PDA

View Full Version : fantastic flight...and fifties France

percy toboggan
07-Jun-08, 15:35
I'm not keen on flying....but I came back to Manchester from Brest Airport today on a turbo-prop airliner with about fifty others, one of those where the wings are slung above the fuselage... The altitude was lower than a conventional jet...she flew at about 24,000 feet. As we crossed over the coast of Cornwall I could clearly see the familiar outline of the coast and Lizard Point...I was staggered how quickly I could then see Plymouth and the Davenport dockyards down below...there was barely a cloud save a few cotton wool balls of fluff to mar the view. I was like a kid in a sweetshop. My five year old g/d was more moved by the model of the aircraft we bought for her. ( a 'Dash-8' - apparently.... for enthusiasts)

We've had twelve days in central Brittany...where the roads are comparatively devoid of traffic, the pace of life is reflected in the relaxed revolving of the wind turbines which seem to pepper the place now.

Small scale they average about half a dozen to the farm......and landowners get two grand a year for each one on their land...might pay better than onions...I dunno.

We rented a cottage in the middle of flippin' nowhere, and a Fiat Multipla - an ugly-bug wagon which grew on me...I was sorry to hand it back really.
We toured around clockin' up 2,000 km's - Mont St Michel, Dinan, and Ploumanache were the highlights....weather was Mancunian Dry - ie.a lot of greyness...just about three days of sunny spells..though, luckily very little rain.

I can barely remember the nineteen fifties, but echoes of those times were all around...from faded shop signs in rural villages and a generally slower pace of life....people rode bikes with shopping baskets at the front..I didn't hear a single siren...and gosh, you can park yer car for nowt almost everywhere.

We suffered from road-blocks when locals got uppity about a hospital closure - good natured mobs taking direct action...which I suppose is more 1970's like but I admire the way the French stand up for themselves, in domestic matters at least.

It's no longer a cheap place to holiday....food is dear...though wine is cheaper. Fuel is catching up with the UK....6.75 Euros for a gallon of diesel. Eating out is firmly in the 21st. century too....and the cuisine is okay, but to me rather over-rated. Eating in was often preferred - mainly because Mrs.T wanted to bring £400 back towards a Scottish jaunt later in the year...her view was positive, but as France is not Scotland, it's never going to win her heart completely. Saddest of all the handiest restaurant in the local town was owned and run by southern English...and lots of 'em were propping up the bar. We could have been in Bognor.

Right, I'm off to sort 400 photo's and an hours worth of video.Good to be back, but I'd prefer 1959....maybe I should contact that Doctor bloke on the telly....I don't want to be eight years old again though...the time travellin' toboggan likes his red wine too much!

horseman
07-Jun-08, 17:42
We went Toronto-Washington last year in a Dash-8,both loved it to bits-smooth quiet an as you say low enough altitude to collect the scenery
When I first clapped eyes on it -my thoughts were -this thing could have been in the 2nd w war,but one of our best flights ever,reccomend air canada to anyone.Best holiday ever to,stayed in York Penn.One time capital of the usa,constitution was apparently drafted there. Gettysburg just up the road, Amish communities to wonder at,massive harley- d store in the town,an Washington is soooooo very interesting.Going again this year soon as mrs'h is over her op.Would to make it about july 3-reeanactment of the big battle,but don't know-love the states but.

percy toboggan
15-Jun-08, 13:42
Despite overwhelming indifference to my French holiday post I've decided to link to me blog. Where anyone bereft enough of entertainment ideas on a Sunday afternoon might care to have a gander. I write these things for my own amusement after all, and be warned.... I am easily peased.;)

The inevitable film 'Clouds over Callac' - the movie will be available soon at cost price....about £2,000 should cover it (he joked)

I'll take this whole post down in a couple of days.

MadPict
15-Jun-08, 13:46
Fuel is catching up with the UK....6.75 Euros for a gallon of diesel.

My local Dick Turpin....[disgust]

Moi x
15-Jun-08, 16:38
Despite overwhelming indifference to my French holiday post I've decided to link to me blog. Where anyone bereft enough of entertainment ideas on a Sunday afternoon might care to have a gander. I write these things for my own amusement after all, and be warned.... I am easily peased.;)

The inevitable film 'Clouds over Callac' - the movie will be available soon at cost price....about £2,000 should cover it (he joked)

I'll take this whole post down in a couple of days.I enjoyed your holiday percy. I went there for a fortnight as a child and I recognise some of the place names.

I'm so glad your efforts at learning conversational French bore some fruit. Just one thing though... Your French spelling is (puts on her best French accent) terrible!

Moi x

Tilter
15-Jun-08, 17:13
Percy,
Your post reminded me of why I love France and the French, though I don't know about Brittany - haven't been there since I spent a school term there when I was 15, when all the old ladies still wore long black dresses and had tall white lace headdresses. I remember sitting on the bus next to one once and kept feeling things going up my leg. She'd got a string shopping bag full of live crabs and lobsters next to me.

percy toboggan
16-Jun-08, 17:14
I enjoyed your holiday percy. I went there for a fortnight as a child and I recognise some of the place names.

I'm so glad your efforts at learning conversational French bore some fruit. Just one thing though... Your French spelling is (puts on her best French accent) terrible!

Moi x
;) I know.
I have been learning from c.d.'s which have no written element. I've got three exercise books full of stuff written how it sounds. I've taken to watching some of my dvd collection with French subtitles and been er...
mildly horrified' at how poor my spelling is.:roll:

It's put me off doing a paper qualification. I think I'll just continue the conversational stuff. Kesskersay 'stuff' on Fransay :lol: ???????

squidge
17-Jun-08, 19:37
My sister lives in Brittany - she has settled there with her husband and children, my parents are moving there next week from elsewhere in France. WE are going in October and after reading your posts Percy - i cant wait.

percy toboggan
17-Jun-08, 19:42
Glad to enhance your anticipation Squidge.

You'll love the place. I miss it already. Torn between next holiday (September) in Normandy/Scotland/Corsica....they all appeal equally.

Tilter
18-Jun-08, 13:26
Torn between next holiday (September) in Normandy/Scotland/Corsica....they all appeal equally.

Normandy is beautiful Percy. Was there 2 years ago and even though on a sad mission visiting Somme area and then up to the beaches, there was no escaping the beauty of the place, and the seaside villages are really quaint and lovely.

percy toboggan
18-Jun-08, 19:21
Normandy is beautiful Percy. Was there 2 years ago and even though on a sad mission visiting Somme area and then up to the beaches, there was no escaping the beauty of the place, and the seaside villages are really quaint and lovely.

You couldn't chuck a couple of names of 'quaint and lovely' seaside villages my way could you please tilter? I'm sat 'ere 'Rough Guide' poised.:)

Sporran
20-Jun-08, 06:10
I enjoyed reading your post about your holiday in France, Percy. :) The slower pace of living in central Brittany sounds nice!

I don't see the link to your blog here, though....

percy toboggan
20-Jun-08, 18:42
I enjoyed reading your post about your holiday in France, Percy. :) The slower pace of living in central Brittany sounds nice!

I don't see the link to your blog here, though....

No, I omitted it because for some reason I've been unable to get back in and correct a couple of rudimentary errors...the kind I don't like to be associated with. I must learn to better proof read.

Thanks Sporran, and anyone else who has had a look. Should anyone else care to it's
http://t0boggan.wordpress.com/