PDA

View Full Version : Time...

sweetpea
07-Jun-08, 01:47
It always amazes me how much time other people have and I hear so many little ditties about time that I wondered what you guys think of it? Or do you have any special thoguhts on time?

Lord Flasheart
07-Jun-08, 05:58
I never have enough really, and when I look at the time that has past I wonder why I still havent got the knack of making the most of it. Plus the older I get the faster it seems to go.

I like the Groucho Marx quote though .. "Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana"

joxville
07-Jun-08, 08:01
With all the 'labour-saving' gadgets and ready meals the people of today have less free time than those of 50 years ago. We are either losing it, trying to make it up, trying to find it or wasting it We just never seem to have enough of it.

Anyone who has seen The Shawshank Redemption may remember the line by Brooks Hatlin on his release after 50 years in prison,"The world has gone and got itself in a great big hurry".

And for what?, I ask you :(

brokencross
07-Jun-08, 08:11
Time is all relative................if your mother-in-law visits, time really drags.

Lord Flasheart
07-Jun-08, 08:54
Time is all relative................if your mother-in-law visits, time really drags.

Your lucky .. it stopped for me when she was round.

Torvaig
07-Jun-08, 09:08
What with the time spent on the org, searching google for answers to questions on the org, answering emails, forwarding emails, and the computer games and the hand held games, and shopping in Tesco and driving the kids to school, guides, brownies, scouts, dancing and taking the dog for a walk, spending time at the hairdressers, getting our nails done, waxing our legs, topping up our tans, reading the Courier, reading the Groat, reading the Sunday papers, watching Big Brother, watching all the talent programmes, watching the football, rugby, voting on those taking part in talent programmes, going for meals in the cafes, restaurants, going for a pint, playing golf, watching tv etc., etc., it's a wonder we have time for anything...;)

P.S. I do believe some people actually go to work as well.....:eek:

golach
07-Jun-08, 09:12
What with the time spent on the org, searching google for answers to questions on the org, answering emails, forwarding emails, and the computer games and the hand held games, and shopping in Tesco and driving the kids to school, guides, brownies, scouts, dancing and taking the dog for a walk, spending time at the hairdressers, getting our nails done, waxing our legs, topping up our tans, reading the Courier, reading the Groat, reading the Sunday papers, watching Big Brother, watching all the talent programmes, watching the football, rugby, voting on those taking part in talent programmes, going for meals in the cafes, restaurants, going for a pint, playing golf, watching tv etc., etc., it's a wonder we have time for anything...

Oh Torvaig, your list of all the activities we get up to, or could get up to has exhausted me, I think I will go back to bed to recover, for a wee while ;)

Torvaig
07-Jun-08, 09:18
With all the 'labour-saving' gadgets and ready meals the people of today have less free time than those of 50 years ago. We are either losing it, trying to make it up, trying to find it or wasting it We just never seem to have enough of it.

Anyone who has seen The Shawshank Redemption may remember the line by Brooks Hatlin on his release after 50 years in prison,"The world has gone and got itself in a great big hurry".

And for what, I ask you? :(

I watched that film and really felt sorry for him and what is more, I really knew how he felt...

Torvaig
07-Jun-08, 09:21
Oh Torvaig, your list of all the activities we get up to, or could get up to has exhausted me, I think I will go back to bed to recover, for a wee while ;)

Ah, but, there's more! What about the time spent trying to get a good deal on holidays abroad to enjoy all this spare time we have, buying all the suntan lotion, body belts for when we are mugged, tying rope to our children so that they are not abducted or else we are looking for short breaks so that we can sit on a crowded train, drive through horrendous traffic....oh how I long for the holidays! ;)

EDDIE
07-Jun-08, 14:16
i think the saying the older you get the quicker the time goes is a very true saying

chaz
07-Jun-08, 15:33
I never seem to have enough time,no matter how early i get up still rush round 90% of the day then fall into bed shattered!! Do cheat a bit with internet breaks so i suppose if i didnt have them would get more done :)

Bomber 1
07-Jun-08, 19:03
I never have enough hours in the day a wee bit of gardening a wee bit of shopping well that be trotting after her indoors Golf range followed by in this nice weather a BBQ which I do then 40 winks ah well not enough hours in the day for me

golach
07-Jun-08, 19:10
I never have enough hours in the day a wee bit of gardening a wee bit of shopping well that be trotting after her indoors Golf range followed by in this nice weather a BBQ which I do then 40 winks ah well not enough hours in the day for me
Bet you tired yourself out chasing all those tropical fish, and running from the OH [lol]

