PDA

View Full Version : flu jab

Fran
29-Nov-05, 02:13
I have heard of several people who were quite ill after getting the flu jab. they suffered running nose, sore throat, cough, sore legs and arms and a general weakness and tiredness.
do you know of others who were ill for a few days after their flu jab and is it just in the one area of the county?

Chillie
29-Nov-05, 04:03
Hi Fran not ill with the flu but i am with my Fray Bentos Tin.. lol

Chillie
29-Nov-05, 04:59
My dad got it 2 years ago got all those symptoms never to the jag since it made him ill for weeks.

lassieinfife
29-Nov-05, 09:20
Being diabetic i get my flu jab begining november every year, never any problems with it .......

Naefearjustbeer
29-Nov-05, 09:20
I think that is quite common effects after the flu jab. I had one once a few years ago and can remember feeling rough for a few days afterwards. My wife had one this year and she felt a bit off for a few days afterwards. Nowhere near as bad as a full blown dose of the flu.

paris
29-Nov-05, 09:45
Had my call up card for the dreaded flu jab as im an asthmatic. Of i went , had the dam thing done, and was ill for weeks aswell. That was 3 yrs ago and ive not had one since.

pedromcgrory
29-Nov-05, 10:04
get mine every year as well through asthma ,and i can say every year im fine even after jab.

golach
29-Nov-05, 10:33
this is my third year of having a Flu Jab, never had any after effects or Flu

armi
29-Nov-05, 10:51
I have been getting flu jab for years. I am a diabetic. Never had any problems and had jab in various countries.

Julia
29-Nov-05, 11:11
A couple of folk in my family get it every winter with no ill effects whatsoever

paris
29-Nov-05, 11:17
Just been talking to my neighbour whos a head sister at our local hospital, she said the jab can simulate a small part of the flu which in turn makes your immune system more resistant to the main strain of the flu virus. It should only last for approx 10 days.

moose and Lindsay
29-Nov-05, 12:23
My daughter gets it due to severe asthma, but this is the 1st year she has felt ill with it, she was quite ill this time for at least 3 days

I don't know if this has anything to do with the flu jab, as she got it 2 weeks ago, but she has a really bad cold just now, worse than usual, she is aching all over, sore sinsus, which she never has, and she is just generally feeling really ill,weak and dizzy

kas
29-Nov-05, 13:28
My 9yr old son seems fine after getting his last week. His colouring in his face has been really pale though. He gets his because he is also an asthmatic.

Fran
30-Nov-05, 01:35
my friend has had heart surgery and got the flu jab and she was ill in bed for 6 days.she was dizzy, tired, weak, wobbly legs and heavy arms. a course of penicillen and paracetomol seems to have worked well. her sore throat and runny nose has gone but she is very tired and lethargic now. she has had flu jabs before without problems, so i was wondering if it is caused by this years jabs??!!

smith2585
30-Nov-05, 01:48
do u have to get the flu jab??
i know it is highly recommended

DRM
30-Nov-05, 02:05
Got a call for an asthma check a couple of days ago and the nurse said I was due a flu jab but they have all run out so no panic there then!!!

moose and Lindsay
30-Nov-05, 12:13
my friend has had heart surgery and got the flu jab and she was ill in bed for 6 days.she was dizzy, tired, weak, wobbly legs and heavy arms. a course of penicillen and paracetomol seems to have worked well. her sore throat and runny nose has gone but she is very tired and lethargic now. she has had flu jabs before without problems, so i was wondering if it is caused by this years jabs??!!

My daughter had a runny nose and sore throat too,she was packing lockets in her, which helped, she also had really bad watery eyes for days, just like bad hayfever, it is odd!!

smith2585: It is better to get it if u have asthma, work with old people, like u do, so u should look into it!!

dirdyweeker
30-Nov-05, 13:29
You are only protected from certain strains of the flu when given the vaccine. There are so many different ones and it is not possible to protect you from them all. You can still "get" the flu as there is not a cure for such an illness with so many strains. The vaccine hopefully will protect you from the worst of them and if you are within the category of those who require it, I think it is wise to take what is offered.

sjr014
30-Nov-05, 14:08
The flu jag can not give you the flu but as with all medicines there are possible side effects, with the flu jag this includes flu like symptoms.

Mad Martigan
30-Nov-05, 14:54
I know of hundreds of patients that had the Flu jag this year, without a single complaint.

moose and Lindsay
30-Nov-05, 20:17
The flu jag can not give you the flu but as with all medicines there are possible side effects, with the flu jag this includes flu like symptoms.

Yes i know that and that is what my daughter had, but it isn't nice, whatever, and i know she didn't have the flu coz we would of got it and we didn't even have a bit of a cold or anything, so i know it was just a symptom

But thanx for pointing it out to everyone, as no one has really said anything about the symptoms

girnigoe
02-Dec-05, 00:34
Well I went to make a repeat prescription for my inhalers and was told I had to let them know if I wanted my flu jab (Ive never had it before).

Phoned them back 15mins later and was promptly told they are waiting for more stock and dont have any at the moment!!

What was the point in asking me in the first place????

brandy
02-Dec-05, 10:08
i have an app next week for getting my jab (diabetic)
just looking into my little boys.. hes not had one before but as he has astma.. looking into it..
i had it last year and had no side effects..
if you are diabetic asthmatic ect highly recomend it as its not nice to get full blown flu..
but heres hoping that everyone has a healthy and happy christmas and new year!