PDA

View Full Version : Telephone extension/sockets

Sandra
29-Nov-05, 14:54
Can anyone recommend someone to install a telephone extension/socket, or is it best to ask BT to do this?

Does anyone know how much it would cost to get an extension installed?

krieve
29-Nov-05, 15:08
Called bt out not that long ago but luckly it was one of my friends dad and he phoned me and checked the line without coming to the house. He said if i come out to the house its a £60 pound called out fee and thats before i do anything. so maybe see if you can get someone else to do it you would be cheaper.

Chillie
29-Nov-05, 15:19
From BT it costs £99 per socket you can buy a DIY kit very easy to fit. If you lived in Wick could of done it for you for a small fee.

jay
29-Nov-05, 16:22
why not just buy a two way adaptor and an extension lead - that should only cost a few pounds and are available from Graham Begg's or City Electrical Factors if you are in Wick, they even have them in lidl's some times, probably also in Woolworth

fed-ex
29-Nov-05, 16:30
You've just done Chillie out of a job there....

Sandra
29-Nov-05, 16:40
Ok, this is what I have: the telephone 'point' is at the top of the stairs on the landing, this has a lead to a socket downstairs at bottom of stairs.

I want to be able to put another socket in a bedroom. Because the only socket is at the bottom of the stairs, does this mean I would have to have another lead running from this back up the stairs to the bedroom, or could I run a lead from the original telephone point?

shin chan
29-Nov-05, 16:59
There are now telephones on the market that you can have two working from one socket without the need for a socket upstairs in the bedroom. As I bought a new one as my old phone got broken it was only when I went to plug the two of them in I realised that I only needed on socket and the one in the bedroom works perfectly. It is a digital cordless telephone answering machine plus charger that I have but I am sure that there are other kinds available with the same thing. You would need to ask in the shop. I bought mine over the internet.

Sandra
29-Nov-05, 17:05
Ok, thanks for this. However, I forgot to give my reasons for wanting the socket upstairs, it is so I can connect a Sky box (have just had sky+ installed and have moved old box to upstairs, and it needs to be connected to phone line for 12 months cos it's on a multi-room subscription).

I might just run an extension from the socket downstairs.

Note to myself - make sure I include all details in original post :)

jambo
29-Nov-05, 19:52
try macleans elec at wick airport if u need an extension for phone.

highlander2222
30-Nov-05, 16:49
try macleans elec at wick airport if u need an extension for phone.

What is wrong with C E F????

Karaoke Queen
30-Nov-05, 19:28
Far better service in CEF

jambo
30-Nov-05, 21:46
well if u want quality u know where to go.

Biker
30-Nov-05, 22:49
Rather than call out a telephone technician from BT or a local shop, get an extension kit, also available locally. This will include a doubler socket and an extension line. You can run (as far as I can recollect) 30m from the main BT socket in the house.

I had to do this in my house as only the main socket worked. I have put in 3 sockets around the house to connect Sky+, Sky and Broadband with no problems whatsoever.

The only thing to be wary of with some kits is trying to wire into the back of existing sockets, might look neater but is an absolute to get right, go for the doubler type extensions and it works very well and is very easy to do.

Fran
01-Dec-05, 00:36
If you were elderly or hard of hearing you could get an extra socket put in for free. I arranged this for my mum. Also you can get like a mouse thing for your other television so you can watch sky in another room. i have one but im not sure of the proper name for it.