Bomber 1
07-Jun-08, 19:14
Oh I but no tropical just plain old goldfish the size of trout but no as big as they breed in Sutherland lmho [lol]

golach
07-Jun-08, 19:24
Oh I but no tropical just plain old goldfish the size of trout but no as big as they breed in Sutherland lmho [lol]
Typical!!! a Bomber rating bragging again [lol]

Bomber 1
07-Jun-08, 19:30
No that be Her Indoors rating everything bigger in Sutherland Submariners do it deeper [lol][lol]
omg when she reads this lol:lol:

Welcomefamily
07-Jun-08, 23:08
I have to tell my OH if she spent less time worrying about the jobs that I am not doing, she would have the time to do them instead
or we could get some more pixies. :lol:

Anne x
08-Jun-08, 00:08
Ah, but, there's more! What about the time spent trying to get a good deal on holidays abroad to enjoy all this spare time we have, buying all the suntan lotion, body belts for when we are mugged, tying rope to our children so that they are not abducted or else we are looking for short breaks so that we can sit on a crowded train, drive through horrendous traffic....oh how I long for the holidays! ;)

gosh Torvaig you have summed it up so well all that searching for hols at best possible price then clothes shopping ,footwear ,and Mosquito repellant etc
then when all that is achieved
You get a great big bill in for Fuel surcharge the joys of travelling and holidays

Torvaig
08-Jun-08, 00:20
gosh Torvaig you have summed it up so well all that searching for hols at best possible price then clothes shopping ,footwear ,and Mosquito repellant etc
then when all that is achieved
You get a great big bill in for Fuel surcharge the joys of travelling and holidays

To be honest Anne, I haven't been abroad all that much and certainly not to places like Ibiza etc., as I don't like the heat. The weather we are having here just now is warm enough for me.

My friend from Skye was phoning me today to ask when can I go over but that doesn't take much arranging......get the dog into kennels, pack a bag and catch the bus!

I better remember on the midgie repellant though...:lol:

Anne x
08-Jun-08, 00:41
Congrats on your 1k agree with you about Spain etc watch them midgies worse than the mosquitos enjoy Skye

Moi x
08-Jun-08, 00:45
It always amazes me how much time other people have and I hear so many little ditties about time that I wondered what you guys think of it? Or do you have any special thoguhts on time?My dad says he used to sing me to sleep with this little ditty from David Bowie when I was a baby...

Time takes a cigarette, puts it in your mouth
You pull on your finger, then another finger, then your cigarette
The wall-to-wall is calling, it lingers, then you forget
Oh, you're a rock 'n' roll suicide

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Moi x

Angela
08-Jun-08, 11:04
Ah, but, there's more! What about the time spent trying to get a good deal on holidays abroad to enjoy all this spare time we have, buying all the suntan lotion, body belts for when we are mugged, tying rope to our children so that they are not abducted or else we are looking for short breaks so that we can sit on a crowded train, drive through horrendous traffic....oh how I long for the holidays!

So true, Torvaig! We spend so much time nowadays trying to get the best deal on everything and getting everything just right, we really stress ourselves out and end up with far less time and far less energy. Holidays are a prime example but it applies to virtually all aspects of our lives.

It used to be enough to buy something we liked and could afford, but now we seem to spend so long working on achieving the 'perfect' outcome, and often still end up dissatisfied. :confused

We're overloaded with information we spend ages processing and then often discarding as irrelevant, and we have far too much choice. I frequently find myself just staring blankly at a supermarket shelf, being totally unable to come to a decision ....and ending up buying nothing....a real waste of time.

Btw, congrats on your 1K! Quantity and quality! :D

northener
08-Jun-08, 13:29
My dad says he used to sing me to sleep with this little ditty from David Bowie when I was a baby...

Moi x

Or....

Time, in quaaludes and red wine
Demanding billy dolls
And other friends of mine.
Take your time.

....I look at my watch it says 9.25
I think 'Oh God I'm still alive'
We should be on by now

'Time' by Bowie.

northener
08-Jun-08, 13:31
Typical!!! a Bomber rating bragging again [lol]

Speaking as a Skimmer: They're all the same, Golach......

