PDA

View Full Version : Brand names - which ones can you NOT live without?

armanisgirl
06-Jun-08, 16:18
Following on from the 2p sausage thread, what 'brand name' items can you not live without? For me, it has to be 'Jolly Green Giant' sweetcorn. I've tried the cheaper varieties, but they just don't match up. Also can't stand shops own teabags, but vary the brand depending on the offers that are on; usually Tetley's or PG Tips for me.

Are there any brand named items that you can't get any more that you really really miss?

sweetpea
06-Jun-08, 16:50
The only things I have to have are Heinz tomato soup and sauce, others don't do it for me. I really miss cremola foam:(

Solus
06-Jun-08, 17:26
red bull ! breakfast would not be the same with out my kick start

dogman
06-Jun-08, 17:28
tennants, definitely tennants

the_count
06-Jun-08, 18:08
it would have to be heinz beans and nescafe instant coffee. no one else makes beans like heinz.:lol:

Ash
06-Jun-08, 18:12
eh mine is probably my shampoo, dont like cheap shampoo or bath products....

bobandag16
06-Jun-08, 18:36
tennants, definitely tennants
with you all the way. tennants super @ 9/per cent alcohal takes some beating stronger than most bottles of wine.

poppett
06-Jun-08, 18:37
"Astonish" bathroom cleaner.

Bleach in an old fashioned container.

Drippy gloss..........can`t abide the non-drip stuff.

Anne x
06-Jun-08, 19:14
Lea & Perrins the original Worcestershire Sauce use it so much in my cooking

Cedric Farthsbottom III
06-Jun-08, 19:24
Heinz Baked Beans.

Billy Boy
06-Jun-08, 19:26
Heinz Baked Beans.

Is that cos they give you the most farting power lol [lol][lol]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
06-Jun-08, 20:00

[lol]It has to be done.

scorrie
06-Jun-08, 22:14

"A million housewives every day,
pick up some skiddy drawers and say,
Beanz Meanz Linez!!"

Cedric Farthsbottom III
06-Jun-08, 22:24
"A million housewives every day,
pick up some skiddy drawers and say,
Beanz Meanz Linez!!"

[lol][lol]Class!!!......brilliant scorrie

TBH
06-Jun-08, 22:31
Following on from the 2p sausage thread, what 'brand name' items can you not live without? For me, it has to be 'Jolly Green Giant' sweetcorn. I've tried the cheaper varieties, but they just don't match up. Also can't stand shops own teabags, but vary the brand depending on the offers that are on; usually Tetley's or PG Tips for me.

Are there any brand named items that you can't get any more that you really really miss?There is a rumour that most value, etc, whatever each business calls it's products, are actually produced by the same companies.
This stretches accross white goods and groceries, apparently.
Can you still get omo? My wife used to place it in the window when I was at work. Her bit on the side would see that the old man was out.

scorrie
06-Jun-08, 23:36
There is a rumour that most value, etc, whatever each business calls it's products, are actually produced by the same companies.
Can you still get omo? My wife used to place it in the window when I was at work. Her bit on the side would see that the old man was out.

I think Omo died out when it became less tolerable to mention that you were:-

"Just going home to do the washing with a little 'Omo" ;)

Oddquine
07-Jun-08, 00:02
Brand names aren't an issue for me......but unfortunately they are for some of my friends/family.

So I buy dear stuff to have for them........and use cheap stuff myself.

TBH
07-Jun-08, 00:05
Brand names aren't an issue for me......but unfortunately they are for some of my friends/family.

