meaningless.
will you be enduring scotlands similar, but less effective, style in the world cup qualifiers?

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Jun-08, 19:48
Naw. Am glad the Dutch went out playing attacking football - I have more respect for them now. The tournament has been thrilling to watch, plenty of goals and lots of forward-thinking played in a cavalier style. Maybe the Dutch were inspired by Jock Stein's words?

"There is not a prouder man on God's Earth than me at this moment. Winning was important, aye, but it was the way that we have won that has filled me with satisfaction. We did it by playing football. Pure, beautiful, inventive football. There was not a negative thought in our heads. Inter played right into our hands; it's so sad to see such gifted players shackled by a system that restricts their freedom to think and to act. Our fans would never accept that sort of sterile approach. Our objective is always to try to win with style."
(Jock Stein, 1967)

golach
22-Jun-08, 19:54
Naw. Am glad the Dutch went out playing attacking football - I have more respect for them now.
I am sorry to disagree, I too supported the Netherlands as I have many personal friends who are from the Netherlands , but to say they played attacking football. I thought they were played off the park, and as I said earlier I was supporting them :(

dogman
22-Jun-08, 20:49
Naw. Am glad the Dutch went out playing attacking football - I have more respect for them now. The tournament has been thrilling to watch, plenty of goals and lots of forward-thinking played in a cavalier style. Maybe the Dutch were inspired by Jock Stein's words?

"There is not a prouder man on God's Earth than me at this moment. Winning was important, aye, but it was the way that we have won that has filled me with satisfaction. We did it by playing football. Pure, beautiful, inventive football. There was not a negative thought in our heads. Inter played right into our hands; it's so sad to see such gifted players shackled by a system that restricts their freedom to think and to act. Our fans would never accept that sort of sterile approach. Our objective is always to try to win with style."
(Jock Stein, 1967)

some nice words........ if you have won.
i still think a good defence would have been more inspiring.

The Pepsi Challenge
22-Jun-08, 20:57
Credit to Russia, worthy winners and firmly put Holland in their place. Holland tried, but on the night nothing really came off for them. Watching Spain-Italy, I wish Russia could play Holland could play each other again.

dogman
22-Jun-08, 21:00
agreed. this match is terrible.