Lord Flasheart
08-Jun-08, 14:04
I suspect time seemingly passes at different speeds for Men and Women. After spending a good twenty minutes with the other half she insisted it was only ten.

golach
08-Jun-08, 14:37
Speaking as a Skimmer: They're all the same, Golach......
Lol Northener, me too

joxville
08-Jun-08, 19:14
My dad says he used to sing me to sleep with this little ditty from David Bowie when I was a baby...

Moi x

This was sung to get you to sleep! I thought more likely to give you nightmares.

Anne x
08-Jun-08, 19:24
Lol Northener, me too

I but the Submariner did it longer and deeper just not skimming across the surface [lol]

northener
08-Jun-08, 19:39
I but the Submariner did it longer and deeper just not skimming across the surface

Longer and deeper? Can't be talking about bathtime then! That's something the Submarine Service definitely skim over!
Pass me the foofs....I need a sludgemariners dhobey:lol:

Did you know there's only three things a Skimmer will throw over the side? Puke, empty beer cans and depth charges.;)

Anne x
08-Jun-08, 19:40
Longer and deeper? Can't be talking about bathtime then! That's something the Submarine Service definitely skim over!
Pass me the foofs....I need a sludgemariners dhobey:lol:

Did you know there's only three things a Skimmer will throw over the side? Puke, empty beer cans and depth charges.;)

LOL [lol] Gonna pass that on delighted with that No a lot of Showers then was it ?

northener
08-Jun-08, 23:23
LOL [lol] Gonna pass that on delighted with that No a lot of Showers then was it ?

Indeed, on the old diesel boats there were no real shower facilities and fresh water was always at a premium. So the submariners had to make do with loads of 'foofs' (talcum powder and deoderant).

Couple this up with the fact that they had to share bunks (hot-pitting) and you have a recipe for some rather ripe smells coming off a boat crew.......

So Skimmers have always looked down their noses at their unclean undersea colleagues;)

I believe the modern subs are a lot more poncey now ( I even heard they are now fitted with an inside toilet:eek:) - but bad smells stick!

golach
08-Jun-08, 23:30
Indeed, on the old diesel boats there were no real shower facilities and fresh water was always at a premium. So the submariners had to make do with loads of 'foofs' (talcum powder and deoderant).

Couple this up with the fact that they had to share bunks (hot-pitting) and you have a recipe for some rather ripe smells coming off a boat crew.......

So Skimmers have always looked down their noses at their unclean undersea colleagues;)

I believe the modern subs are a lot more poncey now ( I even heard they are now fitted with an inside toilet:eek:) - but bad smells stick!
And they Glow in the dark too, and drink Pomagne by the case, allegedly

Anne x
08-Jun-08, 23:34

LoL Yes have been on a diesel it stunk all be it a old Russian one berthed in Victoria Harbour BC could hardly move in it and Im 5ft 1ins
be ye skimmers or submariners the stories are good as with all sailors

golach
08-Jun-08, 23:44
LoL Yes have been on a diesel it stunk all be it a old Russian one berthed in Victoria Harbour BC could hardly move in it and Im 5ft 1ins
be ye skimmers or submariners the stories are good as with all sailors
Anne x I bet Bomber 1 got his buttons for swinging the lamp [lol]

Moira
09-Jun-08, 18:48
Time is all relative..............

It surely is brokencross. In my experience, five minutes spent in the Dentist's waiting room seems like five hours. :( On the other hand, five hours spent in company of good friends, food and wine goes by in the blink of an eye.....

What with the time spent on the org, ...........
Thanks for reminding me I could manage without the "going to work" bit. Unfortunately, my Bank Manager says "NO" :D

Torvaig
10-Jun-08, 07:02
It surely is brokencross. In my experience, five minutes spent in the Dentist's waiting room seems like five hours. :( On the other hand, five hours spent in company of good friends, food and wine goes by in the blink of an eye.....

Thanks for reminding me I could manage without the "going to work" bit. Unfortunately, my Bank Manager says "NO" :D

You would do better going to the Man from Del Monte; he always says "Yes"...;)

Moi x
11-Jun-08, 23:51
This was sung to get you to sleep! I thought more likely to give you nightmares.Me too, but apparently I loved it, and I used to do the actions by pulling on his fingers and smiling at the right moments.

Moi x

George Brims
12-Jun-08, 20:18
Time is all relative.
Einstein was once asked to explain relativity in simple terms. He said "An hour spent with a pretty girl can seem like a minute. A minute sitting on a hot stove can seem like hours. That's relativity." Smart bloke that Albert.