So I buy dear stuff to have for them........and use cheap stuff myself.Keep the empty expensive bottles and fill them with the cheap stuff, they will never know.[lol]

Cedric Farthsbottom III
07-Jun-08, 00:28
Another one is Tesco Value Brown Sauce.......ooops!!!!.....Naw I meant HP.........I think I got away wi that!!!:lol::lol:

2little2late
07-Jun-08, 00:49
A brand name I couldn't do without is Nescafe.

joxville
07-Jun-08, 08:11
I couldn't live without my Lamborghini or Rolex, everything else seems so cheap in comparison.[lol]

joxville
07-Jun-08, 08:15
The only things I have to have are Heinz tomato soup and sauce, others don't do it for me. I really miss cremola foam:(

Here's a link for you to check out sweetpea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creamola_Foam

joxville
07-Jun-08, 08:17
Lea & Perrins the original Worcestershire Sauce use it so much in my cooking

Yeah, it's great for disguising screw-up's. [lol][lol]

joxville
07-Jun-08, 08:22
I think Omo died out when it became less tolerable to mention that you were:-

"Just going home to do the washing with a little 'Omo" ;)

That would also be around the time when, rather than going home, it became fashionable to be 'coming out'. ;)

Lord Flasheart
07-Jun-08, 09:02
OMO used to be placed in the window by service wives to denote "Old Man Out". I'll leave you to work out why.

For some reason I will only buy Kelloggs Fruit and Fibre, nothing else seems to taste quite the same. And Heinz tomato sauce as well, I wont buy any other brand.

And sweetpea you can still buy a Creamola Foam lookalike .. http://www.cybercandy.co.uk/aaasmt/index.php/url_pmet3/xlc_3370/xdbc_Creamola%20fOAM/dbtc_1/pic_1/add_custsearch/stc_0/scope_short#3370 .. the reviews dont speak too highly of it though.

tisme
07-Jun-08, 09:12
Heinz Salad Cream.......nothing else compares. Just had a cheese roll with it on for my breakfast, yummy.

golach
07-Jun-08, 09:20
I am a great lover of HP Brown Sauce, and I could no do without my Knorr Chicken Stock cubes, my Tattie soup would not taste the same without them :Razz

Geo
07-Jun-08, 10:41
I really miss cremola foam:(

Apparently it's coming back. However the recipe has been lost so they are trying to reverse engineer it from samples so it may be some time.

Bomber 1
07-Jun-08, 11:49
HP Brown Sauce everytime

highbury
07-Jun-08, 12:00
Guinness !!!!!!!!!!!

2little2late
07-Jun-08, 13:15
How many people would be able to go without Camp coffee and Izal (Slide 'N' Spread) toilet paper? [lol] [lol]

joxville
12-Jun-08, 19:41
How many people would be able to go without Camp coffee and Izal (Slide 'N' Spread) toilet paper? [lol] [lol]

It's not often on the .org you can use the words Camp and slide & spread in the same sentence.:cool:

sweetpea
12-Jun-08, 19:49
Here's a link for you to check out sweetpea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creamola_Foam

Okay, well maybe I don't miss it any more, not after reading the ingredients and being on a detox just now, it would send me loopy haha;)

jimmy nuteron
12-Jun-08, 20:09
what ever happend to le coq sportif

George Brims
12-Jun-08, 20:21
There is a rumour that most value, etc, whatever each business calls it's products, are actually produced by the same companies.

This is true in some cases, but not in others. Don't Tetley actually print on their packaging that they don't supply tea to anyone else?

George Brims
12-Jun-08, 20:24
Guinness
Old Pulteney
Moet & Chandon (actually I drink the cheap California stuff all the time, but if I had more money it would be Moet!)
Tetley and Nambarri tea.

Julia
12-Jun-08, 21:17
Heinz, Kenco, Elvive, whoever makes Galaxy, Typhoo and dare I say it Microsoft

hotrod4
12-Jun-08, 21:23
I couldnt live without my reggae reggae sauce.
Chips have never been the same since Levi Roots put some "soul" onto my food :)

joxville
12-Jun-08, 21:40

This certainly does apply to a lot of white goods. My brother is a service engineer for Hotpoint-Indesit and he told me many of their machines are re-branded for large outlet's. Also, occassionally Comet will sell a Hotpoint branded machine at an exclusive sale price that you won't get anywhere else-the reason for the 'great deal' is because Comet have an exclusive deal that they are the only suppliers of that particular machine in the UK! Of course, other retailers do the same sort of trading practice with other types of goods.