PDA

View Full Version : Broadband speed

stevie080
29-Nov-05, 12:44
Hello all.
I have currently have 512k broadband but when I ran a speed check on it this showed as just over 200k is this normal I have tried at different times of day etc but its usually the same. Iam signed up with this company for a few months yet so theres no changing just yet.
Also if anyone has a link to a decent speed checker that would be great.
:(

pedromcgrory
29-Nov-05, 12:56
http://www.auditmypc.com/internet-speed-test.asp .try this one see if any difference im on a 2272kbs and i get speeds of up to 1995kbs

stevie080
29-Nov-05, 13:03
Thanks for the quick reply I will try this when I get home.

loganbiffy
29-Nov-05, 13:12
aye its to do with bandwith, tis a pain in e arse if you ask me, ive got the same connection as pedro and the same thing happens, it will never peak at its maximum.

DrSzin
29-Nov-05, 13:15
You can also try the ADSLGuide speed test (http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp) or the Giganews one (http://www.giganews.com/test_connect.html). (Use the European server for the latter.)

I have a nominal 1Mbps broadband service at home, and I usually get download speeds well in excess of 0.9Mbps. I'm waiting for my ISP's 8Mbps service to come onstream before upgrading. Obviously, I don't live in Caithness.

The fastest ADSLGuide download speed I've had at work is 33Mbps, so home internet is catching up but it has a bit of a way to go yet.

EDDIE
30-Nov-05, 00:08
You have to remember its speeds up to 512k not guaranteed 512k.
Also if you are on the internet the speed will alter depending on how busy the website your at.Also a lot of people think that haveing broadband u can download big files fast on a file sharing website like kazza but u wont because your on a peer to peer network u will be lucky if your downloading at 30kb.
Intenet speeds are loads better now to what it used to be like when the modem was the only means to access the internet.

Geo
30-Nov-05, 11:30
I'm on 512k and speed checks are normally around 496k, with download speeds usually about 58k. Very pleased with it.

Who are you with? If I was generally getting half the possible/expected speed I would be speaking to them about it.

stevie080
30-Nov-05, 12:01
Im currently with a company called homecall. This includes the phoneline rental,broadband etc.
I checked with the speed test from above and i got a result of 407 which I guess isn't too bad fastest yet!! I know that I dont get true 512speed but what made me check out the speed was I have been playing games online for a while since I got broadband and it was good but lately its lagging quite badly and there wasnt even a large amount of people on the server.
I have a couple of months left with homecall then I will probably be looking elsewhere for a good isp.

Sianymo
30-Nov-05, 12:30
Hello all.
I have currently have 512k broadband but when I ran a speed check on it this showed as just over 200k is this normal I have tried at different times of day etc but its usually the same. Iam signed up with this company for a few months yet so theres no changing just yet.
Also if anyone has a link to a decent speed checker that would be great.

Is your broadband modem plugged into a phone extension lead?
If the extension is old and slightly damaged it will cause the speed to drop. Replacing the cable usually works.

stevie080
30-Nov-05, 12:49
It is in through an extension lead but its always gone through this lead and it was a brand new one that was installed around 10months ago for me getting broadband. Im thinking about getting 2meg broadband but dont know if this is available in halkirk yet.The game i was playing was being run on a windows 2000 server but its been changed to an xp server now which is the same operating system iI use ( hopefully all the terms are correct lol )